AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and don't throw something stupid at me like. My speakers are not efficient enough cause 88db is pretty efficient for defteks. This 4 year old $350 dollar receiver shuts off at high volumes. I mean could it be the speakers? Could it be the tinsel leads probably hitting each other on the spider flex? I am not sure. It happens and shuts off mostly on explosions or loud impactful bursts. There have been times I left my receiver on all night through its 4 year life but that shouldn't be the reason that an output transistor is ****ting the bed. It is just a crap quality receiver I guess. I don't even like Denon now and I might just go Pioneer. I can't afford anything over 1000 but I just want a nice receiver with a ton of good features for music and blurays. I have my computer connected via HDMI to my samsung 40" nice TV I picked up less than 2 years ago.

·
Registered
744 Posts
To start .... is this this a new issue or has it always done this?

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
Do you need 5.1 or stereo...

If only 2 channel stereo, check out the HK 3490 125W x 2...

Just my 💰 ... 👍😉

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Denon as a brand does not 'suck' just because your 4-yr old entry-level AVR now developed a fault from what you described in your last thread. Every brand has units that fail sooner or later. You should know that since you said you worked at ...

EDIT

Read this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461764/hi-i-have-a-denon-avr1507-7-1-reciever-and-just-got-some-definitive-technology-speakers-unit-shuts-off-at-high-volumes-red-blinking-light

The AVR shuts down even with no speakers connected.

The 1507 is 6-yr old, not 4, since we're now on xx13.

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
I wouldn't go Pioneer. Pioneer receivers use MCACC and it doesn't EQ the sub at all. Also Pioneer receivers don't EQ any of the other speakers below 63Hz. Not ever the higher end Elite models.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wronganswer  /t/1465969/so-does-denon-pretty-muc...ant-even-handle-my-speakers-lol#post_23146303

Sounds to me that you have low impedance speakers, or a broken speaker cable...

Just don't go Onkyo. I know what it feels like. I was extremely pissed when my Onkyo crapped out very shortly after buying it. I got so pissed off that i'm running my RC-10's off my Z5500 until I get a proper amp.

Seriously speaking, there's no need to spend tons of cash on a receiver. There are tons of solid deals on non-Denons right now (RXV-673/773, SC1222K/1522K, etc). That being said, if I could find a solid deal on a Denon that would still be my go to brand (second to Marantz).

·
Registered
380 Posts
well at $350 I'd say Denon is good as is Yamaha, Pioneer and Sony. You could always go the used market and pick up a better AVR that's a few years older. But if you can do around $1000 I'd recommend the Anthem MRX 300, I've seen it on the used market at $700, I'm not aware of any AVR in the price range having a better or as good room correction. If funds are tight I believe there is a online store selling the Pioneer, non elite but with the D3 amp for like $500-600 which would be a steal of a deal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman  /t/1465969/so-does-denon-pretty-muc...ant-even-handle-my-speakers-lol#post_23145936

To start .... is this this a new issue or has it always done this?

Just started to do this but than again the crappy speakers I had before. I never blasted them cause they sounded so bad at even 20. This happens at 12 volume and usually when something happens kinda loud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage  /t/1465969/so-does-denon-pretty-muc...ant-even-handle-my-speakers-lol#post_23145996

Give a bit more info, such as what receiver you have.

Its an avr 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code  /t/1465969/so-does-denon-pretty-muc...ant-even-handle-my-speakers-lol#post_23146033

Do you need 5.1 or stereo...

If only 2 channel stereo, check out the HK 3490 125W x 2...

Just my 💰 ... 👍😉

surround and DTS is what I use. This is a 7.1 but I only use it as a 5.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wronganswer  /t/1465969/so-does-denon-pretty-muc...ant-even-handle-my-speakers-lol#post_23146303

Sounds to me that you have low impedance speakers, or a broken speaker cable...

It is rated for the proper ohm output the speakers are Definitive Technology

and these is yes is a entry level receiver but its not the cheapest one that Denon has. Not This is like the 4th model up at the time

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I own a SC-1522-K and my wife was playing 2.0 music at very high volume, and my receiver turned off several times until I changed it to extended stereo to we're it uses the 7.1 set up. Thereafter, it stopped turning off. I also noticed that it got very hot while playing the 2.0 at high volumes. I think she had it at -20 dBs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
AuzyAudio, check your speaker cables for dents or exposed wires. Make sure thar you are using at least 16 gauge wires, this will prevent wires heating heating at high volumen. You matched the impedance between avr and speakers, and I dont see why is shutting off besides going into protection. If you can, check the receiver with other speaker.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Another possibility is if you can look into the top with a flashlight and look for swollen or leaking caps this happens on subs after a few years (usually 5 or more) as the demand for more power they break down quicker .

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Provided you do not care about audyssey and its magic touch, you can go with Pioneer. They make great receivers that just seem to last forever.

·
Registered
12,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage  /t/1465969/so-does-denon-pretty-muc...ant-even-handle-my-speakers-lol#post_23147321

Provided you do not care about audyssey and its magic touch, you can go with Pioneer. They make great receivers that just seem to last forever.

Are you aware that Sherwood builds the majority of Pioneer AVRs... 😳

Just my 💰.... 👍😉

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wronganswer  /t/1465969/so-does-denon-pretty-muc...ant-even-handle-my-speakers-lol#post_23146624

AuzyAudio, check your speaker cables for dents or exposed wires. Make sure thar you are using at least 16 gauge wires, this will prevent wires heating heating at high volumen. You matched the impedance between avr and speakers, and I dont see why is shutting off besides going into protection. If you can, check the receiver with other speaker.

I am using 16 gauge for the rears and 14 for the front. They are monster and it doesn't shut off at high volumes at all on stereo which does have me confused if it really is the output transistor. I suppose it could be a bad wire but I am not really sure cause even if I put it in 5.1 and crank it in "5.1 mode" with the back speakers not even connected it will shutoff. It would only go into protect I thought if it was a wire issue. Not just blink red and go off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage  /t/1465969/so-does-denon-pretty-muc...ant-even-handle-my-speakers-lol#post_23147321

yeah its too bad my Denon is too low end to have Audyssey capability. So yeah thats not happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech  /t/1465969/so-does-denon-pretty-muc...ant-even-handle-my-speakers-lol#post_23146925

Another possibility is if you can look into the top with a flashlight and look for swollen or leaking caps this happens on subs after a few years (usually 5 or more) as the demand for more power they break down quicker .

I will give it a shot. Kinda tough to see all of them or the transistors in there. I called a repair shop and they told me $200 to fix it minimum. Obv I wouldn't spend that kind of money unless I had a 1000 dollar one.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuzyAudio  /t/1465969/so-does-denon-pretty-muc...ant-even-handle-my-speakers-lol#post_23147922

I am using 16 gauge for the rears and 14 for the front. They are monster and it doesn't shut off at high volumes at all on stereo which does have me confused if it really is the output transistor. I suppose it could be a bad wire but I am not really sure cause even if I put it in 5.1 and crank it in "5.1 mode" with the back speakers not even connected it will shutoff. It would only go into protect I thought if it was a wire issue. Not just blink red and go off.
Thats not a good sign... Is time for a new receiver

·
Registered
487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code  /t/1465969/so-does-denon-pretty-muc...ant-even-handle-my-speakers-lol#post_23147869

Are you aware that Sherwood builds the majority of Pioneer AVRs... 😳

Just my 💰.... 👍😉

I did not know this. I thought Sherwood was owned by a Korean company, Inkel Corp. Do you mean that Inkel's factory in China makes both Sherwood and Pioneer? If so, are they making all the Pioneers - VSX and SC lines? Do they make AVR's for any other manufacturer? Please elaborate - I think a lot of us Pioneer owners would like to know more about this.

For the record, I have had various Pioneers Elite AVRs for over ten years now (use them as pre/pros) and have had trouble free service with all of them. In terms of quality, I really don't think they are any different than any other mainstream brand - Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, et al. They are only AVR's with very limited power supplies - you push their amp sections too hard and they will shut down.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts