AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm somewhat disappointed. Their seems to be alot of ghosting and stuttering. When the camera pans it seems like the t.v. has a hard time keeping up with the video. Maybe it's just my eyes but the stuttering and blurriness are too much. Also the picture looks very grainy. In the background there is just alot of grain.My break in settings are everything at 50 and features turned off. I really hope this complaints are just because it's still in the break in period and this is normal but I'm worried thats not the case. I'm 40 hours into the t.v.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Cinema mode is the only mode that eliminates the grain.

Never heard of ghosting on a plasma.

By stuttering do you mean scrolling text?

Blur....you have a 1080p plasma that has over 900 lines of resolution in motion....only top crt's do better.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCraftyVeteranx /forum/post/15565199

I'm somewhat disappointed. Their seems to be alot of ghosting and stuttering. When the camera pans it seems like the t.v. has a hard time keeping up with the video. Maybe it's just my eyes but the stuttering and blurriness are too much. Also the picture looks very grainy. In the background there is just alot of grain.My break in settings are everything at 50 and features turned off. I really hope this complaints are just because it's still in the break in period and this is normal but I'm worried thats not the case. I'm 40 hours into the t.v.

1) What is your source material?

2) What preset are you using (standard, cinema, etc)

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15565313

Grainy picture is a common complaint about this model and is noted on this forum constantly

More like grainy picture is a common complaint from 90% of the people who go from a 27" CRT to a 42+ Plasma

A lot of times, grain is just on the source, there is nothing you can do about it. But yeesh, he has contrast down to 50 and still complains about it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My settings are only like this because of the break in period. Are my complaints common during the break in period? Things like stuttering and bluryness.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i get a blurring trail on the soccer ball when i play fifa 09...i dont know if its inherent in my display or what?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCraftyVeteranx /forum/post/15565398

My settings are only like this because of the break in period. Are my complaints common during the break in period? Things like stuttering and bluryness.

Do you have the option of returning this and getting a good plasma, like a Kuro?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
omeletplants...if you have nothing to offer don't bother posting....rude.

So lcd's are good, but kuro's are the only good plasma, lol.

OP...you said you are breaking it in, but you should still do that process in the "Cinema" mode. This will also eliminate most if not all of the grain unless it is source riddled.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15565674

Do you have the option of returning this and getting a good plasma, like a Kuro?
So, The Panasonic basher shows up again. I have the 42PX80U and have never had a issue with "grainy" video unless its a weak Analog signal or a VCR Tape thats 20 years old.

If you really have a grainy picture, look at the source you are feeding it.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
This has already been posted but I'm trying to add a little signal to the noise -- you must use "cinema" mode. Otherwise you will get noise/grain.

Not sure about the stuttering. Could be the source, the TV wouldn't add anything like that.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackman1 /forum/post/15572164

So, The Panasonic basher shows up again. I have the 42PX80U and have never had a issue with "grainy" video unless its a weak Analog signal or a VCR Tape thats 20 years old.

If you really have a grainy picture, look at the source you are feeding it.

Sorry man, but I'm not the only one here talking about it. Look at the post right above this one and the other many comments strewn around this forum about 80 series PQ. I understand the need to justify what you purchased. Finally, contest my comments but quit bashing me. Follow the forum rules and leave personalities out of it.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/15573833

But again in "Cinema" mode there is no appreciable grain.

Now color accuracy is another issue.

Watch out, no one is allow to say anything critical about the 80 series without people name calling you. Never mind the hundreds of negative comments on this site and independent reviews about the worst plasma Panasonic ever made.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15573977

Watch out, no one is allow to say anything critical about the 80 series without people name calling you. Never mind the hundreds of negative comments on this site and independent reviews about the worst plasma Panasonic ever made.

But they're right...there really shouldn't be any grain (at least none that's not in the original source) if you're using cinema mode. This is the same as every other Panasonic.

E-A-G-L-E-S is right about color accuracy...Panasonic color is pretty offensive to me. There's just something about it that really bugs me while other sets which on paper are equally off look fine.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Some day they will all have a full CMS at the user level I hope.

Then they'd all concentrate on black level, processing and efficiency/brightness.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/15574665

But they're right...there really shouldn't be any grain (at least none that's not in the original source) if you're using cinema mode. This is the same as every other Panasonic.

E-A-G-L-E-S is right about color accuracy...Panasonic color is pretty offensive to me. There's just something about it that really bugs me while other sets which on paper are equally off look fine.

Every manufacturer produces a clunker from time to time. If you are talking about the 800 series then yes it's a decent product. But the 80 series was not Panny's best effort. The color issue is endemic throughout the Panny line, even pro calibrators here have said that.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15574737

Every manufacturer produces a clunker from time to time. If you are talking about the 800 series then yes it's a decent product. But the 80 series was not Panny's best effort. The color issue is endemic throughout the Panny line, even pro calibrators here have said that.

All Panasonics other than the 800u (and possibly the 850, not sure about that one) have ugly color. 800u should be fine in THX mode. This isn't just the '08 models, older ones were the same way.

The 80 series is fine and right in line with Panasonic's previous efforts. How is it worse than the the px75 (other than the lack of VGA)?

Also all Panasonics are grainy when they aren't in cinema/THX mode. Not just the 80.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/15574824

All Panasonics other than the 800u (and possibly the 850, not sure about that one) have ugly color. 800u should be fine in THX mode. This isn't just the '08 models, older ones were the same way.

The 80 series is fine and right in line with Panasonic's previous efforts. How is it worse than the the px75 (other than the lack of VGA)?

Also all Panasonics are grainy when they aren't in cinema/THX mode. Not just the 80.

You hear people making excuses about Panasonic plasmas all the time: "you can't have it in this mode", "it looks terrible in the store because of blah, blah, blah", " once a priest exorcises the plasma then it will look good", " Panny's look better during a solar eclipse".

How come you never hear all the excuses about Pioneers and Samsungs? The Pope doesn't need to bless them before they look good

1 - 20 of 35 Posts