AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really appreciate everyone's advice but there is just too much controversy on whether or not the non fiber optic DVI-D cable would be strong enough to go 25-30'.

I talked to MANY MANY people, some dealers, some manufacturers and some AVSers and I just wasn't willing to go ahead and risk the less expensive cable since I will be closing my ceiling for good in the next month.

I don't want to resort to throwing the cable away and buying a much longer length to fish through all my ceiling conduits that I ran to the projector.

Buy the way I got a 33' Fiber Optic Cable for $350US. Very very good deal compared to some that were $400-$600 for that kind of length.

If something better comes out down the road (which it always does) I know with this cable I will be able to reverse engineer to accomidate any input.

Now... just have to wait for the SAMSUNG DVD-931 to be released and I'll be enjoying 720p on my NEC HT1000!!!

Bye the way, I bought it from http://www.dtronicsinc.com/index.html and although he is a wholesaler he sold to me through my PAYPAL account and shipped it the same day.

Thanks

Bruno

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looks like an interesting cable technology - looks like the fiber/copper transceivers are built into the DVI-D plug housings.

Given everything I've read, I would definately have gone the fiber route for DVI.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought a 9 meter (29.5') copper dual-link DVI-D cable from Better Cables and it works great. But then again, I have attic space above my HT so if it didn't work I could have easily swapped it out. :)

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruno A4
I talked to MANY MANY people, some dealers, some manufacturers and some AVSers and I just wasn't willing to go ahead and risk the less expensive cable since I will be closing my ceiling for good in the next month.
Regardless of your cable decision, I recommend ALWAYS running empty conduit from your equipment to your projector location. Flexible plastic conduit can be used and is easy for a non-electrician to run. Available from many different manufacturers and can be obtained or ordered through most electrical or wire distributors. Available in up to 2" diameters and beyond.

http://www.carlon.com/SC/SC_Orange5.html

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Also, Home Depot stores tend to have conduit in stock all the time that is construction grade but easily handled by a DIYer.

Mark

·
Registered
855 Posts
Did you get the "fiber only" version? These statements from the supplied link:

Quote:
Optional Fiber only system without DDC function.

(pseudo DDC signal can be transmitted for EDID information.)
mean the fiber only won't do HDCP and the other is doubtful. I don't know if HDCP is important to you or not but I thought I'd point this out.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
I have a 66 ft. fiber optic DVI-D cable, made by Ophit. It has a combination of fiber optic and copper conductors. The copper conductors carry the bi-directional DDC data necessary for HDCP to work. The cable works fine in my setup between a Sony HD-200 and Marantz S2. I've tested it on the DirecTV HDCP test channel they ran for a while.

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
There is more than one type of fiber optic cable. Some only have transmitters on one end and will not go as far. The ones with hardwired connectors and transmitters on one end and receivers on the other end will support the highest bandwidth at longer distances and likely support DDC. I'm guess the one that Bruno A4 purchased is the variety that has a transmitter on one end but not a receiver on the other. The ones with both transmitters and receivers are near 900.00.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.