AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on the forum for a year or so, but I am just now getting enough money to be able to upgrade my system. Right now I have a Marantz SR7002, Polk Monitor 60's (fronts), Polk CS20 (center), BIC F12 (sub), and some old Yamaha Bookshelfs (rears). My TV is a Samsung LN52B750. I am about 60/40 movies to music. Part of that reason though is the Monitor 50's. I like to listen to music on Pure Direct and have all of my music ripped at 320kbps (try to have the best quality I can w/o re-ripping everything into loseless).

Now to my question... I am looking at upgrading my fronts to Monitor Audio RS6's and get a RS LCR for a new center. Now my question is how will these perform for fronts for music and how do people actually like them in a home theater as well? I like to listen to music and movies at a pretty good volume (not rediculous, but I like the feeling of it being like the movies).

One of my friends has a set of Klipsch WF35's pushed by a Pioneer Elite receiver (not sure what model) and they sound phenomenally clear and crisp! I have been thoroughly suprised by them and how musical they can be.

Now to explain the environment they are going into. My house is an elevated floor plan with wood floors throughout except in the kitchen. Here is a layout of my house...

Layout[/URL] by thestige36

Now the den (with the TV in it) is 12'1"x11'9" with the opening to the pool room and the kitchen having no doors. Kitchen is 20'6"x12'6" and the living room (with pool table in it) is 18'5"x13'1". The hallway that also connects to the den can be closed off with a solid door. I know this is a lot of space to fill with bass/midbass. I am generally not that upset with movies with my current setup, but I do notice the midrange just kinda falls flat on its face. I like to have music on while we play pool and just hang out in the kitchen, but right now if the sub isnt on, then the system has about the amount of low range as a boombox.

Any speaker suggestions will be considered, but I just have a chance at a nice set of the Monitor Audios. Considering that there are almost no more HiFi shops here in Memphis, I am kind of S.O.L. on testing some out. I have heard the Klipsch reference series and it sounds nice but the highs are almost too sharp for me.

Thank you for any and all the help!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'm using the Monitor Audio RS6/RSLCR in my main HT setup and I'm pretty happy with them. Have you listened to them yet? Some find them bright but I tend to like that type of sound. I assume you would get them used and if so, how much? I searched for mine for a while so I have a decent idea of fair pricing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lp = listening position? No there are pictures on the wall but no actual absorbtion. Would absorbtion help the midbass become more prevalent?

Are there other speakers you would recommend for filling that kind of space?

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I assume that means listening position...and I think the point is, you want the rears behind your spot, not almost even with it!

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
With this layout, Wrager must have been blind to mention "Not wise to have LP against back wall".

Anyway, no it is not a good idea to be that far back, but room placement is often dictated by, well gee...the room.

You won't be able to do 7.1 in that room...unless one day you feel like putting the couch directly in the way of getting to the kitchen.

Now that REALITY has met home theater, we can move on. I think one of the biggest improvements to your midbass(which I am assuming you mean movies) is to make sure you move your 50(or are they 60??? you start with one, then mention the other) to the rear, and put them facing each other. A room with open sides is always going to lack midbass, and there is really nothing you can do short of adding doors. But a 4 tower speaker arrangement will be a huge improvement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7.1 is not that big a deal to me. I am mainly interested in just having an enjoyable place to watch a movie at home. It doesn't have to be professional but I do want it to sound good. I do have the Monitor 60's right now (not sure why I typed Monitor 50's). When I was speaking of the lack of midbass, meant in both movies but also in music. I am not a big fan of 5.1 music and kind of prefer the 2 channel sound.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Have you thought about flipping the room? My living room theater is laid out like that because of a door to the outside. If you swapped it your speakers would have a full wall to reflect off instead of hollowed out closets. And it would be easier to center the listening position. But that depends if the couch will fit on the other wall. You could always move the couch from the door and make the front of it even to the entry to the pool table. Nothing wrong with floating furniture in a room.

But that also depends if the wall behind the couch contains a window that you'd rather not cover with a TV.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
There might be a lot of reason why you wouldn't want, or couldn't do this, like built in shelves, etc...But you might be adviced to switch walls...put the TV/speaker up against the outside wall. Then you have some flexibility with your couch and you might better be able to utilize your rear surrounds. just a thought.

As many have pointed out recently, the Polk monitor series can be had for pretty cheap, so some M70s with the correct center channel and good sub (3.1) might be a better option, if rearranging he room is not an option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.