AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all the top manufactures are all releasing 3D machines now and not bothering with 2D

I just wish a Mits HC4200 or something like that was being released, but everything seems to be 3D

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
Actually I think the 3D craze has had a beneficial impact.

It has forced the manufacturers to create brighter projectors without sacrificing contrast (well let's hope so anyhow).

So far, the 3D versions of projectors have been a good bit brighter than previous models but also have at least equal contrast, but in some cases better contrast in 2D. That is, the newer projectors have brighter best modes without being nerf'd in the contrast department.

As far as cost goes, yah it has raised the cost a little for this year maybe, but that is probably a temporary thing. Pretty soon the difference between 2D and 3D projectors should be minimal, if they even produce many non-3D HT projectors after 2012 (I assume only a few will).

The way I see it is, even if you do not like 3D, the craze has forced manufacturers to go back to the drawing board and make some improvements that otherwise may have never been done. The 3D craze has breathed new life into projectors IMHO.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 /forum/post/20880682

Well until the make 3D without glasses am not to bothered about it

your gonna be waiting a long time. Until then we shall enjoy our 3d with glasses that you forget your even wearing

·
Registered
15,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 /forum/post/20883713

If you love 2d only, what is wrong with the current Mitsubishi HC4000? Or the JVC HD250?

Because it doesn't have 3d?

(ok maybe not funny)

·
Registered
469 Posts
There's no question about it. The very thought of 3D drives the weak willed (like me) crazy.

In the run up to Avatar I was mesmerized by the disputation and discussion of differing technologies for projection and image capture. No one was more eager for 3D than I was.

Then I saw Avatar. Good 3D. Bad movie. I havn't seen a 3D movie since.

Yet when the news of the coming generation of Home Theater 3D projectors started heating up I was again swept up in that old 3D hysteria. I began examining the choices that would soon be mine. I again became agitated waiting for CEDIA and 3D product announcements.

For a moment I regained my composure and checked Rotten Tomatoes for 3D content. As it happens the only 3D movie now playing that I would even consider watching is probably the universally panned Conan the Barbarian remake. Even I - a creature consumed by electronic gizmo lust - must admit that to buy a whole new system (3D projector, Blu-ray player, and an HDMI 1.4 compatible receiver) for the chance to see one lousy action movie - is nuts.

·
Registered
JVC RS3100 | Benq HT9050 | MADVR w/ RTX 3080| 130in 2.35:1 | 5.2.2
5,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 /forum/post/0

Are all the top manufactures are all releasing 3D machines now and not bothering with 2D

I just wish a Mits HC4200 or something like that was being released, but everything seems to be 3D

All these 3D projectors do 2D also. In most cases, the 2D is also better than the previous models. I haven't heard of any of them going backwards in 2D quality.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120
All these 3D projectors do 2D also. In most cases, the 2D is also better than the previous models. I haven't heard of any of them going backwards in 2D quality.
Please post some examples?

It appears to me that where 3D PJ's are replacing 2D models, they are doing it at higher price points w/o any real improvements in 2D performance. Essentially the same 2D PJ with 3D added (at additional cost).

Maybe not 'backwards in 2D quality', but the point is we're used to seeing improvements in PQ every year or less, usually at the same price points. Now we seem to see 3D being the focus pushing the 2D PQ advancement into the corner.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy
Actually I think the 3D craze has had a beneficial impact.

It has forced the manufacturers to create brighter projectors without sacrificing contrast (well let's hope so anyhow).

So far, the 3D versions of projectors have been a good bit brighter than previous models but also have at least equal contrast, but in some cases better contrast in 2D. That is, the newer projectors have brighter best modes without being nerf'd in the contrast department.

As far as cost goes, yah it has raised the cost a little for this year maybe, but that is probably a temporary thing. Pretty soon the difference between 2D and 3D projectors should be minimal, if they even produce many non-3D HT projectors after 2012 (I assume only a few will).

The way I see it is, even if you do not like 3D, the craze has forced manufacturers to go back to the drawing board and make some improvements that otherwise may have never been done. The 3D craze has breathed new life into projectors IMHO.

I agree that for us who like brighter projectors that is a big plus for 3D projectors. My left eye sees at like 20/400 and corrective lens don't even help on that eye so I can't see the 3D effect properly so 3D is of no value to me but the added brightness is an added benefit cause I like a bright image....so at least something has come out of 3D projectors for me.

Mike

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I think that once the current supply of 2D units are sold, 3D units will be the only game in town.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow
I think 2D will become specialized - like the 2 channel audiophile stereo. Everything else will be 3D.
I think the opposite.

I don't know anyone that has 3D or even cares about it.

Of course on a specialized forum like AVS, it's the 'new' thang, and there's the lot of people who have to have the new thing. Question is how will it wear over time? Will people get sick of putting the glasses on? Will the 'effect' seem campy after a while?

This is not the first time 3D was the 'new' craze.....

though for hardcore gamers i can see the point. In that field I can see 3D become the 'standard'.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman
I think the opposite.
Do you know of any new BD player, TV, Projector, AV Receiver, Video card being made that doesn't offer 3D (and HDMI 1.4) support ?

·
Registered
65" Panasonic OLED TV, Monolith THX 365/265 5.1.4 Atmos speaker system,Denon X4500 AVR
113 Posts
Someone earlier said there was 1 movie in 3D that they wanted to see in my case it might be 3-4 and that's about it.

They won't be re-making all the good stuff that we watch from yesteryear and the recent past so till Hollywood gets of it's ass and starts making quality 3D movies I will not be jumping on the bandwagon.

As for additional brightness these 3D projectors only have it for 3D, in 2D they are less bright and in any case my HD20 or Epson TW3200 is more than bright enough in my theatre.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
3d requires faster panels, thus 2d benefits due to less or undetectable motion blur. Also, having a brighter image, yet maintaining contrast ratio is an improvement.

The JVC RS40 was actually cheaper than it's 2d predecessors (rs10/rs15), yet provided better 2d performance.

Look at it this way; if there isn't much 2d advancement due to 3d, here's your chance to save money and be happy with what you have! What a novel idea!

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808
3d requires faster panels, thus 2d benefits due to less or undetectable motion blur.
Not an issue or improvement with DLP

Quote:
Also, having a brighter image, yet maintaining contrast ratio is an improvement.
If you need it, i.e., you run a very large screen and/or have ambient light.

But if not, you end up raising black levels, not an improvement IMO.

Quote:
The JVC RS40 was actually cheaper than it's 2d predecessors (rs10/rs15), yet provided better 2d performance.
That depends. The 2D current version would be the HD250 and that is much cheaper. The 2D benefits of the RS40 over the HD250 seems to be real, though it's subjective with some not really seeing/noticing any real improvement, not to mention the RS40 (along with the rest of the 3D line) have been have issues with reliability/lamp life. Doesn't seem to be the same issues with the HD250.

Quote:
Look at it this way; if there isn't much 2d advancement due to 3d, here's your chance to save money and be happy with what you have! What a novel idea!
The way I look at it is that those who've been looking for an upgrade (PJ's a few years old, etc.), will either have to settle for last years models of which many will be discontinued/NLA, and/or wait another year or so for the current 3D models to come down in price.

Bottom line, those who aren't into 3D will still have to suffer/pay for that premium.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.