AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine is building his sub box out of 5/8" particle board. I'm 99% sure this is a mistake. Its a 15" dayton sub with a 240 watt PE plate amp. Its ported with a single 6" port. I gave him a little bit of 1/2" mdf to double up on his baffle but he's got only 1 layer of particle board on the other 5 sides. The only thing I think that might possibly save him is the fact that the port is so large and I've talked him into putting a bunch of bracing. Is this thing just going to fall apart?

I'm building the same sub out of 3/4" mdf with a double front baffle as soon as my equipment gets here. I'm willing to bet the two sound different.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I wouldn't think it would fall apart, it would just be very flexible. I would also think they would sound different.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm sure they would sound different as well although that sub isn't particularly large. Is he going to have any sort of internal bracing?

·
Registered
820 Posts
5/8" will definitely flex a bit more, depending on how much bracing he uses. If it's adequately braced, it can be made pretty stiff. The major downside of particleboard is that it's not nearly as durable as either plywood or MDF. It chips and splits more easily, and will not withstand repeated removal and reinstallation of screws. At a minimum, he'll want to glue blocks on the backside of the baffle to accept the woofer mounting screws. I'd use either plywood or a solid hardwood for that purpose.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So he's already built it? If so, just try it out. If it works, fine, if it doesn't he just needs to build another one out of 3/4" MDF.

If he hasn't built it yet, tell him to scrap the particleboard and to do it the right way first rather than having to go back and rebuild if the PB doesn't hold up.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnatsch517 /forum/post/15548961

I'm sure they would sound different as well although that sub isn't particularly large. Is he going to have any sort of internal bracing?

Yeah. I talked him into 3 sets of hor+ver bracing. I doubt its enough but more than he had originally planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gilbert /forum/post/15550530

It chips and splits more easily, and will not withstand repeated removal and reinstallation of screws. At a minimum, he'll want to glue blocks on the backside of the baffle to accept the woofer mounting screws. I'd use either plywood or a solid hardwood for that purpose.

I gave him some 1/2" MDF that I had laying around from my statements build to double his front baffle.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I've built a sub out of 5/8" particle board with no problems. Doubled up the baffle and braced in 3 directions with 2x2 pine. Many of the subs you see around here are extremely overbuilt, but wood is cheap and labor is free so there's not much reason not to. Either way, with adequate bracing and a ported design (decreased internal pressure) I doubt your friend will hear any ill effects. Just be careful moving it (corners bust easily) and don't try to put screws back in the same holes.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only screws going in it are for the driver. He's tearing up my titebond building it.

I'll see if I can get him to add more bracing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts