AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the money?

Moving to Belgium so will have a lots of different regions DVd's to play. Looking to get the Panny TH-50PX600U Plasma and interested in the upconversion.

Im not an expert but it looks like that Oppo can handle the regions and also the power. Thoughts?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt /forum/post/0

for the money?

Moving to Belgium so will have a lots of different regions DVd's to play. Looking to get the Panny TH-50PX600U Plasma and interested in the upconversion.

Im not an expert but it looks like that Oppo can handle the regions and also the power. Thoughts?

Plasma owners often report enhanced macroblocking with Faroudja-chip players like the 981 and 971. Some people can make it work, others not.

The 970 is often recommended for plasma. It is also universal and can be made region-free.

A possible problem: PAL playback on the 970 is said to be not as good as the other Oppos. But some people use it with PAL disks anyway.

-Bill

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt /forum/post/0

is Macro blocking 'that' bad? If im playing back PAL discs 50-75% of the time the trade off would be worth it if I got the 981 and dealt with macroblocking?

I don't have your plasma, so I don't know. I would be tempted to at least try the 981 because of its PAL performance.

Oppo has really excellent support, and 30-day return. If the 981 doesn't work out I'm sure they would swap it for a 970 and refund the difference. (You have to pay return shipping).

Meanwhile, check the 971 and 981 main threads for instructions by "GSB" on calibrating your gear to reduce MB.

-Bill

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 981, and I haven't had a bit of problems with a Philips 7220 50" plasma (Costco special)

I'd rate it's upconverting at 1080i to be better than the set can do. My wife thinks so too, and she's probably better at things like that. I'm happy with small improvements, she notices the big ones.

Whether it's the best or not? I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I cannot imagine why anyone with a set that can only accept 720p or 1080i would choose 1080i for DVD upconverts. Deinterlacing the 1080i signal by the set is almost certainly problematic, compared to the DVD player.

Most sets that can't accept 1080p should be fed a 720p signal from any upconverting dvd player. You avoid the MYRIAD of deinterlacing errors the set will produce from the 1080i input, your display device can easily scale a 720p signal to its native resolution with little chance of error compared to deinterlacing a 1080i signal. Unless there's some big problem with the displays handling of 720p material.

Recall dvd's are not High def in any way, and you dont get more resolution out of a 1080 upconvert just because 1080 > 720.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzun /forum/post/0

I cannot imagine why anyone with a set that can only accept 720p or 1080i would choose 1080i for DVD upconverts. Deinterlacing the 1080i signal by the set is almost certainly problematic, compared to the DVD player.

How about when connecting the Toshiba HD-DVD player to a 720p display? Do you think sending a 1080i or 720p signal would be the way to go? Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:

Most sets that can't accept 1080p should be fed a 720p signal from any upconverting dvd player. You avoid the MYRIAD of deinterlacing errors the set will produce from the 1080i input, your display device can easily scale a 720p signal to its native resolution with little chance of error compared to deinterlacing a 1080i signal. Unless there's some big problem with the displays handling of 720p material.

Recall dvd's are not High def in any way, and you dont get more resolution out of a 1080 upconvert just because 1080 > 720.

Or in my case where I can't tell the difference on my plasma between 720p or 1080i, if you can tell the difference, leave it at whatever you want.

·
Registered
271 Posts

Quote:

Uzun,

Would it be safe to say that all things being equal, if you have a 1080P display that does not accept 1080P input, you don't need to buy a 1080P (upconverting) dvd player. My reasoning is that the display will not accept and use the 1080P input. You are paying for something you are not using.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winman42 /forum/post/0

Quick query..do these OPPO units play back .TS hdtv files burned to dvd media? Do they support any hdtv files?

No HD file support on any of the Oppos.

-Bill

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubdap /forum/post/0

Uzun,

Would it be safe to say that all things being equal, if you have a 1080P display that does not accept 1080P input, you don't need to buy a 1080P (upconverting) dvd player. My reasoning is that the display will not accept and use the 1080P input. You are paying for something you are not using.

In my testing I compared 720p from an Oppo 971 to 1080p from a 981. The display was a 37" 1080p LCD. I found the images to be almost identical. A larger display might reveal greater differences.

My detailed report is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9128910

-Bill

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:

i agree. deciding what to send from a source can depend on the total path and the amount of processing.

i do what uzun said with regular dvds because my set has been noted not to have perfect motion adaptive deinterlacing of 1080i > 1080p. so a path of 480i/480p>720p by the dvd player and then 720p>1080p by my tv has the least processing errors (eliminates any possible 1080i to 1080p conversion errors).

for HD-DVD, if the source material is 1080i and the tv displays at 720p, the source should be downrezzed by the most competent video processor. that would depend on which tv you had, but i would guess that in most cases, the processor in the hd-dvd player would do a better job than a 720p tv that might be a couple years old. (just a guess, though)

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuba /forum/post/0

for HD-DVD, if the source material is 1080i and the tv displays at 720p, the source should be downrezzed by the most competent video processor. that would depend on which tv you had, but i would guess that in most cases, the processor in the hd-dvd player would do a better job than a 720p tv that might be a couple years old. (just a guess, though)

I believe the source material on both HD and BD discs is 1080p.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Bill, thanks for the info. Was thinking f getting an OPPO for my TV, which is 720P native,

and i think i will still do so, since i've heard nothing but great things about them. Was hoping i would be able to play some HD file formats as well, but you cant have it all, eh?

Win

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winman42 /forum/post/0

Bill, thanks for the info. Was thinking f getting an OPPO for my TV, which is 720P native,

and i think i will still do so, since i've heard nothing but great things about them. Was hoping i would be able to play some HD file formats as well, but you cant have it all, eh?

Win

Well, you can have it all if you go with the Toshiba A2 HD-DVD player (it upscales as well as the Oppo, and plays HD-DVDs). I recently bought mine for only $400.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hmm, so the Toshiba A2 HD-Dvd uit will play various HD file formats, burned to regular dvd media? I already own a few HD Dvd titles, but would love to play the stuff i've downloadedthat is not on HD dvd, and wont appear anytime soon.

Win

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.