AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after the feedback from everyone here (thank guys, you knwo who you are!), I decided to buy an HK avr 520. Now that I have iot set up for 5.1 audio, I realize I can do 2 more thigns with it:

A) Set it up for 7.1 channel by putting another amp and 2 speakers

B) Set it up for multiroom by getting another amp and 2 speakers.

So here comes my questions:

1- First should I do 7.1? or should i do multiroom? Lets assume both options equally fit my needs. My dilema is, is there really alot of stuff out there that can uses dts-es? And if so, is the difference in sound worth forfeting having multi-room?

2-Second, for eitehr scenario, what is a good amp and speakers to buy for my existing system (which is basically the HK avr-520 receiver and the HK hk-ts6 speaker set.)

Please, also note I do nto have ALOT of money to spend (i allready spent 450 on this audio set up so budget is tight).

thanks

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If you want more power I recommend the H/K Signature 2.1 (100 X 5) for $688 at harmanaudio.com (specials). Speakers are a very personal thing because so many things have to be taken into account, including wife-acceptance-factor (WAF) in many cases. Only you can decide how big, what color, how much to pay, not to mention what you like in sound quality. For a start I suggest you check the reviews at cheaphometheater.com for some good affordable speaker sets.

As for you concerns about 7.1, surround sound in just 5.1 is plenty enjoyable, and I suspect you will get more use out of the second room audio, but that too is a personal decision.

Dsmith

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks smith:

Is not that I want more power, its that the avr 520 (if I am not mistaken) REQUIRERS an AMP to either do 7.1 or Multi Room. Yet, as far as I am concerned, the power on the current set up is more than my wife and baby can handle :)

If I coul still get multi room or 7.1 without having to add anything else, or the least expensive alternative.. i would be golden.

Anyways, thanks for the response :)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Any cheap amp should be fine. I'd look at used Rotel, NAD or H/K on eBay.

And 7.1 is worthwhile.

The problem is the way the AVR520 implements it.

From memory, you can only use 7.1 on two channels sources such as CD and cable, using Logic 7 and DPL2.

I don't think it is possible to get 7.1 surround out of DD or DTS sources. You may want to check the manual just to be sure.

Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as far as what i have read, I cant do dolby digital ex (7.1), but i can do DTS ES (7.1), hey it even has the DTS-ES logo on it :)

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
ricard, the Sign. 2.1 can be used for the 7.1 setup or the second room as well as any other amp, though it is somewhat of an overkill in terms of power. For multiroom use you could use the three other channels to drive speakers in other rooms, or even outside. For 7 channel HT, you could take advantage of the added power by using three of the channels for your LCR and the other two for the two rear surrounds, leaving your receiver to handle just the side surrounds. So you have considerable flexibility beyond just a two channel amp, as well as better sound IMO. If you want to just go cheap for now, any old stereo receiver that has main-inputs can be used as a separate amp. The 70 watts/ch HK 3370-Z at harmanaudio.com (specials) is available with full warranty for $147 and has the required amp input, and can always be used as a separate 2 channel receiver.

Dsmith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.