AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought that 1.85:1 was a perfect fit for 16:9 televisions. How much picture is lost and how come there are no black bars that are shown? Is it better to watch these movies on a 4:3 television?

·
Registered
83 Posts
What are you talking about? 16x9 tvs are 1.78:1, so with standard DVDs you get a 4:3 image with grey bars on left and right and then black bars on top and bottom just like a normal 4:3 tv, if the DVD is anamorphic then it is stretched full screen with little black bars on top and bottom.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not getting black bars on the top and bottom when I watch Requiem For A Dream. Unbreakable has it but thats because it is 2.35:1. My player is set to 16:9.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe your TV or player overscans too much, use zoom if you have to zoom out, I zoome out 5 or 6 times with my malata to see the whole picture to the right and left.

·
Registered
13,761 Posts
Overscan. You should not worry about it. Most 1.85:1 films are actually transferred at 1.78:1, with the mats opened up a bit for extra head and foot room. You are not missing anything.

True 1.85:1 transfers have tiny black bars and they will be covered by overscan. We are talking about 3 to 5% of the image. Relax and enjoy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.