AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am very poor but wanted to listen to my vinyl so here is what I bought and it sounds decent considering I have $160 into it

Technica LP-60 Turntable

Lepai 2020+ amp

Micca MB 42 speaker

I want a a sub but only have about $50 left so really cannot do it right now.

I do have a 2 month old Rockford Fosgate sub (12") sitting in my dorm room just taking up space. Can I incorporate that into my system with the $50 I have left?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1519930/so-i-am-poor-but-how-can-i-get-a-little-hump-into-my-modest-sound-system#post_24410593

A decent, if modest, sub is the Polk PSW10. It can often be had on sale for under $100. You should be able to find a gently-used one for ~$50.

Thanks!

I did read a review on this but have no access to "test" one out. I am not looking to flex the windows, it just seems like the Micca MB42 set has zero bass at all and with my older records (Led,Beatles,Kinks....) I need a bit of low end.

So you think the PSW10 will gimme what I need?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Adding a subwoofer to your current setup would require a stereo crossover with a subwoofer output. One example would be the Rolls SX45, although that's a little over your price point. This assumes that your "Rockford Fosgate sub" is a home theater subwoofer in an enclosure with a built-in amp. If it's not then getting a crossover won't help.

That said, if you only have $50 of disposable income it might be wiser to put it into savings for a rainy day rather than blowing it on an audio upgrade...

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightwingjedi  /t/1519930/so-i-am-poor-but-how-can-i-get-a-little-hump-into-my-modest-sound-system#post_24410554

So I am very poor but wanted to listen to my vinyl so here is what I bought and it sounds decent considering I have $160 into it

Technica LP-60 Turntable

Lepai 2020+ amp

Micca MB 42 speaker

I want a a sub but only have about $50 left so really cannot do it right now.

I do have a 2 month old Rockford Fosgate sub (12") sitting in my dorm room just taking up space. Can I incorporate that into my system with the $50 I have left?

Thanks in advance!!!

Rockford Fosgate usually means car audio, and car audio usually means 12 volt power. The economic problem with car audio in a home environment is finding something that converts 120 volts from the house into 12 volts DC. This used to be more of a problem than it is now. I'm having good luck with using 12 volt appliances in the house by attaching them to one of these that cost me about $20:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12V-3A-5A-10A-15A-20A-30A-Switching-Power-Supply-Driver-for-LED-Strip-/330882298847

This item titles it as a power supply for LEDs but it is in fact very generic. The 20 amp model is probably overkill, but it will get the job done. If you have any problems tripping it out with heavy bass add one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrolytic-Capacitors-10000uF-25V-New-Radial-/141168488695

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas

What about just grabbing a Polk PSW10 self powered sub

Not the best but I can get one used for only 4 weeks for $65 off a guy I know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1519930/so-i-am-poor-but-how-can-i-get-a-little-hump-into-my-modest-sound-system#post_24411142

$65 seems reasonable, IMO.

Thanks again guys

So I talked my dad into ordering me a new PSW10 for $79. I sometime do not trust used speakers

So now that it is coming in 3-4 days, what will I need to hook this up using mt Technica LP60 turntable? The line out is already going to the Lepai 2020 amp and that is run out to the Micca speakers.

I know the Polk PSW10 is self powered but I assume that it will need to be hooked up to something

Thanks and sorry I sound like a noob goof

·
Premium Member
11,423 Posts
1. L+R speaker-level outputs from amp to sub's L+R speaker+level inputs.

2. L+R speaker-level outputs from sub to L and R speakers.

3. Use the "crossover" control (actually a low-pass filter (or LPF)) on the sub to blend the sub with the speakers.

See also the owner's manual for the sub, which is available on the PSW10 product page.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1519930/so-i-am-poor-but-how-can-i-get-a-little-hump-into-my-modest-sound-system#post_24412115

1. L+R speaker-level outputs from amp to sub's L+R speaker+level inputs.

2. L+R speaker-level outputs from sub to L and R speakers.

3. Use the "crossover" control (actually a low-pass filter (or LPF)) on the sub to blend the sub with the speakers.

See also the owner's manual for the sub, which is available on the PSW10 product page.

Sweeeet, thanks!

So I do not need to buy anything else.

Thanks again all, hope this PSW adds just enough to bring the Pogues to life!

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,269 Posts

Congrats on your new sub purchase.  Let us know if it improves your sound and meets your expectations!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1519930/so-i-am-poor-but-how-can-i-get-a-little-hump-into-my-modest-sound-system#post_24412813

Congrats on your new sub purchase.  Let us know if it improves your sound and meets your expectations!

Sure will, it's coming today.

I am still worried about hooking it up since I do not have RCA out of my Technica LP60 but we'll see

·
Premium Member
11,423 Posts

Quote:
I am still worried about hooking it up since I do not have RCA out of my Technica LP60 but we'll see
Why are you worried? In post #9, I responded to your question about how you should hook the sub up to your system. There's nothing complicated about it.

If you haven't done so already, have a look at HOOKUP OPTION #2 on page 10 of the owner's manual (PDF).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, after robbing a bank to get the 35 feet of speaker wire I needed, I finally have this baby hooked up and all I can say is WOW!!!

Just amazing the hump this think adds for the low price. Tried it facing a corner, facing a wall, along a wall then the sweet spot. facing out, against the wall and under a table, boom!! Really, I have had subs in cars that bump and this little 10" is just perfect for the price.

Thanks guys!!! I have Nirvana unplugged rolling right now and it is shaking the walls!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightwingjedi  /t/1519930/so-i-am-poor-but-how-can-i-get-a-little-hump-into-my-modest-sound-system#post_24420473

Sure will, it's coming today.

The Technica has a "Switchable pre-amp,Connectors: RCA Phono and RCA Line (preamplifier)' You want to set that to 'RCA Line'

1 - 16 of 16 Posts