AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two NEC gp3000 (imager 410) with broken power supplies, but now I have repaired one of them with parts from the other one. So now I have one working unit and one that is really broken ! I would be able to fix the other one as well if I just could find a way to get a replacement for the broken part. It's a hybrid IC (in the switch mode power supply) marked PJX-01. Does anyone know where (if possible) I could find a replacement for this broken IC ?

/Peter

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
It's non-existent. This is a widely known issue with the GP powersupply. However, congratulations on fixing ONE of them.

Marc

·
Registered
496 Posts
Peter-

In switch mode supplies, sometimes the manufacturer will use a custom programmed IC to do the work. As such, depending on what this IC is, it might not be available except through NEC. Perhaps GE can supply it if you tell them you have the GE version.

I could find no mention of PJX-01 in any of our reference material at work. Are there any other numbers or symbols on the IC?? If there are some other numbers I will be happy to check them out...

(Good luck with NEC...You can reach them at 1-800-338-9549)

--Kieth

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Don't bother checking. We've all done the work for you and it is NOT AVAILABLE!

If anyone finds any, buy 1000 of them. Doug Baisey and I will buy the other 999..;-)

This chip was custom made for the company that custom made the power supply for NEC. NEC never sold parts for the power supplies, in fact you will not even be able to cross most of the 'standard' Japanese transistor numbers in this supply.

Everything was custom made in this supply, and NEC only sold them as complete units, and discontinued them at least 5 years ago.

A waste? Absolutely! I've scrapped many a good GP 3000 due to a shot [power supply, and won't even resell a working set at this point as I know the set's supply will die at some point in time.

Sorru!

Curt

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Yup, that power supply is made by RUBYCON. The chip was proprietary to that design.

Make sure you replace the associated electrolytics in that same circuit (around that chip), or the replacement chip could overheat and fail.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tanks for the input on this subject and, yes I have replaced the caps involved as a precaution. Is it always the chip on the A board that fails ?In both my projectors the chip on the B board was alright. A electronics supplier here in Sweden told me that this PJX-01 chip may also have been used in the power supply for a British made satellite receiver, and he promised me to check if the chip was available as a spare for this receiver. He said " can't you have the PJX-04 instead ? I have 240 in stock of that one..! (close, very close).

To be continued...

/Peter

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
"Is it always the chip on the A board that fails ?"

Yes, maybe because it is the supply for the standby (always on). The power supplies that I've worked on with that chip bad also had a leaking electrolytic.

Good luck on finding it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.