• Cable Co. equipment

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Lol, watchign TV is for dinosaurs

Votes: 11 11.1%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't need to use Windows 10 on my HTPC so I'll keep using WMC on Windows 7 until something better comes along (HDHR DVR maybe)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't need to use Windows 10 on my HTPC so I'll keep using WMC on Windows 7 until something better comes along (HDHR DVR maybe)
I added a poll, I was half paying attention when I posted the thread (even double posted - what a noob).

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
If the reviews are good for the SD HDHR DVD software, I'll probably go all-in on that.

I've been mulling over migrating from my server to a normal NAS so that might be the the right time. I might actually retire the HTPC too and just go to Android devices at every TV. Staying within my home network I don't think I'll have any need to transcode so hopefully I can go with something like Plex or Emby (I still hate that name) running on the NAS too. I can manage it all from my workstation (pretty much how I do now)

The big question mark for me will be what playback devices to use. If the Kodi plugin happens then I'll probably go with some flavor of OpenElec runiing on a decent low-powered device. If that doesn't happen and I need to go with AndroidTV, then I'm not really sure. Is that something you can run on your own hardware. or will I need to buy some sort of commercial box for that? (I can live with that, but I'd rather roll my own if possible)

If SD doesn't deliver, then I guess I'll ride out WMC until it ceases to be a viable solution and either buy a bunch of TiVos or go back to renting DVR's from the cable co.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The golden rule of HTPC still applies here. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't tinker with it, don't touch it. I'll wait until WMC stops providing guide data. At that time I hope I can change my answer to LOL, TV is for dinosaurs.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that something you can run on your own hardware. or will I need to buy some sort of commercial box for that? (I can live with that, but I'd rather roll my own if possible)
Can't roll out your own ATM. You won't be able to in an official capacity - if the community eventually finds a way to, who knows what (if any) pitfalls it would have (in terms of DRM etc). I don't think it's gonna be a viable option.

So you'll need to buy a box (and buy a box that supports native MPEG2 decoding or can verify-ably SW decode without issue).

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
Can't roll out your own ATM. You won't be able to in an official capacity - if the community eventually finds a way to, who knows what (if any) pitfalls it would have (in terms of DRM etc). I don't think it's gonna be a viable option.

So you'll need to buy a box (and buy a box that supports native MPEG2 decoding or can verify-ably SW decode without issue).
I'm still holding out hope that SD will also eventually deliver a CC tuner that supports on-the-fly transcoding to H.264 (Hey I can dream) If that happens then for all intents and purposes I assume pretty much any AndroidTV box will work. I'm tempted to start doing some research on this (as you can tell I've done very little in this avenue) but I also have other projects to finish this evening and I know once I fall down the AndroidTV rabbit hole, I'll still be sitting here at 4:00am trying to figure out which box has the best feature set.

Reactions: billmich

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, a transcoding CC would solve a bunch of issues with the Android TV market/offerings. The thing about Android TV ATM - it's still so new/immature - there really isn't too much to research. That could be a good or bad thing, lol. It is promising though.

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
Yeah, a transcoding CC would solve a bunch of issues with the Android TV market/offerings. The thing about Android TV ATM - it's still so new/immature - there really isn't too much to research. That could be a good or bad thing, lol. It is promising though.
Yeah, I did a little looking several months ago when word first started to trickle out that it would have support for PlayReady and everyone (or maybe it was just me) got excited about the potential of another platform that could support protected content. At that point I don't think there were even any devices out yet at all.

Of course I'll also have to look into compatible NAS offerings and all of that fun stuff too.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well the transcoding Prime was announced in 2013 and then fell off the face of the Earth, so maybe they'll resurrect it for their DVR

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the transcoding Prime was announced in 2013 and then fell off the face of the Earth, so maybe they'll resurrect it for their DVR
Yeah it would make lots of sense to. However things that make a lot of sense don't always come to fruition for one reason or another.

I do think though, that if they do decide to push forward with it, it will take a backseat to the software and getting it out the door and polishing it up and all that. So, I just wouldn't expect news on that front anytime soon.

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
Yeah it would make lots of sense to. However things that make a lot of sense don't always come to fruition for one reason or another.

I do think though, that if they do decide to push forward with it, it will take a backseat to the software and getting it out the door and polishing it up and all that. So, I just wouldn't expect news on that front anytime soon.
Yeah, I think it's reasonable to conclude that they aren't just sitting on a warehouse full of working products that they didn't want to release until 2015. They must have run into one problem or another that prevented them from releasing it already. that's not to say that whatever it is couldn't be overcome now, but realistically I'm not banking on it. (but still hoping for it)

·
Registered
110 Posts
The origin of this thread is "So, what is everyone planning for the future w/ TV?" Therein in the name is the answer; "TV" is literally "television", a compound word made up of "tele" (meaning, "across a distance"), and vision (to see, and in this case, also hear). TV to me, is OTA ("over-the-air") broadcasts on unencrypted signals; advertiser supported programming, which was THE model for broadcasting for decades. Anything other than free, over the airwaves programming is paid, subscriber-based content media, (such as cable, satellite, and other closed system services), and not "TV" to me. For free to air programming, I don't mind the ads, as long as the non-ad content is superb, and the advertising time doesn't constitute more than about one fourth to one third of the total airtime, because I get it that the advertisers are paying the producers of the content (the writers, actors, and all personnel) to do their art, and in return, the financiers get to promote their product to consumers.

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
Okay so after a very very limited amount of research (looking at the kickstarter page again, and reading the Nvidia shield thread here, that I forgot I had already participated in) My dream scenario in 12 months would look something like this:

1 SiliconDust 6-Tuner CC transcoding tuner (yeah, I know that's wishful thinking.. I said it was my dream list)
1 QNAP 8 bay NAS
4 NVidia Shield consoles.

Anybody want to buy some gently used XBox 360 Slims? lol.

One other question while I'm thinking about it. Do the AndroidTV devices include the Google Play Store or no? I'm assuming not since I've heard mention of sideloading apps on them, but if they did that would be pretty pretty awesome. If I could get an NES/SNES emulator on those things (working with the game controller) to go along with the DVR app and Emby/Plex that would pretty much make this thing my ideal home entertainment widget.

I'm trying not to get too excited about this SD software, but I'm having a hard time fighting it.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I'll just be holding out with WMC for (hopefully, assuming the guide data is okay for that long) 2-3 years, and hopefully be able to reevaluate then.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Never paid for cable tv so can't cut the cord.

Is there anything good on TV?.

I think I know people who subscribe to cable... sometimes I watch it in hotels when I travel and seems nothing is ever on anyway.

I sometimes use Kodi ... is that one of the options?... There's a lot of TV shows you can watch with that. For example, With the free NBC Sports Extra plugin, I watched a lot of NFL last year including the simulcast of the SuperBowl. There's also plugins for stuff like Disney channel and PBS Kids that my kids use.

*(I voted TV is for Dinos.)

=Brian

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
One other question while I'm thinking about it. Do the AndroidTV devices include the Google Play Store or no? I'm assuming not since I've heard mention of sideloading apps on them, but if they did that would be pretty pretty awesome. If I could get an NES/SNES emulator on those things (working with the game controller) to go along with the DVR app and Emby/Plex that would pretty much make this thing my ideal home entertainment widget.

I'm trying not to get too excited about this SD software, but I'm having a hard time fighting it.
Yes, they include the Google Play Store; but it's a curated version specifically for Android TV. I personally don't know how they're gonna support a full blown/with 'full amount' of apps - store; because the layout/navigation of the 'TV Store' doesn't easily lend itself to simple navigation or discovery with a ****-ton of apps. So, we'll see on that. Also, there are Android TV compatible apps that don't show up in the 'TV version' of the store - but are still fully compatible with Android TV. You just install it to your Android TV device from your browser. It's extremely simple enough (just hit the install button when on the app page in your desktop web browser, and select your Android TV device). Right now, I'm subscribed to a G+ group where one of the mods keeps track of and posts every new Android TV compatible app that was/is released; to keep track of what's available to me. With the immaturity of the ecosystem at this time, this is the best bet IMO - as all the apps I want - I simply install them as they show up/get listed in the group (there is a way to see every Android TV compatible app on the Android TV device itself - but I like my solution better). The apps are then in my download/install history if I ever need to install them again (which I can just hit 'Install>Android TV device' from the browser version of the Play Store).

There are already NES and SNES emulators for Android TV, along with Plex and EMBY; which you can all use at this very moment just FYI :p

Really, it's some more of the big name/cable channel apps we users are still waiting on. HBO GO or Now/Showtime Anytime/etc. They showed a Showtime Anytime app in promotional demos a while ago; so we know it's coming - just a matter of when (and that's the general consensus for the other missing apps ATM - it's Android/Google - it's a matter of 'when' not 'if' these apps will show up). In the meantime - Android TV devices have full GoogleCast support - so if any of the missing apps have GoogleCast/Chromecast capability - you can just use your android TV device as a Chromecast (to put it simply) to use/watch the missing app(s).

There's also sideloading apps (that you can then use with a mouse) that aren't yet 'compatible' with the Android TV platform - but this isn't an optimal/worth your time solution - so that's all I'm gonna say about that (mentioned it out of fairness though).

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'll probably stick with WMC on Windows 7 until I'm forced to change if guide data goes away. I've got too much time and money invested in the ecosystem right now to change, and my wife and kids are happy and comfortable with the set up we have. I also have too many other things to do right now (work, home server/network config, home improvement, yard maintenance, restarting an inactive professional association, etc.) to start trying to figure out a new system. That said, I like what SiliconDust is trying to do, and may contribute to the Kickstarter.

[edit] Of course I say that and I'll probably be chomping at the bit to try out the HDHomeRun software this fall.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[edit] Of course I say that and I'll probably be chomping at the bit to try out the HDHomeRun software this fall.
The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

If being in the HTPC game hasn't taught you at least that much, you haven't been paying attention :D :p

1 - 20 of 38 Posts