AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And i am a little confused about what audio decoding and bitstreaming is..

I have an onkyo 605 and the bd-p1000, so am i getting lossless audio, dts-ma, and dd true hd? If not should i upgrade to the sony ps3?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Man - you should have done some reading on the Sammy 1000 forum first - you would have gone another route. I hope you didn't pay much for it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The only lossless audio you will get is from BDs which have PCM soundtrack. There is no way for you to get lossless audio from DD TrueHD or DTS HD-MA with this player.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would get your money back if you can. This player has had numerous problems with the newer titles coming out, and it doesn't seem to be getting in better. The only trustable players that I know of right now are:

- Panasonic BD30

- PS3 (My personal favorite...biggest bang for the buck)

- Samsung 1500 (I've read decent reviews on this model)

I'm sure there are others, but you basically want one that BD Live or 2.0 compliant.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm gonna disagree with returning the player. Make sure you upgrade the firmware and newer titles should work fine. The best you'll be able to get on discs without PCM is DD5.1 which is not all that bad IMO.

For two hundred bucks, depnding on what 200 bucks means to you, this can make a decent stopgap player. Sometime this fall, Sony will complete their roll out of thier new standalone models with the BDP 550 to be the top end. It does bitstreaming, internal decoding of all codecs, 7.1 surround, is 2.0 compliant, and more for $500.00. This player seems to have it all at an affordable price.

I bought a Philips BDP9000 two years ago which is really just a rebadged sammy 1000 knowing it would be replaced in due time. IMO, we're close, but it is not due time to pull the trigger on your purchase of a high end, never to replace BD player. Plus, by christmas there will be even more options on players. But again, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
454 Posts
For merely another 100 bucks, you could've picked up the PS3 a couple of weeks ago. 100% problem free, play every movie guaranteed, decode all audio format. And I forgot to mention, it also plays games
Not that I ever tried.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanj /forum/post/14179561

For merely another 100 bucks, you could've picked up the PS3 a couple of weeks ago. 100% problem free, play every movie guaranteed, decode all audio format. And I forgot to mention, it also plays games
Not that I ever tried.

Not trying to beat up on the PS3 (easiest way to get flamed around here
) but from sites like Amazon it's currenty listed at $399. If you can get one for $299, that's pretty good. But, one thing to keep in mind is that if you are using a Universal IR remote, you'll need to either keep the Sony remote around or jury rig the PS3 to support IR (I think it can easily be done for $40). That's because the native format for the PS3 remote is Bluetooth.

Which, BTW, if that is the only format for the BDP550 will cause me to look elsewhere. I love it when friends come over, see all my equipment, and I can then point out to them that I control the entire mess with a single remote.

And, if I were to purchase a PS3, it would most likely be my last BD player purchase for a long time. I'm just gonna wait it out a while longer before investing in an end all/ be all BD player as there's good stuff on the horizon.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I, too, had the Philips BDP9000...and even with the latest firmware I still constantly had hit and miss problems with it, especially with the newer titles. Now it could have been my particular player; I'll give you that, but the load times were unbearable on the java titles.

So I eventually sold it when the walmart $100 gift card promo surfaced and got a ps3, which happily takes every blu-ray I throw at it. I also bought the ps3 blu-ray remote from Amazon, which is much easier to use than a game controller.

Anyway, I hope you don't have the same troubles that I had with my 1st gen player.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar /forum/post/14179896

Not trying to beat up on the PS3 (easiest way to get flamed around here
) but from sites like Amazon it's currenty listed at $399. If you can get one for $299, that's pretty good. But, one thing to keep in mind is that if you are using a Universal IR remote, you'll need to either keep the Sony remote around or jury rig the PS3 to support IR (I think it can easily be done for $40). That's because the native format for the PS3 remote is Bluetooth.

Which, BTW, if that is the only format for the BDP550 will cause me to look elsewhere. I love it when friends come over, see all my equipment, and I can then point out to them that I control the entire mess with a single remote.

And, if I were to purchase a PS3, it would most likely be my last BD player purchase for a long time. I'm just gonna wait it out a while longer before investing in an end all/ be all BD player as there's good stuff on the horizon.

As far as I'm concerned, the PS3 is the end all and be all of BD players. Guaranteed to never be obsolete, quickest to operate by far, most stable, stellar picture quality, decodes all audio formats. If you can live with a separate remote, I don't know what else you're looking for.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanj /forum/post/14180774

As far as I'm concerned, the PS3 is the end all and be all of BD players. Guaranteed to never be obsolete, quickest to operate by far, most stable, stellar picture quality, decodes all audio formats. If you can live with a separate remote, I don't know what else you're looking for.

I disagree...I bought a PS3 and returned it for being too loud and no ir remote...IMO The Panny seems to rule as a stand a lone player...

·
Registered
934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 /forum/post/14180575

I, too, had the Philips BDP9000...and even with the latest firmware I still constantly had hit and miss problems with it, especially with the newer titles. Now it could have been my particular player; I'll give you that, but the load times were unbearable on the java titles.

So I eventually sold it when the walmart $100 gift card promo surfaced and got a ps3, which happily takes every blu-ray I throw at it. I also bought the ps3 blu-ray remote from Amazon, which is much easier to use than a game controller.

Anyway, I hope you don't have the same troubles that I had with my 1st gen player.

Wasn't just your player - mine is a complete piece of junk. I have the latest Sammy 1.6 firmware, and I have several discs that you have to try 5 or 6 times to get them to load (like some of the Lionsgate titles) - and it won't play Cloverfield at all. Like I said earlier, read the Sammy 1000 forum - we're not the only ones.

·
Registered
11,750 Posts
@OP, Samsung players are hit or miss. I owned a BD-P1000 initially and it was sometimes flaky. Occasionally you would have to insert a movie 3-5 times before it loaded, and it would also stutter every once in awhile. The PQ was solid, but the AQ is lacking as it cannot decode DTS-HD-MA or TrueHD and does not have HDMI 1.3 so it cannot pass to your receiver for decoding. And it is very slow with handling BD-J discs such as POTC 1-3, Ratatouille, etc. I sold my Samsung for a PS3 last July and have been much happier. If you can return the Samsung, I would do that. The $298 Magnavox player at Wal-mart would be a better player IMHO, but the PS3 is definitely the best band for the buck at $399.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanj /forum/post/14180774

Analog outputs?

Interesting past couple of posts though. The BDP9000 latest release is 082802 which I think is one rev level behind tthe sammy 1.6 release. I know we're now completely off topic, but the Cloverfield mention was usefull to me. I just ordered it (completely forgot about it) and will try it on my BDP9000. Hope this thread doesn't get closed for being OT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.