AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide me with some opinions of the performance of a white matte finish wall as a screen? As in, with one of the sub 2K projectors, totally dark, just projected on the wall- will it give a good picture? This is an apartment, I just got a unit with- no joke- 25 foot ceilings throughout in Villa Siena in Irvine, CA. It just begs for a projector setup beaming across the living room- problem is, I don't want to get a screen. Any thoughts on the plain wall as a screen? Thanks!

P.S.- my first projector expirience was with my boss' old sharp that put out about 300 lumens and had a blue halo through the middle of the screen. My friends said I was the king of "ghetto rigging" when I invited them over to play play station 2 on my wall. It looked terrible, but the bulb was almost out and it was 7 years old. I like good picture quality, but I don't tend to pick things apart :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
You should be fine. I am using a Panny L300U projected onto a 100" diag light gray painted wall. I didn't use anything fancy... just some grey flat paint mixed in with a flat white, and a little semi gloss white.

The only think I feel might be suffering a little is in completely dark scenes the image gets a little washed out. Not sure if a real screen would help or not.

The only warning I would give you is that there is such a thing as TOO BIG. I haven't seen it with my own eyes but a lot of the posts I've read on here indicate some of the strong preforming projectors start to look not so good when you make the image more than 120" wide or so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.