AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

So, is this bad for my new plasma?

1598 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  mike7_01
Unpacked the 5080 yesterday, now I'm paranoid. Last night, I watched a movie with black bars, and played some guitar hero 3 (static images) for about an hour. Between that time I had stretched SD content on the screen. Should I be avoiding movies with black bars and video games for the first week or two? I hear that i may not notice anything now, but a few years down the road it may make a difference. Would I be ok if i just looped the break in dvd overnight? Am I too paranoid?

Oh, and as a side note.... picked up this TV for $1600 (with deals and discounts)... cant beat it!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
It's ruined....almost completely useless now.
Tell you what, since I'm such a nice guy I'll give you $500 for the piece of junk and that includes pick-up from your home.
See less See more
Vary your content and you will be fine. At this early stage I would'nt attempt any 8 hour GH3 sessions!!
Very nice question

I just bought the same TV last week. Again very nice sale
It is actually on it's way here. I am getting it delivered from the store ( That way if anything is damaged they will know it wasn't I who did it)

Very nice question though. Since it is going to be here in a hour or so, I am going to want to try out some 360 games, see how it looks. Very excited. I am not going to play them for long ( The wife is going to want to watch some movies) that won't hurt it correct? If I play a little CoD4, or Halo3 on it?

Don't worry about being paranoid. I'm just like you as well. Very nice TV, and don't want to ruin it
See less See more
Stretch all your 4:3 content and don't use black bars otherwise you will have a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/12831711

Stretch all your 4:3 content and don't use black bars otherwise you will have a problem

You know it's a Pioneer were talking about here not a Samsung...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7_01 /forum/post/12832615

You know it's a Pioneer were talking about here not a Samsung...

Whatever.

I have a Samsung, and I play plenty of material with black bars on it and I don't "have a problem".

Would I run 4:3 with black bars on 24/7 during break-in? No. But I wouldn't worry about occasional 4:3 use (or other non 16:9 aspect stuff). If you see any IR just run some full-screen material (or whatever screen protection stuff your TV may have) for a while until the IR "ghost" is gone.
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/12826158

It's ruined....almost completely useless now.
Tell you what, since I'm such a nice guy I'll give you $500 for the piece of junk and that includes pick-up from your home.

I agree, it's not worth the risk. I'll go $525.00 White Glove pickup included!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynn007 /forum/post/12831371

Very nice question

I just bought the same TV last week. Again very nice sale
It is actually on it's way here. I am getting it delivered from the store ( That way if anything is damaged they will know it wasn't I who did it)

Very nice question though. Since it is going to be here in a hour or so, I am going to want to try out some 360 games, see how it looks. Very excited. I am not going to play them for long ( The wife is going to want to watch some movies) that won't hurt it correct? If I play a little CoD4, or Halo3 on it?

Don't worry about being paranoid. I'm just like you as well. Very nice TV, and don't want to ruin it

Don't watch any football games, all those big hits might jar a chip loose.
See less See more
Just a correction, It's not the "Big Hits" that jar the chips loose it's the "Late Hits" that jar them loose!
i also have a samsung 5084 and have NO ISSUES with burn in and i can game for hours on end with no problems

so your comment is wrong all plasmas have some type of burn in some more then others some with no burn it

get your mind right

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheb0x /forum/post/12839494

i also have a samsung 5084 and have NO ISSUES with burn in and i can game for hours on end with no problems

so your comment is wrong all plasmas have some type of burn in some more then others some with no burn it

get your mind right

My comment was in jest. I am not a Samsung hater...I am not going to post bad things about Samsungs in every possible place--like a certain someone does when it comes to Panny's. It's just from what I've read, of the big three manufacturers, it seems like IR/burn-in have been more of an issue with Samsung panels than pio and pannys.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.