AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Z5 in its early stages (less than 200 hours). In my opinion, the brightness looks fine (bat cave) and the colors look great off my light brown/taupe wall. I am having a really hard time dropping any coins on a screen other than for looks. Goo paint? I just don't see the need. What am I missing?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Well a wall is ok. Definately paint it flat white though and black where you are not projecting the image on.

A professional screen with an optical coating will take it to the next level

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am no expert or even a novice, but I am projecting onto a DIY screen that is in the works(Used the wall for awhile), and it just seems to make the colors richer and doesn't wash out the image as much in ambient light.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Why not give it a try? For under 50 bucks you will know for sure. With the Z5 I would get rid of the light brown wall and as a first step do just as Tryg suggested and go white. I would use Kilz2 primer and see what you think. If you are bat cave dark and that is the lighting you prefer then you might not want to do much more. If you find some deficiency (you didn't mention screen size) you may want to play a little more. One of the biggest drawbacks to the painted wall is if the wall has texture or blemishes.

Thanks for the comment also.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 /forum/post/0

Why not give it a try? For under 50 bucks you will know for sure. With the Z5 I would get rid of the light brown wall and as a first step do just as Tryg suggested and go white. I would use Kilz2 primer and see what you think. If you are bat cave dark and that is the lighting you prefer then you might not want to do much more. If you find some deficiency (you didn't mention screen size) you may want to play a little more. One of the biggest drawbacks to the painted wall is if the wall has texture or blemishes.

Thanks for the comment also.

I may give Kilz2 a try. I bet I will only need one gallon so I should be able to do this for under $30. I guess I can just throw up the picture and tape it off. If I dont' like it I can just paint the wall back to its original color. I am projecting about a 112" picture from a table mount.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
In terms of gain, if you are going to use paint on a "real screen" such as on top of blackout cloth on a frame, the paint will deliver the same gain when put on a wall.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40xbr700_Owner /forum/post/0

I've got a Z5 in its early stages (less than 200 hours). In my opinion, the brightness looks fine (bat cave) and the colors look great off my light brown/taupe wall. I am having a really hard time dropping any coins on a screen other than for looks. Goo paint? I just don't see the need. What am I missing?

For an easy test - do what I did. Put a piece of white paper up on the light brown wall - preferably a large one.

Watch your favorite movie and notice what the white does compared to the brown. My guess is that it will have you running to the paint store, for the cheapest HT upgrade you ever dreamed of - white paint

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I taped off my 120 inch picture and painted the area with Kilz2 this morning. All I have to say is WOW!! I pained half the screen and my wife and I watched some HD. The whites went from pale yellow to very white. The blues and greens really pop now. It's amazing how the brain gets use to something. I thought my wall with a off brown color was fine. Boy was I wrong.

One last request. What black material can I use to outline the white paint? I want a black border.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.