AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And it was much bigger than expected... 29 gbs to be exact. I made an .iso of the file using AnyDvd HD.


I'm just wondering what everyone does for storing their collection on the hard drive. I'm pretty noobish when it comes to this stuff. Should I just be ripping standard def movies? Or is there a different file format that's not just a direct image of the disc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,692 Posts
If you use makemkv you can get just the main movie without all the extra junk. Some will still be that size and some will be much less. (this can also be done as an iso I believe but I don't mess with iso's.)


You can also rip and then compress the movie with handbrake but this is pretty time consuming. The encoding process can take 6-24 hours depending on your cpu.


With hard drive prices so cheap many people here just rip the main movie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts
Yep. They are big.


I rip just the main movie to MKV and leave behind as much crap as I can. And I don't shrink because frankly it takes way too long and hard drives are cheap ($60 and dropping for 2TB).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp8811 /forum/post/20796498


And it was much bigger than expected... 29 gbs to be exact. I made an .iso of the file using AnyDvd HD.


I'm just wondering what everyone does for storing their collection on the hard drive. I'm pretty noobish when it comes to this stuff. Should I just be ripping standard def movies? Or is there a different file format that's not just a direct image of the disc?

I have room for 150 blu-rays or 750 DVDs on my HTPC. I will probably need some more space in a year or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp8811 /forum/post/20796498


And it was much bigger than expected... 29 gbs to be exact. I made an .iso of the file using AnyDvd HD.


I'm just wondering what everyone does for storing their collection on the hard drive. I'm pretty noobish when it comes to this stuff. Should I just be ripping standard def movies? Or is there a different file format that's not just a direct image of the disc?

As mentioned, you can rip just the main movie and skip the extras. I don't know why some like MKV (maybe they can explain their preference - unless it is beacuse they want to retain chapters). The native format of Blu-ray is m2ts. You can use the free program Clown_BD (from the makers of AnyDVD, found at the Slysoft fourm under High Definition Software thread).

With Clown_BD you select the main movie track and audio formats (i.e. DTS-HD, 7.1 channel, etc.) then choose m2ts as your output. M2ts plays natively in 7MC. With MKV you have to do some registry hacks or install something like Shark007 to play the files. For me, I don't need chapters or menus. I start playing the movie and watch it all the way through (if I do stop in the middle for some reason, when I restart JRiver Media Center will ask me if I want to start from where I left off or start from beginning).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,085 Posts
I'm not sure why you expected it to be smaller. Blu-Ray discs can hold up to 50 GB of data, although most movies average about 25 GB. Clown_BD can remove the extraneous crap and just leave the main movie with HD audio soundtracks intact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/0



As mentioned, you can rip just the main movie and skip the extras. I don't know why some like MKV (maybe they can explain their preference - unless it is beacuse they want to retain chapters). The native format of Blu-ray is m2ts. You can use the free program Clown_BD (from the makers of AnyDVD, found at the Slysoft fourm under High Definition Software thread).

With Clown_BD you select the main movie track and audio formats (i.e. DTS-HD, 7.1 channel, etc.) then choose m2ts as your output. M2ts plays natively in 7MC. With MKV you have to do some registry hacks or install something like Shark007 to play the files. For me, I don't need chapters or menus. I start playing the movie and watch it all the way through (if I do stop in the middle for some reason, when I restart JRiver Media Center will ask me if I want to start from where I left off or start from beginning).

Is it safe to get the clownbd from their website... looked kind of shady
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/20797182


I don't know why some like MKV (maybe they can explain their preference - unless it is beacuse they want to retain chapters).

In my experience a MKV is about 1GB smaller than a m2ts file. And you get the chapter support. Both are easy to use so that's a wash.


When you have hundreds of movies that 1GB becomes significant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/20797203


I'm not sure why you expected it to be smaller.

IMO it's because a lot of folks get confused with "rip" vs "convert/re-encode". They thinking there's more going on with the "rip" than just a straight copy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,824 Posts

Quote:
Is it safe to get the clownbd from their website... looked kind of shady

Not in the least bit shady - just a labor of love that a developer put up for others to use for free. Basically "just" a front-end/gui for some other tools that folks use to do the same thing. Clown simply ties everything together and makes everything much simpler to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt /forum/post/0



Not in the least bit shady - just a labor of love that a developer put up for others to use for free. Basically "just" a front-end/gui for some other tools that folks use to do the same thing. Clown simply ties everything together and makes everything much simpler to use.

Awesome. I'll be trying it out real soon once my build is completed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
The problem I found with using Clown_BD for ripping just the main movie is that it was taking at least an hour to rip vs. 20 minutes for MakeMKV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanInc /forum/post/20798800


The problem I found with using Clown_BD for ripping just the main movie is that it was taking at least an hour to rip vs. 20 minutes for MakeMKV.

It depends on your system of course. I have an i5-2500K on Z68 motherboard. Mid-performer I would say. It takes me 45 minutes to an hour to rip a movie. Usually, I'm websurfing or doing something else during the rip so I really don't notice the time.


I can rip a DVD (movie only) with CloneDVD in about 5 to 7 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/20797974


In my experience a MKV is about 1GB smaller than a m2ts file. And you get the chapter support. Both are easy to use so that's a wash.


When you have hundreds of movies that 1GB becomes significant.

Good points my friend. 1GB here and there, start to add up to some real drive space after a while.

I wonder why MKV is smaller. Clown_BD is doing a bit-to-bit copy and just adding in the selected audio tracks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/20798843


It depends on your system of course. I have an i5-2500K on Z68 motherboard. Mid-performer I would say. It takes me 45 minutes to an hour to rip a movie. Usually, I'm websurfing or doing something else during the rip so I really don't notice the time.


I can rip a DVD (movie only) with CloneDVD in about 5 to 7 minutes.

Your cpu doesn't really matter all that much when it comes to ripping. Its the read speed of your blu ray drive and the write speed of your hard drive.


Normally though the BD drive is the bottleneck. And I wouldn't call the 2500k a "mid performer". Its one of the best cpu's on the market. Especially when you crank it up to 4.5+ ghz
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top