AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
then he has the nerve to tell me I should look into wireless Bose speakers so I don't have ugly wires. Then he start mentioning other brands like JL audio, Alpine, and Rockford Fosgate...among others WTF!!!

I almost had an aneurism. I called him a F%$&*# retard, and then my gf gets mad at me for being too harsh (it was her cousin). This guy is known for being a little socially inept, but i blew a fuse.

sorry, /rant off

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ha!

It's generally better to keep your cool imo, but I understand where you are coming from.

I've heard similar comments from some neighbors who don't really know anything about audio, but I've learned not to bother going down that path. At most, I'll say that I had a listen to a few Bose products (true) and that they were actually quite poor performers compared to what I bought. And leave it at that.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Should have told him your "ugly" speaker wire by itself (without the speaker even being attached) costs more and sounds better then anything Bose has ever made

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainhulk /forum/post/18229158

then he has the nerve to tell me I should look into wireless Bose speakers so I don't have ugly wires. Then he start mentioning other brands like JL audio, Alpine, and Rockford Fosgate...among others WTF!!!

I almost had an aneurism. I called him a F%$&*# retard, and then my gf gets mad at me for being too harsh (it was her cousin). This guy is known for being a little socially inept, but i blew a fuse.

sorry, /rant off

I'll round up a bunch of us audio inclined guys and will rough' em up a bit for you

Seriously

He sounds like a clown don't sweat the small stuff

Djoel

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Isn't Alpine only car speakers?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I work with a guy like that. He is complete dumb #ss. If it isn't one of the mainstream names he won't accept them as being any good. He also thinks his 12 band graphic eq can fix any recording.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz /forum/post/18229762

I work with a guy like that. He is complete dumb #ss. If it isn't one of the mainstream names he won't accept them as being any good. He also thinks his 12 band graphic eq can fix any recording.

You hit the nail my friend, if it isn't mainstream they're oblivious to it. If I had a dime for every time hear how bose are the best speakers out there

I just smile and tell them that you know of

DJoel

·
Registered
515 Posts
" called him a F%$&*# retard"

..I think you over reacted just a bit, no? You might have seized upon it as an opportunity to educate someone about what excites you about this hobby. ..Handled a bit more gracefully it might have elevated your GF's perception of your gear as well.

So he saw your 805's, but did he hear them?? A quick demonstration might have convinced him that there's a world of difference b/w bose mini-cubes and a well engineered pair of stand-mounted speakers.

·
Registered
975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 /forum/post/18230018

" called him a F%$&*# retard"

..I think you over reacted just a bit, no? You might have seized upon it as an opportunity to educate someone about what excites you about this hobby. ..Handled a bit more gracefully it might have elevated your GF's perception of your gear as well.

So he saw your 805's, but did he hear them?? A quick demonstration might have convinced him that there's a world of difference b/w bose mini-cubes and a well engineered pair of stand-mounted speakers.

+1. I love demoing my B&Ws for people who's never heard true hi-fi before and letting the speakers do the talking. With good reference material it's normally jaw droppage.
I love the comments that follow afterwards too.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Nothing like tough love, good on ya.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
He heard you rollin', he hatin'....

In all seriousness I've heard crap like this many times from my friends and family. If they don't know **** about audio they comment on how big and ugly my speakers are and they MUST be for blastin' only. And for my audiophile snobbish brothers they both sneered their nose up at my system when I told them I was running four 15's and four 12's.

That is until they actually heard it play at a decent volume where it shakes the floors yet is controlled and tight at the same time. Not muddy and needing to be blasted at full volume to be felt. But people on both sides of the fence tend to jugde based on looks and brand names. Often times dismissing a particular system, setup, brand, woofer size, etc all because of preconceived notions or just plain ignorance to the mere basics of home audio.

In the end I don't let it sweat me. Because I am the one forking over a third or more of paychecks and overtime on this hobby. And I am the only one who has to live with this setup on a daily basis. They do not.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/18231060

He heard you rollin', he hatin'....

In all seriousness I've heard crap like this many times from my friends and family. If they don't know **** about audio they comment on how big and ugly my speakers are and they MUST be for blastin' only. And for my audiophile snobbish brothers they both sneered their nose up at my system when I told them I was running four 15's and four 12's.

That is until they actually heard it play at a decent volume where it shakes the floors yet is controlled and tight at the same time. Not muddy and needing to be blasted at full volume to be felt. But people on both sides of the fence tend to jugde based on looks and brand names. Often times dismissing a particular system, setup, brand, woofer size, etc all because of preconceived notions or just plain ignorance to the mere basics of home audio.

In the end I don't let it sweat me. Because I am the one forking over a third or more of paychecks and overtime on this hobby. And I am the only one who has to live with this setup on a daily basis. They do not.

That doesn't even rhyme bro

Djoel

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/18232818

Lol. I guess no one here is a fan of Chamillionaire. Wonder why?

It's a pun on his song "Ridin".

Sorry I didn't know there was such a person

Djoel

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's funny, cause I always considered B&W to be quite mainstream, at least since getting even a LITTLE interest in audio.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts