AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rented Alexander and Upside to Anger for the weekend...Hopefully I will get some entertaining value out of these movies. Oh yea and the Panthers play Saturday night...wooohoo.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Well going to watch stargate Sg1 and atlantis tonight. And tommorow I might watch ghostbusters 2 on DVD or the wrath of KHan on laserdisc.

I hope to be getting starwars phantom on laser soon from japan. I've heard the audio is amazing for an LD

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Le Notte Bianche from Netflix, and probably some episodes of McCloud or McMillan & Wife and maybe one or two from Dark Shadows

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Danny the Dog a.k.a. Unleashed. ---just recieved my Region 3 copy today and 3 O'clock High from Netflix. I haven't seen that since the Eighties.

·
Registered
28,321 Posts
BSG! The PGA in HD (thanks CBS). Alien in D-Theater. And (sorry Lenny), not the meaningless, glorified scrimmage the Panthers will be hosting against the Deadskins on Saturday night. I happily gave my tickets to others who don't seem to care about the utter pointlessness of preseason games. :cool: ;)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The Boatniks

Oh Hevenly Dog

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
James Ivory's "Autobiography of a Princess" - laserdisc which I picked up at a local store for $.92 !

htomei

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Wached wrath of khan last night great movie. If your a ST fan anyway.

I might watch HITCH after work today

Or alexander directors cut

So many chosies its hard do I watch a new movie like hitch,alexander or watch a classic like star wars. I haven't seen the IV-VI in a few months. But every time I start star wars I always am reminded of empire and jedi then I gotta watch the whole thing.

I'm going to get sin city and simpsons on tusday I've seen simpsons but for the price and the cool new box you can't go wrong.

....or I could watch another trek film I've just got 1-9 on LD. Never seen them before so I've been into that. So far I've seen wrath of khan,generations,inserection,nemises(DVD),first contact, undicoverd contry

Also seen sin city but I'd like to get that to hope it looks good in theaters it looked great, sound was bad at that theater so I'm goping to use it on mine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi,

I watched " Racing Stripes " tonight, it was my second viewing of it, I just love those flies. A good laugh.

I am going to watch my Laserdisc of " Those Daring young men in their Jaunty Jalopies " tomorrow night.

Regards

Juz

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpolo
Primer

Hope it's as good as everyone says.
Primer is great. Another example of good storytelling making special effects and big-name stars unneccesary.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
BSG! The PGA in HD (thanks CBS). Alien in D-Theater. And (sorry Lenny), not the meaningless, glorified scrimmage the Panthers will be hosting against the Deadskins on Saturday night. I happily gave my tickets to others who don't seem to care about the utter pointlessness of preseason games. :cool: ;)

Yea, preseason games are meaningless but still fun to check out to see what the rookies can do. Besides it's been almost a year since we seen our starters due to injuries. :D

Watched Alexander last night, it was ok..not as Epic as I hoped.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The Dukes Of Hazard at the theater, and on the home theater-

The Cosby Show Season One

Planet Of The Apes 35th Anniversary SE

John Carpenter's The Fog

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Alien in HD.. :eek: Oh, man.. I'd like to get a DVHS player, but I know it's living on borrowed time.. :(

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The L-Word. Just finished season 1, and those whacky *******'ll shag anything in sight. Seriously though, this series totally sucked me in, particularly the Kirshner character and the tennis star. Recommended (for mature viewers).

Birth. Nicole gave one of her better performances in this I thought, but the story crawled along at a snail's pace. A good one for Kidman completists, but not for those with short attention spans, or weak bladders.

The Mummy (1959). Peter Cushing, Chris Lee and Yvonne Furneaux in one of Hammer's true classics. If you haven't dug this ancient relic up on DVD yet, I highly recommend grabbing your shovel and getting to work. Better still, unearth the Warner Hammer Horror boxset.

·
Registered
912 Posts
"...the utter pointlessness of preseason games..."

I used to think the same way, but as funny as it sounds - after I bought a used copy of Madden 2005 (PS2 ver, for less than 9 clams!), and have been playing "franchise" mode for a month - I realize now that preseason is good for 1) getting the team back into the swing of things, 2) giving management a good "look-see" at the rookies, to see who are the "keepers", 3) gives management a chance to evaluate each player to see who will start, if there are multiple players who look promising for certain positions, and 4) give the rookies a chance to get valuable "hands on" experience with the various formations and play action audibles against some real opposition.

Sheesh - I never used to be such a fanatic as far as the internal workings of the sport, and it's funny how a PS2 game made me think differently!:D

But oh yeah, back to the thread question...

Mostly my wife and daughter hogged the big screen, but I put my foot down when the Niners-Raiders game came on. Preseason or not, this game defines who gets the bragging rights for the year in the Bay Area! Fox and CBS had HD feeds, but Fox seemed to be feeding a SD 4:3 signal, which was okay by me since Fox was broadcasting a Raiders-oriented game and I'm a Niners fan!;) CBS had a decent 16:9 HD "red and gold" broadcast...

·
Registered
28,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
Alien in HD.. :eek: Oh, man.. I'd like to get a DVHS player, but I know it's living on borrowed time.. :(
Not really. How long will it be before HD-optical is something more than vaporware? Another year? More? Who will come out on top since they seem to be determined to repeat the VHS/Beta fiasco? And how long 'till they're affordable (no $1k machines for me)?

D-VHS is here right now and I enjoy mine on a regular basis. It works flawlessly. In addition to recording/playback of HD material, it also digitizes SD content with no loss of quality and the ability to get 12 hours of material on a single S-VHS tape.

There will always be a need for a good VCR and the D-VHS machines made by JVC are the very best consumer grade VCR's made. Borrowed time? Not hardly.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juz
I am going to watch my Laserdisc of " Those Daring young men in their Jaunty Jalopies " tomorrow night.
They really need to get this title on DVD.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.