AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this TV about a month ago on amazon. I just opened it yesterday to set it up in my new room. After having it set up, I went to open up a bag with an HDMI cable in it, and the bag tore open and the cable flew out and hit the screen. It left a dent in the screen and completely damaged a group of about 10 pixels right in the middle of the screen.

In 6 years of having a large HDTV I've never even come close to damaging one, and yet this new one I somehow damage right out of the box...

I did NOT buy an extended warranty from Amazon.com and know nothing about warranties or anything like that. Is there any hope of getting this thing replaced? I'm pretty much devastated.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
I agree with omeletpants. Even if you were within the 30-day window, the damage (no matter how accidental) was your fault and the warranty will not cover it. Sorry for your damage and your expensive lesson, but ultimately you are the one responsible.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you decide not to go the dishonest route, I would suggest you contact Amazon and tell them what happened and see what they say--can't hurt.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqDan /forum/post/19575735

"It was like that when I opened the box."

Not that I am suggesting you try that route, of course...

Very very un-cool !!!!!!!!!!

The OP broke his own TV so he needs to own the problem.

To blame it on Amazon or the shipping guys would be wrong in every way.

Karma does come back on people that do sh%$y things like that.

If the OP has renters or home owners insurance then that would be great, but other than that there is nothing that can be done or should be done.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
12,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/19575740

I was wondering when someone would suggest the dishonest route. Didn't have to wait long

I'd rather be dishonest than broke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After repackaging the cord many times and reopening it, I'm very pissed off at amazon.com for packing it in the material that they did. It's a thin plastic that is very hard to tear into, but also not ductile at all, so when it finally starts to tear, the crack propagates extremely quickly and out of control. The packaging they used makes it VERY easy for the item inside to fly out when you open it. Not only that, but the packaging has perforated lines for you to tear on, when clearly the better option would be to use scissors.

Therefore, in my opinion it's just as much their fault as it is mine. I just measured and I was a full 6 feet away from the television when I opened the cord. ****ing pathetic. Had they packaged it in ANY other material and not put deceiving perforated lines on the packaging, this would not have happened.

So pissed off right now.

·
Registered
12,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOidwaker /forum/post/19577064

After repackaging the cord many times and reopening it, I'm very pissed off at amazon.com for packing it in the material that they did. It's a thin plastic that is very hard to tear into, but also not ductile at all, so when it finally starts to tear, the crack propagates extremely quickly and out of control. The packaging they used makes it VERY easy for the item inside to fly out when you open it. Not only that, but the packaging has perforated lines for you to tear on, when clearly the better option would be to use scissors.

Therefore, in my opinion it's just as much their fault as it is mine. I just measured and I was a full 6 feet away from the television when I opened the cord. ****ing pathetic. Had they packaged it in ANY other material and not put deceiving perforated lines on the packaging, this would not have happened.

So pissed off right now.

Unless you want to risk having to pay for the damages yourself, I would seriously consider saying it came that way when you opened the box. If you show even a hint that it was your fault, they will give you nothing. Just try to get a replacement or refund before it's too late. It doesn't hurt to try, despite some of the remarks made earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/19577109

Unless you want to risk having to pay for the damages yourself, I would seriously consider saying it came that way when you opened the box. If you show even a hint that it was your fault, they will give you nothing. Just try to get a replacement or refund before it's too late. It doesn't hurt to try, despite some of the remarks made earlier in the thread.

But that would be lying and unethical. I think the Mods should close this thread down.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOidwaker /forum/post/19577064

So pissed off right now.

Pathetic justification for your incompetence

·
Registered
570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/19577184

Pathetic justification for your incompetence

I kind of felt sorry for the OP until his rant--a bit of a stretch to blame the bag the cable came in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.