AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4tb Seagate Hard Drive that had a number of Iso files (Blu Ray Iso's to be exact) become unreadable. They never disappeared from the file folder, they just would not play. No Iso (Iso buster etc) recovery software was able to recover them. Not all of the Iso's were lost, maybe 1/3 of them. Anyways, I tested the hard drive via sea tools and it passed all the tests without a hitch. Is it ok to format and reuse this hard drive? It is not showing any other signs of problems and is not all that old? Thanks

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Do a full format, not a quick format. You might download an eval copy of Stablebit Scanner to run against it after that just to make sure.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a 4tb Seagate Hard Drive that had a number of Iso files (Blu Ray Iso's to be exact) become unreadable. They never disappeared from the file folder, they just would not play. No Iso (Iso buster etc) recovery software was able to recover them. Not all of the Iso's were lost, maybe 1/3 of them. Anyways, I tested the hard drive via sea tools and it passed all the tests without a hitch. Is it ok to format and reuse this hard drive? It is not showing any other signs of problems and is not all that old? Thanks
My hard drive tool of choice has always been spinrite. Steve Gibson knows his stuff. I run spinrite on all newly purchased drives and on anything I suspect isn't 100% healthy. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
642 Posts
You might just have filesystem corruption rather than a bad drive. You do have backups, don't you?

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I've been using Spinrite since I had a 10MB MFM Rodime drive. :) When we started getting the 30MB RLL Seagates and the 40MB... darnit, starts with an M... we started having trouble with those drives. Also I installed a 1:1 interleave Western Digital controller in my PC and wanted to change the interleave from 3:1 to 1:1 to take advantage of the speed. Spinrite could re-low level format those drives in place, was a real time saver.

Anyway, I believe the reason for the limitation is due to the fact he's using FreeDOS to boot and run the tools. I've been meaning to confirm this limitation, but never have. I haven't upgraded in forever, and talked to them about upgrade but they could not find me. But when I "heard" (not confirmed" this limitation, it made sense to me and I keep forgetting to email them. If you email them and find out, let me know.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am just going to run with this drive. It passed all the tests and formatted fine. Could I have had a filesystem corruption that caused the iso's to crap out without it being a problem with the drive itself?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts