AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after much searching, i have come to the conclusion that hd-dvd is the way to go(over bluray???)

I'm getting my sammy 7178 in next week, and need a dvd player that will have me set for at least 3 years

just gotta have that 1080p out, great black detail, decent upscaling, and an overall good dvd player

and the catch:..... for around 500-600 bux

what do you guys recommend?

system setup as of now (ordered at least)

sammy 7178

7.1 speakers

7.1 processor/pre-amp

(3) 2-channel amps

(1) 1-channel amp

and the finale:

Elemental Designs A7-700 Elemental Designs eDA7-700 (still can't figure out where to put this bad boy)

-jl

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Toshiba HD-XA2

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Toshiba HD-XA2 -- $577 (Deal # 2b) here: http://www.*********************/avstc.htm

You get a free HDMI cable, double boxed, and even get the 5 free HD DVD movies from Toshiba (mail-in). There is also the Toshiba HD-A20 (Deal # 4) for $399. Both of these players are full 1080p, but you get analog audio out and an internal scaler on the XA2.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcool007 /forum/post/0

i hate buying crap that will go obsolete due to a competitor (ld and dvd for instance)

Wow! Someone forgot to tell all the retailers that DVD is obsolete? If you are that concerned don't buy anything, just go to movies all the time...chances are they won't be obsolete anytime soon.

Obsolete just means that no more movies / music, etc are being made in that format. I'm sure that many people here have a LD player that they use often...obsolete doesn't mean it will stop working.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok lemme put in that both are hi-def, but one will inevitably fade out due to one having more qwerks,

don't tell me that "blabla" wil be obsolete, (in the long run, no crap) but in the short term....which technology do you think will succeed? blu-ray or hd...as in which one will have the most movie titles on it?

that what i think i was trying to ask... which tech. will receive the most movie titles in the years to come? ( as did dvd succeed over ld, get it?)

·
Registered
16,269 Posts
jlcool, nobody can predict which format will win, or rather whether there will be no winner (I believe the latter, that both will survive for many years).

·
Banned
1,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcool007 /forum/post/0

after much searching, i have come to the conclusion that hd-dvd is the way to go(over bluray???)

I'm getting my sammy 7178 in next week, and need a dvd player that will have me set for at least 3 years

just gotta have that 1080p out, great black detail, decent upscaling, and an overall good dvd player

and the catch:..... for around 500-600 bux

what do you guys recommend?

system setup as of now (ordered at least)

sammy 7178

7.1 speakers

7.1 processor/pre-amp

(3) 2-channel amps

(1) 1-channel amp

and the finale:

Elemental Designs A7-700 Elemental Designs eDA7-700 (still can't figure out where to put this bad boy)

-jl

I'd say the A20 if you're trying to save money but the XA2 is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
who won the DVD+R / DVD-R war...same outcome here...just my prediction of course and I could be totally wrong, so please make that assumption before buying anything based on my prediction.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.