AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a Pioneer Elite SC-37 as a recent birthday gift. I have no speakers whatsoever. What "specs" of speakers should I be looking at as I have no intention to purchase additional amps, etc. Please help me understand how to match the specs of my receiver to an appropriate speaker. I of course don't want to damage a speaker by turning up the volume, nor do I want to underpower a big speaker and never realise the full potential of the speaker.

I know very little about this stuff but had looked at some Klipsch speakers online but not sure what specs to look at, etc... I will start off with 2 floor standing speakers and then later add-on 2 bookshelf speakers for the rear, a center channel, and a subwoofer. I will probably limit myself to 5.1 for now as I intend to use Zone 2 for a pair of outdoor speakers to play a separate source... or can I manage 7.1 with the receiver + have 2 speakers outside for a separate source? I would like to keep my initial 2 floor speakers around 2,000 USD (for the pair... but I have some leeway if I find a great product at a great value).

As you can tell, I am thoroughly confused! I would be happy to call someone on the telephone if they wished to further explain what I have, and what are some good brands and possible models to investigate.

-Trey

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I am pretty sure that avr has pre outs. Just pick speakers and then add an amp if needed. I don't think there is much in the$ 2k range that wont run off an xpa2.

I also recommend strongly considering why you are going floor-stander and if you really should.

Further, if you will be movie watching, grab some cheap$ 100 surrounds for the interem.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
- yes, the sc has pre-outs...

- it's highly unlikely that the op will require external amplification...

at the op... there's a pretty extensive thread on this avr in the "avr subforum".... many of the answers to questions you might have about it can be found there...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
You really need to go to a few audio stores and listen to a few speakers.

Then you can come back and tell us "I really liked the XXXX but found the sound of the YYY bothered me."

Then we can suggest some brands that you may like for which there are deals on.

We also need you to give details like:

- HT/music mix

- size of room

- aesthetic requirements

- etc

·
Registered
241 Posts
Your budget is very good. I suggest you go around your area and go listen to as many brands as you can from Best Buy to specialty stores. Just to get a feel of what each brand brings. Your receiver should be able to handle most speakers.

What is the size of your room? Will this be mainly for music? Or evenly split between music and movies?

As for subwoofer, you might want to buy one in the $800+ range or more. The size of your room will factor in which sub you should buy. The subwoofer does not need to match the speakers in brand. Most forum members preferred online manufactured such as HSU, SVS, Epik, etc....Just go to the subwoofer forum and read up on it.

You might want to look into room treatment as well. Haven't had the chance to do my room but from what I read, it does wonders.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Speakers don't have specs that can tell you what they sound like. I would suggest as others have, to go listen to as many brands of speakers you can. Bring a notepad to jot down notes (The brain is terrible at remembering sound) and bring your own CDs so you know the music well. I would also try to listen to speakers for a good amount of time (more than a half hour). Now you don't have to do that with every speaker as some will not be "for you" instantly. Once you get down to a few choices I would suggest multiple listening sessions with the same speakers.

We can help guide you to brands that may sound like a company you did listen to. Some brands are internet direct only. If we get an idea of what sound you are looking for we can suggest brands to listen to for the in home trial period. Some people may live close and let you demo their speakers.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/0

Speakers don't have specs that can tell you what they sound like.

Of course they do, but if you look at his question: he seems to be asking about amp compatability, not sound.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for this initial input.

I cannot afford additional amps at this time so need to "make do" with the receiver to power my speakers.

i will measure the room and give details on it, as well as provide a mock-up drawing of furniture layout. It will be important to keep in mind we move around so the current layout will not be indicative of the layout in 2 years when we move again (thus versatility will be an important element). We just moved from a 2700sqft house to a 1600sqft condo.. and next time it could be bigger or smaller... never know.

We intend to listen to music and watch movies (and tv) but likely split about 40-60 between music and movies/tv.

anyway, I will make my way around to listen to some speakers. I listened to some Jamo (have model number recorded somewhere) and enjoyed them but will do more listening this week.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can see the SC-37 is 140watt @ 8ohm. Does this mean if I connected a 4ohm speaker the AVR would attempt to output 280watt per speaker?

I like the sound of these speakers but can you tell me if the SC-37 can power them? or will they be grossly underpowered, and if underpowered, what's the practical impact (can't hear? muffled?)?

Front Channel

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 30Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

POWER HANDLING 250W RMS / 1000W Peak

SENSITIVITY 101dB @ 2.83V / 1m

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms compatible

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 1200Hz

ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass-reflex via dual rear-firing ports

INPUTS Dual binding posts / bi-wire / bi-amp

Center Channel

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 59Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

POWER HANDLING 200W RMS / 800W Peak

SENSITIVITY 99dB @ 2.83V / 1m

HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 1400Hz

ENCLOSURE TYPE Sealed

INPUTS Dual binding posts / bi-wire / bi-amp

Rear Channel

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 50Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

POWER HANDLING 150W RMS / 600W Peak

SENSITIVITY 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m

HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 1300Hz

ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass-reflex via quad side-firing ports

INPUTS Single binding posts

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
You should be fine with those speakers. They are very efficient and 8-ohm nominal impedance.

I'll try to be brief and point out a few things very generally to address your questions without trying to be too precise (disclaimer for those who better know the engineering, as I do, and to blunt the immediate criticism for not covering every specific case and exception).

Yes, if you ran to maximum output and your ears didn't bleed, the AVR would try to output twice the power into four ohms as into eight. In practice few amps have the capacity to do that, and in the real world it is rare that you are going to push an amp to its limits. You'll be covering your ears first. I hope!

Underpowered speakers will cause the amp to clip as they get loud, leading to harsh sound and potentially damaging drivers. Overpowered speakers are generally fine unless you listen so loud you blow their drivers. Note that 3 dB increase in sound is noticeable though not much of a change in volume, but requires twice the power. Thus, doubling your power with an external amp would not make a large difference in sound volume.

More efficient (higher sensitivity) speakers will play louder with less power. Your choices are very efficient and the AVR should do just fine. Pick up a spool of 12 gauge wire from Monoprice or similar and enjoy!

All imo - Don

·
Registered
476 Posts
You may want to consider a used pair of Paradigm Studio 60's or 100's.

You can find them for $1,000 bucks or less online.

Giving you plenty of cash to buy the Center and surrounds as well...:)

Can't really go wrong with Studios.

Test,

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What will be suitable speaker wire? I do not have a long distance to travel today, but within a year I could easily have to run 50+ feet to the rear speakers.

I am looking to purchase HDMI cables from BJC (Blue Jeans Cable) as I have read great things about their products and their after-sales support.

What is the best type of plug to use on the speaker wire?

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
BJ is fine. Monoprice has spools of wire in 12-gauge that will also work fine for speakers. Bare wire is what I usually use, but banana plugs are a common option for ease of use.

50' is a pretty long run so you'll want to use heavier gauge wire (12 or even 10).

HTH - Don

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 /forum/post/0

BJ is fine. Monoprice has spools of wire in 12-gauge that will also work fine for speakers. Bare wire is what I usually use, but banana plugs are a common option for ease of use.

50' is a pretty long run so you'll want to use heavier gauge wire (12 or even 10).

HTH - Don

Does speaker wire make a big difference? I hate to invest 7k+ and to not realise full potential by purchasing cheap wire. I dont mind buying what I need, if that is what I need.

·
Registered
29,186 Posts
read this article on speaker wire and decide if you need to spend a lot of money on wire.

I just use monoprice wire for my systems. very inexpensive and good quality.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

If the speakers you're looking at have 97db-101db sensitivity you'll have no problems with your SC-37 powering them.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I use that monoprice 12ga in wall stuff for my surrounds.. it's plenty good. quality and sound and cheap. Got some nakamichi plugs and spades from ebay and built my own ends.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragno /forum/post/19547213

Does speaker wire make a big difference?

Not in my opinion, so long as it's big enough to do the job. Spend the savings on music.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts