AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that Samsung has new models with 1366 X 768 resolution. It seems puzzling, at least to a newbie, that new models would be less than 1080p.

Since I'm thinking about purchasing an LCD, it would be helpful to understand what this is.

Thanks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
yeah, 1366x768 is 720p. I believe they use the strange numbers because it's cheaper to make than an exact 1280x720 panel.

Not all new LCDs are 1080p purely because of cost, and even then, it's usually only the larger model that display 1080p. 720p is just fine for a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiot /forum/post/0

yeah, 1366x768 is 720p. I believe they use the strange numbers because it's cheaper to make than an exact 1280x720 panel.

Not all new LCDs are 1080p purely because of cost, and even then, it's usually only the larger model that display 1080p. 720p is just fine for a lot of people.

Huh?? 1368x768 is 768p NOT 720p. May be close to 720p, but she ain't. Any incoming source will be scaled to fit the tv's resolution (768p in this case).

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
And even calling 1366x768p as '768p' isn't completely satisfactory, as some TVs are 1024x768p, usually Plasmas, they are also '768p'. I don't know why they just aren't advertised as the 'resolution' and either 'p' or 'i'. To their credit, I see the resolutions listed at one retail store, but then it also labels such TVs as '720p', sort of like a translation for the actual resolution, go figure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the helpful information. It just seemed puzzling at first that they weren't making all new models at the 1080p resolution, but it makes sense that the market is getting segmented and that there are two different resolutions for two different needs.

After reading a lot of the excellent information, I can't see why I would buy HDTV at this point. For me, using a digital cable signal and SDTV looks pretty good and I just don't see that much high def content (for what I watch at any rate). At the same time, it seems HDTV fed a non-HD signal, might not look as good (I'd have to check that at the store though).

I think most all of the sets PQ look great with HD content. If that is all there was out here, the decision would be easy.... I also love the slim profile look of the sets themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.