AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
I wouldn't know because I don't copy CDs or DVDs! But I also don't appreciate these newer CDs with watermarking copy protection, either!!!

Sergio - what is so embarrassing???? That a "tweak" can make a difference? Do you think MSNBC will now have a "Tweaks" forum. HA!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't this a tweaker/hacker's wet dream ? A simple tweak that will not only make your CD's sound better, but it will effectively disable a multibillion dollar company's antipiracy mechanism. ;)

I still can't believe how embarassing this must be for Sony and all others involved.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
One of Lindstrom's Laws:

"If your customers want to steal from you, you can't stop them."

After nearly 25 years of piracy cat and mouse, you'd think that media companies would have learned that there is no copy-protection scheme that cannot be defeated.

What is embarrassing about this is that the Sony executives responsible for developing these protection schemes (or licensing them) are so naive and easily taken in that they will approve something that is so obviously defeatable. That's pathetic.

I still believe that if you offer a good product at a fair price, those customers who are inclined to purchase from you WILL purchase. Those who want to steal the product will always find a way and, if they can't get it for free, they don't want it and won't buy it.

As a result, I've always thought that the billion dollar "losses" companies attribute to piracy are vastly inflated because those "lost" sales are unproven.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I like to be able to play CD's on my Mac if I choose to. If Sony sells products that prevent me from doing so, I will never buy it, and consider boycotting them.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by boblinds
One of Lindstrom's Laws:

What is embarrassing about this is that the Sony executives responsible for developing these protection schemes (or licensing them) are so naive and easily taken in that they will approve something that is so obviously defeatable. That's pathetic.

I think we can soon start reffering to them as former executives!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I personally think it is hilarious. These people a screaming about the millions they are loosing do to piracy. Well if they would have taken the millions the R & D department spent on this new copy protection it would have been a wash. So all they ended up doing is doubling the money lost. (I am facetiously assuming the R & D money uis equal to the 'lost revenue'), which it probably isn't. Just a thought.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Man this is Hilarious.... 2 people will benefit from this, Celine Dion(Because everyone will run to their neghborhood stores to pick up a copy just to try it) and Good Ol'e SHARPIE :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
So what's next? A "hard key" to be plugged into the back of

"new Sony CD players" to allow you to play their discs?

Dear Sony; The corral is empty of horses, no point in shutting the gate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.