AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a bit of a blur...a really, really cool blur.

I have a good buddy that wanted a hobby...so I suggested Home Theater. I have recently upgraded my Paradigm Monitor 7's to Monitor 11's, and now Studio 60's. So I had a lot of speakers around. So, I started selling him some gear, including the 7's, my center channel, and a Marantz SR1501 I had around.

Long story short....I've sold a lot of gear lately, and had about 1k in the "audio upgrade kitty". He bought my SR8001 receiver from me today, so I went receiver shopping.

I had planned on last year's flagship, the Marantz SR7008. So, I did tons of research (You know the drill...forums, research, reviews) around that unit, and wanted to hear the 7008 in a store, so I popped down to Best Buy/Magnolia to see if they had one left over. They had two...and crazily, their pricing was BETTER than anything I could find online. $899 brand new, with a 3 year warranty. A4L has the same price for a refurb.

Guy comes back with the box, and says "by the way...there is an open box SR7009 back there." Their open box pricing is typically $1799. (Retails for $2k) He says "I'll sell it to you right now for $1299". $700 off retail.

I say "Sorry...I've got a hard $1000 budget", and he says "Let me go talk to my manager".

Comes back 5 minutes later (While I waited, I auditioned every Sub they had, and the REL Serie T9 is so ridiculously better than anything I heard in that room...wow.) and says "$1099".

Now...I know better than to pass up a deal like that. I'd regret it for the next two years.

So...by accident, I bought a Marantz SR7009, with full 3 year warranty, for $900 off retail.

Time to break this sucker in.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Today was a bit of a blur...a really, really cool blur.

I have a good buddy that wanted a hobby...so I suggested Home Theater. I have recently upgraded my Paradigm Monitor 7's to Monitor 11's, and now Studio 60's. So I had a lot of speakers around. So, I started selling him some gear, including the 7's, my center channel, and a Marantz SR1501 I had around.

Long story short....I've sold a lot of gear lately, and had about 1k in the "audio upgrade kitty". He bought my SR8001 receiver from me today, so I went receiver shopping.

I had planned on last year's flagship, the Marantz SR7008. So, I did tons of research (You know the drill...forums, research, reviews) around that unit, and wanted to hear the 7008 in a store, so I popped down to Best Buy/Magnolia to see if they had one left over. They had two...and crazily, their pricing was BETTER than anything I could find online. $899 brand new, with a 3 year warranty. A4L has the same price for a refurb.

Guy comes back with the box, and says "by the way...there is an open box SR7009 back there." Their open box pricing is typically $1799. (Retails for $2k) He says "I'll sell it to you right now for $1299". $700 off retail.

I say "Sorry...I've got a hard $1000 budget", and he says "Let me go talk to my manager".

Comes back 5 minutes later (While I waited, I auditioned every Sub they had, and the REL Serie T9 is so ridiculously better than anything I heard in that room...wow.) and says "$1099".

Now...I know better than to pass up a deal like that. I'd regret it for the next two years.

So...by accident, I bought a Marantz SR7009, with full 3 year warranty, for $900 off retail.

Time to break this sucker in.
Good "accident" for a change.. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts