AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Just when I thought I'd settled on a RPTV unit, I read an article that almost convinced me to buy a DLP or LCD projector.

Problem is, I am VERY new to this and need a Projector 101 course. My HT will also be used occassionally for general TV and sports. I am aware of the limited lamp life with these things, but if it costs me $300 a year in lamps for a good experience, I am OK with that.

I was going to spend about $4000 on a 61" Hitachi RPTV. Can you recommend a better investment of that money in an LCD or DLP projection and screen setup? My room is 27'D x 18'W x 7'H.

I'd like to get a motorized screen (that retracts into the ceiling) also. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

If I get an LCD or DLP projector, what do I need to hook it up to my progressive scan DVD player? Do I need a HT PC?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
havok,

fortunately you are here.

Demo as many unit as you can but ALWAYS take the salesmens comments with a grain of salt. They rearely know what they are talking about.

If you research technology and do searches on this forum you will know more that 95% of the salesment out there in less than a week. Within a month wyou should start getting an idea of what you want.

Demo as many units as you can!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
msink,

Thanks for the info. Yes, the cieling is only 7' High. That is why I am considering a DLP or LCD projector. They are much smaller and shouldn't stick down too far. I've very few friends over 6'4" tall. ;)

The room is literally being finished still. I plan to have total light control. Because of the height, all of the lights will be recessed or mounted in wall sconces.

Can the Sanyo PLV-60HT also do 4:3 for regular television?

On the subject of screens, a painted wall would work for me, but how does that affect the image vs. a good screen?

Also, If I wanted a 100" diagonal screen, what would the dimensions be (HxW) and what would my throw distance be?

Thanks for the info.

Tryg,

Yeah, I am glad I found this place. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of demoing a lot of equipment, so I will have to rely a lot on advice from here. I've no idea what to consider when there is so much to think about. I'm still trying to figure out what "anamorphic" stands for... :p

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
4:3 materal will be centered with the left and right side blacked out.

As for your wall... check in the screen forum. If it's possible use a grey wall for better blacks and contrast using the digital projector.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have 7 ft ceilings as well. I recommend a 16:9 screen. To get a decent sight line on a 4:3 screen you'd need to run it right to the ceiling. My 16:9 screen starts about 10" from the ceiling, and I can still just barely get the center channel underneath the screen.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My friend, it is time to whip out that grade 10 pythagoran theorum if you want to figure out screen dimensions..

if you want to knwo the dimensions of a 100" diagnoal screen, then it is 100(squared)=h(sqaured)xw(squared)

BUT becasue you know the ratio...it becomes

100(2) = x(2)+1.33x(2); 10000 = x(2) + 1.77x(2);

10000 = 2.77x(2)

x = (sqaure root of) 10000/2.77 = 60 inches...for 4 x 3....so the other side is 60 x 1.33 = 80 inches...

for 16x9, do the same thing...but make the 1.33 into 1.77, and do the math over again.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone, Thanks for the great information. I've a few more questions that pertain to each of your posts...

msink,

It appears your ceiling mount for that projector adds an additional 5" drop. Is it possible to just mount via a plate system and then run the projector image "off-axis?" (did I phrase taht right?)

Jim Ferguson,

You mentioned you have 7' ceilings as well. How low does your projector hang. What are you using? Also, what is your throw distance and what size screen do you have?

David Mendocino,

I hate math. I genuinely suck at it. I will store away your forumla though, so thanks! Funny thing is, I am in sales. All I need to know about numbers is how to make someone want to buy something and to understand my profit margins. :p

Ooops... Forgot to add one more thing. I am willing to up my projector budget to $5K to accomodate this if it will help. Can you recommend any 16:9 "low Profile" projectors that can fire an image off-axis. That is, have it point straight at the wall but it will shine the image slightly down....does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I wasn't sure it was polite to mention it in this forum, but I use a Barco CRT projector :) It is ceiling mounted. I'm 5'9" and the Barco hangs down far enough that it comes right to about the middle of my forehead... Luckily the seating is directly underneath the projector so I don't bump into it ... much.

Someday when I replace this projector with a digital device, I hope to find one I can stand under even if I'm up on my tip-toes :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
"Can you recommend any 16:9 "low Profile" projectors that can fire an image off-axis. That is, have it point straight at the wall but it will shine the image slightly down....does that make sense?"

I guess you mean that the projector is perpindicular to the wall, right?

The majority of the projectors already do this, ie..they have an offset. They project the image nearly 50-100% higher than the lense height.

Is this what you are talking about?

As well, some projectors have mechanical keystone..which will shift the image as well...it is called lense shift...there is digital keystone correction as well, but this creates image quality related issues.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Msink,

Excellent point! I guess I just crossed them in my mind.

You stated it exactly right, Lens shift can prevent keystone, while key stone correction can compensate (while the effect of this, if done digitally, though no optical system exists that I know of, can lead to some visual artificats).

Thank you, fellow Sharp owner. Lens shift is not a common feature, and I am lucky to have it as it DRASTICALLY increases flexibility.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BOOM!!!!!! :D

Information overload and here I am having a hard time explaining that which I am talking about.

Let me rephrase the question. Do projectors generally have feet to change the angle or are they always supposed to be perpendicular to the wall?

I wish I could find a graphic showing what I am referring to...

I think David Mendocino said it best:

"The majority of the projectors already do this, ie..they have an offset. They project the image nearly 50-100% higher than the lense height." -- This describes what I am talking about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.