AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, this is really turning out to be a hard decision. Now I'm thinkin Infocus X1 or 4805, Optoma H30, or even a BenQ 6100 since they are so cheap. So many choices.

I'm less likely to go for a 4805 since I'm not sure where to get a good deal on one locally. So I guess it comes down to X1, H30, and 6100. Is the H30 worth the extra $?

Also, are prices likely going to move down closer to Xmas? Are any new model releases coming up in the near future?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hmmmm... It's a pity you need to find a good deal locally for the 4805 as it is clear and away a better projector then your other choices and as it just so happens is a power buy right now. But, if you can't go with the 4805 (which would by far be my first choice) it depends on what you want to use it for. If you think you are affected by the rainbow effect of DLP projectors then the H30 is a good choice with it's 4x color wheel for a bit more money. It also has great color compared to the X1 and BenQ 6100. If you are not bothered by the Rainbow effect like I am, or if you plan to watch any kind of 480i material (like TV, VHS, DVD running on a non-progressive player) you may want to check out the X1 with it's Faroudja de-interlacer chip. For 799$ The X1 is a steal. It also has the longest lamp life with a lamp lasting 4000 hours and costing 300$. Food for thought if you are on a budget. The BenQ 6100 on the otherhand is a projector in the same price range as the X1, but with a 3x color wheel instead of the 2x color wheel that the X1 is packing. Again, a issue if you are bothered by rainbows. But if I may say so, if you ARE bothered by rainbows you would be better off spending a few hundread more bucks for the H30. Bear in mind though that neither the H30 or 6100 have a de-interlacer as good as the X1's faroudja chip, but that may not be a issue if you only plan to watch progressive material or better. With that said I highly suggest you get a Infocus 4805. It matchs the H30's 4x color wheel while matching the X1's faroudja chip and lamp life in addition to be a true widescreen, hometheater projector complete with a DVI input and Component input. Both of which are lacking on the other 3.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I own an H30 and I have to disagree with some of Sonikku's comments. I have seen the 4805 and I cannot say that it is a better projector. Overall I would say that the H30 and the 4805 are very similar, but I feel the H30 provides better, more saturated colors. I also do not feel that the Faroudja solution is superior to the Pixelworks solution. The DCDi is considered the defacto standard, but the Pixelworks setup in the H30 passes the Faroudja tests and has EXCELLENT de-interlacing ability. I use a Panasonic RP91 in 480i mode and I let the H30 do the work and the picture is excellent. It has a very strong, crisp picture.

I have seen the X1 and for 799 it is OK, but it is no comparison to the H30. I have not seen the Benq in action.

As far as lamp life goes, I would rather have 3000 hours of excellent viewing rather than 4000 hours of mediocre viewing.

So, my vote goes for the H30. If you have your heart set on a DVI connection, that is something the 4805 has that the H30 does not. I use the component in on the H30 and it looks great.

Mike

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Well said Shock96- I was preparing my rebuttal to Sonikku's opinions of the H30 and saw right below it that you beat me to it. :) If I remember correctly- mxkool's original post in a different thread indicated that well over 50% of his usage is 4:3 for the foreseeable future. This is why I originally suggested he take a peek at the H30 review at ProjectorCentral, etc. This was my guiding factor in getting a 4:3 projector and for me it makes perfect sense. I doubt that my next projector 2-4 years from now will be a 4:3 but it much better suits my needs now. Viewing a lot of 4:3 material in the 640x480 center window of a 4805 would not be as satisfying to me as my big old 800x600 82" screen I'm using now. The Pixelworks scaler/deinterlacer on the H30 works just fine. The H30 also accepts component through it's VGA port with an included adapter.

There are some very experienced- knowledgeable people in the H30 and 4805 forums that have seen and in some instances owned both. They have indicated that the image quality is very similar between the 4805 and H30. The 4805 has a slight advantage in brightness and out of the box calibration may be a little closer to ideal although mine was great out of the box on the H30. The H30 has been reported by some to have less screen door effect and a smoother more film like image.

It has been stated several times before- no one would be unhappy with either unit since they are so close. I think it boils down to whether 4:3 or 16:9 makes the most sense for you right now.

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.