AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me crazy. I saw the great deal on the X1 from Dell and snatched it. After ebates and coupons I ended up paying around $770 for it. I've always wanted a projector :). Well, now I've got it. Any suggestions for good guides for beginners to both projectors and the X1 in particular? Obviously I need to get a handle on a screen, etc; It will be hooked up to my HTPC for starters.

Thanks,

MP

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Don't feel bad. I did the same thing 9 months ago for over twice that much and I probably can't afford it anymore than you :D

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent! :) Thanks. I'm hoping that the WAF won't clamp down hard on this. Ah well, she just won't see it untill I'm ready. I'm sure I'll be back with all sorts of asinine questions.

-MP

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2 main hookups are going to be my HTPC for DVD/NTSC cable play and my Scientific Atlantic 3100HD Digital Cable box. So... in reading the info it looks like I am going to have to find some way for the two to share the VGA port. The HTPC will obviously run on the VGA port itself, and I guess I would need the component to VESA adapter for the SA box since it doesn't have a VGA out. Then I'd need a VGA switchbox. Is there a particular brand recommended? This will teach me to impule buy :).

-MP

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
This will definately teach you to impulse buy! Try around $90-$100.... for a good switch box. Those cheapos don't work. They ghost! I have tried and tried and have figured out the only way to make it work is with a KVM switch that has a powersupply in the box. If no powersupply don't buy it!!!

This rules out those cheap ones using the Ps/2 port for their power like the Cheap $40 IOMEGA and Cheap Linksys KVM switches!

That rules out Belkin! All of their new switches don't have power supplies. The older ones did. This rules out those cheapo manual switchboxes.

I tried a product called Startech Presentation Jockey... Don't buy it. Even though it has a powersupply, that won't work either! It can't see the VGA adaptor hooked up to the DVD player....

I went through lots and lots of frustration to get both my HTPC and my DVD player (Progressive mode) to be together in the same VGA input.

I believe the Linksys and IOMEGA with power supplies are the only ones that will work. I wish Technut did/would do some research on this. He didn't.

Anyone who claims that the other switches work. Don't listen to them. They don't realize how good the picture can be with the powersupply hooked up! photographs look incredible on the X1 and HTPC provided you have the switch box.

Remember, you can always switch the cables manually, but if you have it ceiling mounted like I do. Forget that option!

Technut, if you are reading this, Please Please take my experience and add it to the unofficial X1 FAQ sheets. Lots and Lots of people want to have multiple items hooked up to the VGA Port. Interlaced just isn't good enough. Progressive makes a difference provided you spent enough money on a good DVD player! Also Good monitor cables are very very important. Cheap monitor cables also introduce ghosting!

I find this topic so frustrating and have spent so much time trying to get it right. I still am not happy. I want a switch that also has an on/off switch on it and a remote control so you don't have to plug/unplug the powerswitch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can you private message me, or email me to let me know how you got the x1 for that price. I tried contacting dell today, and they said theres no discounts on them. I have read 2 threads today on this I'm wondering what the deal is. thanks

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out fatwallet... essentially it is a 20% discount from Dell SB on software and peripherals coupon, plus a stackable 10% coupon, and then the 2% back from ebates or 2.5% from Fatwallet.

Edward, interesting... what switch did you go with?

-MP

·
Registered
167 Posts
If I could only find the 10% coupon... I'm sure I got it in the email, but I must have deleted it :( I do, however, have the 20% one :).

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can always buy one for like $9-$10. Just look in the Buy and Sell forum there, lots of people sell them.

-MP

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edwardr132
Try around $90-$100.... for a good switch box. Those cheapos don't work. They ghost! I have tried and tried and have figured out the only way to make it work is with a KVM switch that has a powersupply in the box. If no powersupply don't buy it!!!

I believe the Linksys and IOMEGA with power supplies are the only ones that will work.

I wish Technut did/would do some research on this. He didn't.

Technut, if you are reading this, Please Please take my experience and add it to the unofficial X1 FAQ sheets. Lots and Lots of people want to have multiple items hooked up to the VGA Port. Interlaced just isn't good enough. Progressive makes a difference provided you spent enough money on a good DVD player! Also Good monitor cables are very very important. Cheap monitor cables also introduce ghosting!

I find this topic so frustrating and have spent so much time trying to get it right. I still am not happy.
edwardr132, I appreciate your information. But please don't misunderstand what I'm doing with the X1 FAQ.

First off, I am not a product tester. I am a hobbyist and, in the case of the X1 FAQ, I am a editor/compiler/consolidator of information on a topic that interests me personally.

Secondly, I'm focusing on a FAQ about the X1 itself, not so much about peripherals which would apply to a wide variety of other projectors or Home Theater equipment. There is plenty enough information about the X1 to fill a FAQ without trying to cover every piece of peripheral equipment. I'm disappointed to see that more people aren't channeling their interests and knowledge into creating web pages and FAQs on other topics, but I can't take on more than the X1 at this time.

Thirdly, even if I were to delve into switches and cabling, on topics which I don't have enough first hand knowledge of I'm collecting information from others. And where I find there is a common sense answer, or consensus, or some authoritative source, or if I can confirm it myself, then I will make a point of including that information in the FAQ (when I do the next major update.. I've only been doing minor patches recently). On the topic of switches and cabling I've found there is a lot of difference of opinion on what works and how much you need to spend.

I don't think everyone would agree that there are only a very few switches that are usable. And cheap cables seem to work fine for some people (especially for short runs). I myself have a basic off-the-shelf manual VGA switch and cheap 6 foot cables and the image from my PC and my 1080i HDTV are both entirely satisfactory. I recognize that what I find good enough may not be good enough for your situation. But you must also recognize that not everyone needs to limit themselves to a few switches and the best cables in order to be satisfied.

If/when I beef up the Cabling section of the FAQ I will certainly take your input and experiences into account. But I encourage you to take your interest in this topic, and your accumulated knowledge and experience, and channel that into creating an unbiased (as much as possible) examination of the common problems that people will run into with cabling and switches. And then put it together into a web page or some kind of document that will benefit others when they are looking for information on the topic. It would obviously benefit not only X1 owners, but everyone that has to deal with video cabling. And I encourage anyone else that has ever been frustrated by a topic, or had a special interest in a topic, to also use that information and experience to benefit others by doing something similar. There's lots of room for good FAQs on Home Theater related topics. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would... but I have a pretty large negative balance on my Paypal account. Basically, I sold something used 4 months ago -> accepted paypal, -> the guy who purchased the item "suddenly" decided that the thing was broken, even though he gave me a positive feedback and the machine worked like new -> he filed a claim with his CC and Paypal reversed the transaction. Right now, they are disputing the claim w/ CC, but it may take up to 75 days... :( Until then, I either caugh up $1K or refrain from using the service.... Oh, well......

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I've got an old Belkin switch on the shelf that I'll give a try. And if I don't like it, I'll spring for a new one :). A little off-topic, but has anyone used an MP-1 modded Radeon with the X1? You have to convert the BNCs of course, but it's supposed to be a serious video quality :).

-MP

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
MadPoet and anybody else. I think it is possible to have a KVM switch work without a powersupply,(I have not found it), but I think the manufacturers made them too cheap with not enough shielding, hence, the ghosting. They also did not have the X1 in mind when they manufactured them.... KVM switches now mostly run off of the PS/2 Port for power. They look great on the PC side when the PC is turned on. Problem is you see nothing when the PC is off or on the DVD player. Ghosting is aggrivated by the larger screen size. You can see it more clearly and images look fuzzy. You can use the cheap switches, just know in advance your picture is nowhere near as good as it can be. This is similar to using an Svideo cable on the X1 and not realizing component cables with progressive scan on a good DVD player makes a huge difference.

If you own the Belkin switch, go ahead and try it. If if has a power supply, the older ones did, you are most likely in GREAT shape! The test I found for ghosting is on a white background see if you see more than one mouse curser on the screen. On menus such as those where you click the right mouse button, look if you see lines on the left.

Technut, I think this issue lies mostly in the fault of Infocus by cutting corners and not including component in on the X1 and not letting Progressive Scan images take place on both the Svideo port as well as the RGB port. Hence why I consider this an Infocus X1 issue, and not just a issue that applies to all projectors.

The brand I am using now is the IOgear model GCS102U (cost about $90/or so for anybody who cares. It is a Miniview 2 Port USB KVM and Peripheral Sharing Switch. It works precisely because the Switch cannot get power from the USB ports and therefore comes with a Powersupply. Problems mentioned earlier are 1) no remote control and 2) no on/off switch. I still have to unplug the switch to turn it off or more precisely, my wife has to connect the power supply to watch a DVD movie. Not as wife friendly as could be. Awesome picture though for you single guys!

I saw a Dlink model# DKVM-4 that should also work. It has a power supply. I have not tried that model. Cost around $90/so... This is a 4 port model. If I want to hook up more than the HTPC and the DVD player using Component outputs, I may have to consider this one.

Models that I have tried and failed miserably are:

IOGear Miniview Micro 2-port PS/2 KVM switch (power from PS/2 Ports) Costs around $40... No picture through DVD player, but PC looked great.

Back to the store it went.

QVS Commercial Grade Gold Plated Contacts DATAswitch (manual) model CA298-4S It is probably the best manual data switch you can buy and costs around $21.95 Quality looks like the computer not in native mode resolution. All text is fuzzy on the PC when should be razor sharp. DVD picture worked. Back to the store it went.

Startech Presentation Jockey - Cost $100/so Great looks, but PC picture ghosts and no DVD player viewing possible through it using the Component to VGA cable. Back to the store it went.

In case people are wondering why not use component cables on interlaced mode on the projector using the modified Svideo port? Because that is where my analog cable is going in from the VCR. I want my football!!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Like Roto, I also paid twice as much as you did in the beginning of the year!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm close to impulse buying this...what do you guys think?

I won't really be using it at all for 9-12 months. At that time, will there be a better projector at the same price? My thoughts are I should wait as there will be a better tech projector for the same price...maybe a x2 with the faja chip and 4:3 and 16:9 option?

I know that the rev2 x1 will not have the faro chip...but i'm thinking 9-12 mths down the line...

I want to buy, but my little voice (intelligence) is telling me to wait...

Thanks.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by philw007
I'm close to impulse buying this...what do you guys think?

I won't really be using it at all for 9-12 months.
If you don't need it for that long, don't buy it. It isn't that great a deal.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
Call me crazy. I saw the great deal on the X1 from Dell and snatched it. After ebates and coupons I ended up paying around $770 for it. I've always wanted a projector :). Well, now I've got it. Any suggestions for good guides for beginners to both projectors and the X1 in particular? Obviously I need to get a handle on a screen, etc; It will be hooked up to my HTPC for starters.

Thanks,

MP
The price listed on the website is $999, and the $100 rebate has expired, so how did you get it down to $770?

thanks,

HIB

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
20% off Dell SB Software and Peripherals Coupon + 10% off Dell stackable on everything coupon + Fatcash from Fatwallet.

-MP

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.