AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hearing and reading good things about the "low-end" AMD video cards to be mainly used in HTPCs (newer 5K and 6K series). There's also the always-faithful Nvidia GT430 to float a lot of people's boats. What's your choice for HTPC use? Let's take a look at power consumption, heat (fanless vs with fans), sound levels, and, of course, performance.

Thank you all, and may the best GPU not necessarily win, but, may we share thoughts and ideas as one, as the community known as AVS!!

*cue epic national patriotic music here*

(/corn)

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Unfortunately, there's no single best GPU. Aside from people having different requirements, pretty much all options have their own set of issues. Personally, I prefer Intel Clarkdale or Sandy Bridge IGP for builds that don't require GPU muscle and NVIDIA graphics for those that do. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for that perfect NVIDIA card - 9800 GT-level performance with HD 5450-level power envelope.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
We are not going to all agree on this
. So far, all the ones I've used have their pros and cons. I haven't tried nVidia yet though. Universally, all the drivers suck a**.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion
We are not going to all agree on this
Well, I think we could all agree that all GPU's suck (albeit, each have their own degree of suckage) and that the perfect HTPC GPU doesn't exist yet.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth
So, what do we all agree is the best GPU for an HTPC?
We don't agree on what is best.

We do agree that every available option is flawed.

But hey, if there was one single choice that worked perfectly for all media in all situations with all connected components, what would be left to discuss?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Anandtech.com, who I'm willing to believe, claims that the king of HTPC cards is the Radeon 5570. You can go on over there and check out their review, which has more info than you'll probably need/want.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakerx /forum/post/20842226

Anandtech.com, who I'm willing to believe, claims that the king of HTPC cards is the Radeon 5570. You can go on over there and check out their review, which has more info than you'll probably need/want.
Read this AnandTech article. It goes through some popular gpu's and lists the pros and cons of each. Very good read. There is no clear winner, just a "what works best for your usage" kind of conclusion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.