AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Mitsubishi 65737 DLP 3d TV. I am generally dissatisfied with it, particularly for 3d, and am looking to upgrade. Based on 3d alone, what would be the best large screen TV to purchase? I am considering the Samsung 58C7000 or 8000 depending on prices when I buy, but have read about cross talk issues, even though I thought plasma's did not have this problem. If I were to get a Samsung I assume best time is when the newer model 3d glasses come out that fixes current issues?

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfetaz /forum/post/0

I currently have a Mitsubishi 65737 DLP 3d TV. I am generally dissatisfied with it, particularly for 3d, and am looking to upgrade. Based on 3d alone, what would be the best large screen TV to purchase? I am considering the Samsung 58C7000 or 8000 depending on prices when I buy, but have read about cross talk issues, even though I thought plasma's did not have this problem. If I were to get a Samsung I assume best time is when the newer model 3d glasses come out that fixes current issues?

I am curious about why u r dissatisfied with it? There is a small amount of crosstalk associated with Plasma. I have a PN63C8000 and 3D is generally excellent. Be warned though, if u r used to zero crosstalk then even a little bit might bother you. The PQ is fantastic with this TV. You definitely won't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
To expand just a bit about crosstalk on Plasma. 90% of the time there is zero. 10% of the time you can see a small amount around certain objects. Overall it's really excellent and depends on the content. Some video games you'll see none and some have a little more. Movies r the same way.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm confused how you could be dissatisfied with 3D on that Mitsubishi. What glasses are you using? I just got some RealD CrystalEyes 5 for my 73837 and it's fantastic. The 3D is just like I'm at the theater when I saw Avatar. They're a bit more expensive but worth it. I'd check out those before wasting money on a new TV when you can get amazing 3D with what you have. Here's a thread I made on them.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1292165

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
the panasonic 3d plasmas are the best.

right adjust(dynamic mode for 3d) it was not that dim but in max. picture

brightnes other displays are may a bit better.

all in all the panasonic are the best by far.

i have at home a samsung 55" from the 8 series together with a 65" pana plasma.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ive tried the samsungs, sony, leds. all have major crosstalk. getting the panasonic vt25 was like a new life for 3d. 0 crosstalk or at least way less then any of the competitors.

also based on all cinephiles ive spoken to, 3d is best on viera

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
If you would like to watch YouTube 3D videos and you don't mind hooking up your computer to your 3DTV then Samsung is the only way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer /forum/post/0

all in all the panasonic are the best by far.

i have at home a samsung 55" from the 8 series together with a 65" pana plasma.

W., how did you come to have a PN55C8000 and a TC-65VT25 in your home? (Wow!) Are you trying them out with intent to return one? I would value your assessment, as I am planning on buying 2 plasmas within the week. (2 Sammies or 2 Pannies). Thanks in advance! -Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/0

If you would like to watch YouTube 3D videos and you don't mind hooking up your computer to your 3DTV then Samsung is the only way to go.

Frank,

Why is Samsung better for this?

Scott

·
Banned
2,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor /forum/post/19601260

I'm confused how you could be dissatisfied with 3D on that Mitsubishi. What glasses are you using? I just got some RealD CrystalEyes 5 for my 73837 and it's fantastic. The 3D is just like I'm at the theater when I saw Avatar. They're a bit more expensive but worth it. I'd check out those before wasting money on a new TV when you can get amazing 3D with what you have. Here's a thread I made on them.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1292165

I find it rather amazing that consumers are unable to figure out the DLP cut a cost corner many years ago to reduce the micro-mirror count. It called wobulation, a technique which slightly offsets the same mirror within the same frame, to draw two lines.

So there is no time or mirrors left for Blu-ray 3D, where each stream has a native resolution of 1920*1080. So what does DLP sacrifice?

Image quality! as half the data is tossed.

Then add in the mandatory overscan (just try to display a computer desktop on it
).

Then there is the high gain screen which varies drastically with viewing angle.

Then the poor black levels...

Finally there is cheap optics, which make the picture blurry.

Did I forget the always breaking down color wheel and expensive bulb?

Does the big plastic box boom with the bass?

Now go post these tidbits over in the rear projector forum (and run for your life)
!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalbi
W., how did you come to have a PN55C8000 and a TC-65VT25 in your home? (Wow!) Are you trying them out with intent to return one? I would value your assessment, as I am planning on buying 2 plasmas within the week. (2 Sammies or 2 Pannies). Thanks in advance! -Scott
i buy the first 55" 3d samsung because i need for a place that have much sunlight a tv with high brightnes.

the dealer that show me side by side the panasonic plasma and the samsung runs this time

the plasma in normal mode and not in dynamic mode.

so the plasma was very dim and i buy the samsung.

one month later i saw them again side by side but this time the pansonic

runs in dynamic mode and it show a much brighter 3d picture.

than i buy the panasonic as i need a secound tv anyway for a other room.

i than compare both in my room all adjust very good and the result is

that the panasonc 3d plasma have the far better picture quality

in 2d and 3d.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wanna replace the mitsubishi do 2 some performance issues and some defects with my unit. Since amazon might refund my tv i figure once the 58pnc8000 or 55 vt25 gets around 1800 or a good price with glasses comes around that its worth the upgrade.

My biggest complaint about the 3 d on the mitsubishi was problems with eye strain and lack of depth. Then recently I put my ir glasses on reverse instead of standard and the 3 d is a lot better with almost no eyestrain. It's funny how he even though I have it on reverse on my tv, when using my computer I still have to send the tv L/R signal to get the better 3 d effect. i thought l/r is standard and ir is standard so why am i getting better results backwards? Once i get a battery key for my xpand 102 i will do more testing. Fyi all my friends agree reverse is better.

·
Registered
87 Posts

sfetaz;19607203 i thought l/r is standard and ir is standard so why am i getting better results backwards? Once i get a battery key for my xpand 102 i will do more testing. Fyi all my friends agree reverse is better.[/QUOTE said:
You MUST have this TV in Reverse setting for 3D if you are using the Samsung / Mitsubishi glasses. The the 3D should look excellent.

--Chris

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalbi
Frank,

Scott
You are referring to my statement about Samsung being best for watching YouTube videos in 3D.

The reason is because a computer desktop displayed at 1920 by 1080 on a Samsung 3DTV with the TV in checkerboard mode looks just like it does in normal 2D mode.

This allows you to browse to youtube and watch videos the way you do on any computer monitor but in 3D if they are available that way. All you have to do is put on your 3D glasses.

This is not possible with a Panasonic or a Sony or most other brands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
...a computer desktop displayed at 1920 by 1080 on a Samsung 3DTV with the TV in checkerboard mode looks just like it does in normal 2D mode.

This allows you to browse to youtube and watch videos the way you do on any computer monitor but in 3D if they are available that way. All you have to do is put on your 3D glasses.

This is not possible with a Panasonic or a Sony or most other brands.
This is awesome! Thank you for the info.

Sort of related question (wife's question): Is it possible to watch a movie in 3D a non-3D plasma set (Samsung C6300 or Panasonic G20, for examples) if played/converted/processed on a 3D-capable Blu-Ray player? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalbi /forum/post/19607687

This is awesome! Thank you for the info.

Sort of related question (wife's question): Is it possible to watch a movie in 3D a non-3D plasma set (Samsung C6300 or Panasonic G20, for examples) if played/converted/processed on a 3D-capable Blu-Ray player? Thanks in advance!

Not that I know of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Frank,

Back in June, in another thread,
simple test for 3D crosstalk , you said "I played around with my video settings on the Panasonic and got substantially less crosstalk". After many weeks, I'm still struggling between purchasing the Samsung and Panasonic plasmas. Have you since found 3D crosstalk on Samsung CX000 plasmas to be at least acceptable to your standards?

Muchos gracias,

Scott

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalbi /forum/post/19606677

Frank,

Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalbi /forum/post/19608093

Frank,

Back in June, in another thread,
simple test for 3D crosstalk , you said "I played around with my video settings on the Panasonic and got substantially less crosstalk". After many weeks, I'm still struggling between purchasing the Samsung and Panasonic plasmas. Have you since found 3D crosstalk on Samsung CX000 plasmas to be at least acceptable to your standards?

Muchos gracias,

Scott

Believe me, I would love to have a Samsung 3D plasma for evaluation.

However, there are none within 160 miles.

I do own two UN-40C7000's that I use as computer monitors and I absolutely love them.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Since this topic is already open I figure that I would throw out my situation as well. Right now I'm going between the Samsung 58 inch (either the 7000 or the 8000 depending on the price) or the Panasonic 54 inch VT25. I've talked the wife into a budget of roughly $2000 (which, considering they have 50+ inch TV's for well under $1000 at Walmart, was no easy task) and don't want to push over that point too much. The best deal at the moment for me would be the VT25, which would set me back $1900 and includes player and two pairs of glasses. Still though, that extra 4 inches is tempting! What would you all do?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts