AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard on the regular TV news that TIVO is going to disallow fast forwarding through

commercials, which is %50 of the value of the machine to me. One of my friends with

an HD-TIVO says to leave the thing unconnected to the phone line to prevent it

from updating, but I notice that the TIVO seems to get plenty of information from the

DirectTV satellite.

So whats the deal ? Is Tivo going to eliminate fast forward? Thats half of what I bought

this for.

Note that this is NOT about getting satellite TV free, or anything else nefarious. Its about

TIVO getting rid of a capability that I paid for ($1000 in fact).

·
Registered
631 Posts
TiVo is not eliminating FF AFAIK. They are adding the ability for advertisers to embed a "banner ad" which will overlay the video when you FF through their commercials (much like the current TiVoMatic "Press Thumbs Up To Learn More" technology). Responses range from "OMFG It's the end of the world as we know it and TiVo suxors" to "meh". I'm very much on the "meh" end. I don't care if they want to try to capture my attention some other way, if I don't need their product I don't watch their commercials.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike
TiVo is not eliminating FF AFAIK. They are adding the ability for advertisers to embed a "banner ad" which will overlay the video when you FF through their commercials (much like the current TiVoMatic "Press Thumbs Up To Learn More" technology). Responses range from "OMFG It's the end of the world as we know it and TiVo suxors" to "meh". I'm very much on the "meh" end. I don't care if they want to try to capture my attention some other way, if I don't need their product I don't watch their commercials.
Yea, I would be ok with that. I did some searches, apparently it is normal to announce that

Tivo is eliminating commercial skips every 6 months or so :)

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
the hd tivo does get all it's guide and software updates through the sat.

but it does require the phone line to be connected to enable the software updates to be installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.