AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!! The short of it is that I'd like to have sound on the deck as well as in the main room of the house; I think my Onkyo 603's Zone 2 feature should be able to do it well. But speakers! And placement...here's the deck in question.

I, in my incredibly limited scope of understanding, see two options:

1. I could do outdoor speakers under the eaves along the house, or

2. I could use indoor speakers (bookshelf) mounted up high just inside the (opened) windows of the sunroom looking out. I know that indoor speakers tend to perform much better for the money, but that room is *not* climate controlled...especially in the summer (here in middle Tennessee it gets warm!) I don't want to fry anything, either. They would stay dry but they would be subject to vast temperature swings!

By the way, I'm all about hunting on Craigslist for used gear.

The SECOND question...bass!!! I have a BIC America V12 sub (which for the money really does well.) I'll like to use it to help out these smaller speakers. I thought perhaps I could put it *inside* the sunroom and open the windows and hope it would make some difference on the deck itself - but again, especially being a powered subwoofer with its own amp, would it be OK to stay in a hot room? I suppose I could figure out some kind of quick-disconnect setup to bring it out for parties but keep it indoors other times. I might even be able to put it outside in the corner! Pic #3 .

Guys, thank you so much for taking the time to read this and for weighing in. Your expertise is vast and your helpfulness is great!

Many, many thanks, all!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I put my def tech aw6500's under the eaves. They sounds great and surprised me with their bass, with proper placement.

I would put your speakers under the eaves, angle them towards your main listening position! You only have so many parties so set it up for a nightly beer drinking spot.

You can get different brackets that would allow you to adjust if you wanted the sound to project out over your yard instead of your beer spot, if you were throwing a party.

With a long deck its hard, if you walk 5 feet one way, that's the speaker your really going to hear.

I ran into that problem, do I mount the speakers wide on both sides, or just go with my main listening position? I chose to have my speakers prepped for my daily listening instead of the full yard occasisional party.

See my attached photo, of where my speakers are, and where my new patio will be going. I listen and sit to the left 80 percent of the time, so I set up my speakers there.

You could also buy a couple more speakers to cover the area, but at $400 a pair I was fine with these alone. I have neighbors lol.

As for the sub, I haven't tried an outdoor sub, I can't see it working all that well, but I would not be against trying it. They make subs for outdoor use, that you can bury in the ground with a port sticking up. I would love to hear one that is installed.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.