AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Not sure what you are asking? Official release of what? Firmware of what? UHD means the resolution a tv is able to display. If your tv is 4K , it's UHD. Are you asking an update firmware for your tv? Or are you asking about HDMI 2.0 ?

Reactions: John4721

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry posted this in a hurry yes hdmi 2.0. at the moment some ultra hdtvs are able to get a firmware update via firmware from what i read from the net. Is this true. Should I just wait for hdmi 2.0 ultra tvs or is it safe to get them now?

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Just decide what 4K model you want to buy or which 4K models you consider. That is your startingpoint.. Not all 4K TVs are equal. Next is doing some internet research and visiting/starting/posting in 4K threads.

·
Registered
18,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx5  /t/1520069/so-hdmi-can-be-acheaved-via-firmware-update/0_20#post_24415279

sorry posted this in a hurry yes hdmi 2.0. at the moment some ultra hdtvs are able to get a firmware update via firmware from what i read from the net. Is this true. Should I just wait for hdmi 2.0 ultra tvs or is it safe to get them now?

Some 2014 tv's will have the HDMI 2.0 chipset or be able to be upgraded. However, until there are other HDMI 2.0 devices (blu-ray players, etc) you'll still be stuck at HDMI 1.4 hardware specs.

·
Registered
18,881 Posts
Cheap might be the operative word here. HDMI 2.0 hardware spec is backwards compatible with HDMI 1.4 hardware spec so you won't notice any difference. Buying a tv with 2.0 is sort of buying for the immediate future. Once devices are available that can deliver content using the 2.0 spec you'll be all set. My guess is that you still won't notice much of a difference initially even then. Whatever you get, I'd try to make sure that the chipset is upgradeable via new firmware because you don't want to be stuck with the initial 2.0 spec only to find out that 2.5 (as an example) or whatever is out and available and you can't upgrade via firmware.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts