AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been an eye opener for me. My 50G10 had really severe flicker & some bright blotches on my screen. I call Panny CS & they send a tech. He notes what I see & he says I have dead pixel as well. Basically my panel is bad. Checks something in the Service Menu & apparently the set flickered on something there that it shouldn't. He says they'll likely give me a new set. Panny CS calls 2 days later & says my set needs to be replaced.

But........ all they do is is issue a credit to the place I bought it. So I go in looking for a 50G10 or perhaps G20 now & they have neither. In spite of the issues noted on this forum with the G10 (black level especially) I really just wanted my set replaced. I know there are issues but my set is broken so I never had the G10 I should have got from the start. The flicker on mine is/was brutal at times.

So now I have to decide what to do. The dealer suggested waiting for the new "G2" if I was patient say about 2 months away which I told him it must be the G20. He says no the puter says G2. It's $1999 Can. list but I'm not sure if he's confusing it with the new S2 either. I can also buy another tv say a S1 50" (cheaper) or 54" S1 for the same price as what I paid. Or buy a Samsung for that matter. Panny doesn't care if I buy someone else's tv either. I asked them.

But if say a G20 or G25 were to cost more it's my problem to pay the cost. I am having rather mixed feelings about the warranty experience. On one hand they acted very quickly but on the other it's up to me to find a set, make a good deal hopefully & carry on. Anyways thought I'd share this with others & perhaps someone has some suggestions on what to do or get going forward.

Oh & I almost forgot it's my problem to return this set too. I picked up my set the first time but it was a pain too. So I'll have to pay delivery & removal now I guess.

Edit:
Would anyone happen to know what the 50" G20 or G25 prices will be in Canada? I haven't been able to find that yet. I understand they should be available in Canada around the end of April. I think I'd like to find one of those if I don't have to shell out too much extra money. I'm kind of leary of buying a Samsung but I'm considering them. I thought Panny would simply replace my set with the same one or give me a replacement from the new line that's equivalent. Silly me....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Like i said, The Brick will be selling it for $1998. I guarantee you Best Buy and Future Shop will retail for $2000-$2100. If cost is an issue, take a good look at the 50LGPK750. It has all the features of the 50G20 plus 24p 3:3 cinesmooth playback. LG is promising better than ever blacks but we'll have to wait and see. The set will be out in April and should retail for approx $1500

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Tercel. I never considered LG due to IR issues as the set will have a lot of XBOX gaming on it. It certainly has been resistant to IR so far. But thank you for the Brick info as it may be helpful for price matching too. it never hurts to have the info when buying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.