AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first asked around about a solution that would allow me to view my cable channels on my PC and perhaps get rid of my set top box I was told to look up OCUR, which is not available yet. So I gave up (though I did learn a TON of good info).

Recently I came across several references to a card called MYHD, and did a bunch of research on THAT. It sounds exactly like what I want, but it doesnt run under MCE...

So let me refrase my question. While using WIndows MCE (or MCE Vista, on the 30th) is there a way to view my cable channels without using my Settop Comcast box? I currently use a Hauppauge TV Tuner card but I get poor quality out of it (not using the settop box with it so I get an analog signal). I would like to get HD quality TV if possible. Pretty much I want what the MYHD-130 card claims to do but want one that is compatable with the MCE interface (or the MCE Vista interface). I have no desire (and dont subscribe to the channels) to view "premium content" like HBO, PayPerVIew, ect. I just want a sharp quality digital picture on all the major TV stations (pretty much channels 1- 180), with the ability to view HD content from the main 5 (or so) netwroks. I would like to eliminate the need for a IR blaster if at all possible but will consider keeping the settop box if I must.

I found one product called FusionHDTV5 Gold QAM but know little about these new QAM products.

Is what I want available?

·
Registered
996 Posts
If all you want are the major networks, have you tried OTA tuners? I am assuming that you are in the US, so you should be able to pull in OTA signals. Right now it is your best bet for getting HD in MCE without using an external box.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for that link (I did do searches before posting this but got a MILLION hits on my QAM search).

I am definately not married to the MCE interface, but I use MyMovies2 to organize all my ripped DVD collection (about 300 DIVX ripped movies/episodes now). IF I went with this MYHD interface how would I access my online DVD collection with nothing more than a remote? I would be all for the MYHD card if I had some good way to also access my Ripped DVD collection with just a remote.

No one seems to know really how QAM will work with VISTA in the attached FAQ but vista has been out for two months now (corporate customers) and the open beta has been out for a few more months than that.. Does anyone know if VISTA is likely to over come a lot of these issues to allow the MYHD card (or some similar) to work?

Am I right in thinking that (HD aside) if I go from plugging my cable into my hauppauge 150 to plugging my cable into a QAM abled card I will get better video? Currently my picture quality with the Hauppauge and no STB is pretty bad. I always assumed this was because I was using a basic analog signal sent over the cable wire (and not the digital I pay for).

·
Registered
788 Posts
Several issues here. First, you need to look up which channels your Comcast cable is carrying in unscrambled analog (NTSC) only, and which are available in unencrypted (clear) QAM. My Time-Warner service has probably hundreds of digital channels, but essentially only ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS are available via clear-QAM. So, I still need analog tuners for most channels, and my cable company DVR for most digital channels. The SiliconDust HDHomeRun will soon have MCE support; it has two ATSC/QAM tuners, and connects to your computer via Ethernet (it's a small external box). My analog board is also a Hauppauge, and yes, they have pretty poor video. I recently bought an ATI 650, which is supposed to have the best analog picture but some users have recently posted complaints; I'll install it when the humidity is higher and static-discharge risk is lower.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So...

It sounds like that if I want Quality Video (non-hd) and the ability to watch the HD channels when I want, I need to use the STB?

For those using MyHD-130...

How do you manage your DVD collection using just a remote? By manage I mean, how do you find movies (in a list of hundereds) and select them to be played on your TV? I use MyMovies which is MCE dependant, how do you do it?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_smith1969 /forum/post/0

For those using MyHD-130...

How do you manage your DVD collection using just a remote? By manage I mean, how do you find movies (in a list of hundereds) and select them to be played on your TV? I use MyMovies which is MCE dependant, how do you do it?

You probably don't want an approach like mine - but most of my movies are HD - around 20 hard disks worth (avg maybe 160 gig drives).

I catalog the movies on Internet Movie data base by hand including storage location - then sneaker net the movie via a usb dongle onto my HTPC for direct viewing in theater or via a server elsewhere such as via a LinkPlayer2 into my family room HD set. In the theater I use the MyHD and its own remote for viewing/contolling HD movies or DVDs. The HD files need to be added to the MyHD playlist manually.

For the 20-30 dvds I have I just add them to the IMDB list and play off the disks when I am interested - but I don't watch DVDs very often. If these were already ripped to disk you could add the directory/list directly to a MyHD playlist for playing using the MyHD on screen guide.(you would need something like AnyDVD to play commercial DVDs with MyHD)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.