AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that my audio passion has been growing like crazy lately. Three years ago I was that crazy kid who spent $250 on a 5.1 computer speaker system, I was the envy of all my friends. The next year I upgraded to a $400 5.1 computer speaker system (logitech Z5500's) and sold my previous set off. I never thought I would ever need to upgrade again, I was browsing CC one day though and came across a set of speakers that stole my heart, the infinity beta 50's. I had no way of affording a $1,000 pair of speakers so I snagged a pair for super cheap off of that one special auction site. That was when everyone knew I had really gone off the deep end, I never thought I would dream of upgrading from those beauties, such amazing sound quality and monstrous low distortion SPL's on tap at all frequencies, it was beautiful. Well as time went on I began to post more and more in the speaker forums, going out to audition every single set and type of speaker I could find, it did not take long though before I began to grow tired of the meaningless discussion over there. I look back at the amount of pissing contests and useless advice that takes place over there and I wonder to myself, "how long can these people sit there and fight over ID vs B&M speaker brands?!".

Finally, I could no longer resist the temptation of the DIY area, at last I found some fresh meat to sink my teeth into. I just sold my beta's off and am now working on some 10.5' tall line arrays and have several more projects slated to do. I couldn't be happier, I used to think that people that built their own speakers were dilusional and ignorent to think that they could adequately handle such an undertaking. I thought that when they bragged about how they sounded, they were just deceiving themselves into thinking their speakers were better than they actually were. After all, we can't just go out and buy high quality drivers or build high quality cabinets and crossovers. There is no way we can actually design a speaker that will sound as good a commercial one designed by professionals. Right?

Personally, I have always been a bit of DIY'er, since I was a small child, so I am highly biased, but I have no idea how people can possibly get so passionate about this hobby (most of you have seen how incredibly heated some of discussions on the speaker forum can get) without going out and building one's own speakers. I mean, whats there to do? What's there to talk about? You wind up with hundreds and thousands of pages of pure fluff because there is no real knowledge there, just opinions, have seen people with 5,000 posts (all of them in the audio area) that didn't know that a good crossover or bad crossover could affect the sound.

This isn't intended to be a ranting post, just got a little sidetracked. How did you guys wind up in this forum area? Did you start out over at HTGuide? Have you always been a DIY'er or was this a big step for you? Did you start the speaker building process because of the higher value or purely because you wanted to take your passion for audio to the next level?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Well I got into DIY after rediscovering some speakers by dad built in the early 70s. I actually grew up listening to vinyl on them but they had been in storage for a little while before I got them back out.

I thought to myself, "If he could build these in 1973, I wonder what I could build now!".

And so it began.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I've always had a love for good music and loud music, which isn't mutually inclusive. So at the ripe 'ol age of 14 when I saw the Accoustic Research AR1's in a Crutchfield catalog, I knew I had to have them because they'd be the best of both worlds. Only problem was, I didn't have a job. What I did have was a few hundred bucks and a basic loudspeaker book containing formulas to work out speaker enclosure volumes for ported and sealed designs. That's when the DIY bug hit me.

I would figure up sub enclosures for my friends cars with these long drawn out formulas to calculate volume, port diameter and length. It was a pain, but I learned a lot during my high school years.

Fast forward to when I'm 16y/o when I bought a pair of Cerwin Vega LS-12's! From there on out, it's been a rock party at my house, but I always had something missing. Huge amounts of bone jarring deep bass. So I bought a Klipsch SUB-12, then bought a JBL sub (I forget the model because it fell apart) and traded it in for an Infinity SW-12. None of those really cut it for massive amounts of deep bass for my LS12's, however they worked great to use on my computer with my Monitor Audio RS-1's.

After I bought a second pair of Cerwin Vega LS12's, my volume further increased, but my bass below 35hz was still lacking and that's how I ended up here because for every 1 full range speaker thread, there are 20 subwoofer threads.

·
Registered
375 Posts

Quote:
How did you guys wind up in this forum area?

Google

I guess I've always been a DIY'er. I built my first computer at the age of 13 (still chugging 6 years later!), and had always fiddled with electronics and built other various things. I finally convinced my parents to let me buy the parts I needed for some speakers (yes, I have to get permission to spend my OWN money! >_

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
How did I end up on AVS?...just typed audio...DIY audio...and found this interesting site.

Istarted to build,experiment with speakers and speaker boxes a long time ago,like 23 years ago. Then it all went south and again I regained interest with a nice thread dedicated to me here...

All in all DIY is a must for anyone looking to really own a no compromise sub.Or wants the max performance for the dollar.

DIY is not cheaper than commercial...you simply can get so much more performance it should be illegal.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
TheEAR, No compromise mains as well!

DIY started to get more interesting after I came to realization that nothing in my budget would satisfy my sound quality standards....

I started out with a pair of Technics 4-way towers, then bought a pair of infinity primus 150s, then 3 pairs of NHT SB-2's...then jumped straight into DIY with the Rythmik audio Ds12Tc kit (what a bargain).

With the Rythmik being such a great success I gave DIY mains a try (Natalie P's). Being completely knocked off my socks by what i was hearing I decided an entire DIY HT was the way to go...plus the kicker was I could actually afford to build my own speakers and have them sound way better than the speakers I originally couldn't afford

So here I am...DIY mains, DIY surrounds and 2 DIY subs on my belt...currently a DIY center in the works...Things couldn't be any better

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Google.

I was buying a first subwoofer about 5 years ago and stumbled upon SVS. Researching them brought me here. DIY became the next logical step...

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
This forum has kinda taken over where hometheaterforum.com was a few years back -- lots of sub threads, not much about fullrange speakers, crossovers, etc. I expect that to change. Once you design and build a sub, you're ready for the much harder challenge of designing and building a main speaker. With the measurement and crossover-sim software available for dirt cheap these days, there's no reason for smart people to not get their feet wet with fullrange speaker design.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
IIRC;

HTF was destined to die based on their moderation practices.

Madisound has been slowly bleeding for years, the new forum is the nail in the coffin.

Audio Asylum - there's a reason it's called an asylum.

Audio Round Table - pissed off Audio Asylum sponsors create a more friendly forum.

PE - On topic, off topic, anything goes, where's the next buyout driver?

Romy the Cat - nobody loves me so I made my own audio blog site.

AVS - 24/7 paintball with minimum rules.

HTG - Either you agree with me or be banned.

DIY audio mobile - driver testing and opinion, nice.

Audio Circles - vendor forums.

DIYA - Magical forum where you find truth and alot of fantasy, one must be skilled

to determine which is which

Audio Review Forum - "difference between a amplifier vs pre-amplifier".

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
HTG - Either you agree with me or be banned

Aw, c'mon. They're pretty friendly over there, really. Gotta be a real jerk to get banned.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackyflipside /forum/post/0

Lurked for a while in the dedicated theater part looking for inspiration on my own theater (friend referred me a link) Exocer and I got Rythmik kits at about the same time and thats when I dove into DIY.

You actually inspired me to go with the Rythmik kit originally. Thanks alot for that

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I was on my 3rd rebuild of a HT in our previous house. I had a set of Energy speakers that I thought were the cat's ass and I was more into the video portion of HT. I was on my 3rd CRT pj and ventured into a very high-end store to look at DLP projectors. When checking out the DLP, I happened to appreciate the speakers in their demo room more than the projector I was looking at. The owner of the store told me they were custom built by hand. The center channel speaker alone was something like $1500, which we all know is really not that expensive for audio. But, he said they were built by hand in a small shop and that got me thinking or wondering if I could build my own speakers. I did some searches and stumbled across HT Talk which is where I hung out for a while. I eventually found diy audio.com and AVS. I found the old Tweaks and diy forum and some guys were just starting to discuss and build the Audax HT speakers. Somehow, I got hooked on that and then...I don't know what happened next. I think I was abducted by aliens who had a freakin gigantic subwoofer in their ship or something. All I know is my Energy speakers and subwoofer were puny and not worthy of my greatness. Next thing I know, I was building a cylinder sub and 7 Audax HT speakers. That was 2002 and 25 individual speakers ago. I'm now starting to build a set of Dayton RS TMWW sealed towers for my basement 2-channel lair. I'm happy to say that I still use my original Audax speakers and two 15" cylinder subs in the HT. I also have a set of MBOW1s, a set of Buschhorns, a set of Dayton 2-ways and a sealed 15" subwoofer. All the others were built for friends. I will say that for diy speaker building, I get a lot of info from diyaudio, HTGuide, audioasylum and the PE forum. I just always come back to AVS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i like to build stuff.

almost done with a degree in ME, so i have a lot of free time and knowledge, but no money...so it's also out of necessity...

built computers, two 1977 Ford Broncos from tires to hardtop and wired them from head light to tail light, got into wood working recently (in college) have build a couple bars (one wet) for friends, and anything else I can....

I guess the next step was to mesh my current two things: wood work and electronics = speakers

now if only i could build a 1080p projector and buy a house I could build a theater

·
Registered
127 Posts
I probably don't belong here at all since I'm too opinionated, and too fired up about line array designs, particularly my own, as well as tri amping, electronic crossovers, and tube cabinets.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro /forum/post/0

I probably don't belong here at all since I'm too opinionated, and too fired up about line array designs, particularly my own, as well as tri amping, electronic crossovers, and tube cabinets.

Penalized for being an individual

We are the Borg, resistance is futile.
http://lorry.org/baa/Wool-pics/borg-queen-light.jpg

The borg is a collective working as one, just like your line array.

You next project -> The Borgarray

heeheeharrrrrrrrrrr

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.