AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been holding out hope that my beloved quadscan would indeed work.

Broke the subject to wife today that it might not:

"you mean you want to spend more money on another piece of equipment after you've waited over a year for that stupid lens" (note: use of stupid was by my wife, please don't pull my post! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif )

So, I think moving to another scaler is a hard sell. I've thought about HTPC more than once, but it seems too hard to get to work simply and reliably by the incredible amount of info that they have over in the HTPC forum.

so my simple question to you all:

What are YOU going to use to allow you to use the panamorph lens?

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I am going to use my HTPC. The HTPC route hasn't been bad at all for me.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I'll be using an HTPC for DVD, an HDD200 for other NTSC sources, and my VT540 for HD sources.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
719 Posts
HTPC for all sources. Wayne is building the PC.

------------------

Jeff Streitz

Iowa City, IA

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
HTPC.

Don't be put off by all the Radeon related tweaking. A Geforce based HTPC is pretty easy. Also, a pre-built HTPC from AVS or Digital connection really is pretty much plug and play. Most of the tweaking is either done by those who build their own HTPC's, or by those who prefer to be as bleeding edge as possible.

- Dave

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Projector http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

I'm going to see if the D-ILA internal scaler is up to the task. I am not going to change anything at first (even though I do use an HTPC) except to stretch the images at the projector, and let the 'Morph squish 'em back.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will look as good as I envision...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
HTPC for DVD, NTSC, Dish Satellite;

I go direct from the Dish 6000 for HDTV; both Satellite and OTA; I guess officially the Dish 6000 scales this, but for HDTV what scaling is done at all?

Anyway, HTPC (airboard keyboard) coupled with a Pronto and Dilard's automation files create a one touch operation for me.

ken

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use a CrystalImage with an ISCO I. I am sure it will work with the Panamorph.

------------------

Jim Nissen

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeffry:

Who is wayne?

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
HTPC. It is daunting at first, but once tweaked the way you like it, it should stay that way. And boy is it worth it!

PAP - I think he's referring to xcel. He built mine too. Great job!

Carey

------------------

My forever in-progress Home Theatre

·
Registered
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PAP:
Jeffry:

Who is wayne?

The Wayne to which I am refering is a.k.a. Excel, one of the moderators of the HTPC area of the AVS Forum. He doesn't advertise that he builds HTPCs due to the fact that AVS is also a dealer of HTPCs. His knowledge is very up-to-date. I am hoping to take delivery of my HTPC in the next week or so.

------------------

Jeff Streitz

Iowa City, IA

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Gimmie a H...

Gimmie a T...

Gimmie a P...

Gimmie a C...

You get the picture http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif !!! This will easily (and with far more flexibility) handle SDTV + DVD inputs at any output...

The reason you see so many posts is that there is so much that can be done and so many ways of doing it... Steer clear of the bleeding edge (don't load every new driver immediately on release) and they are tameable beasts...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by milori:
Projector http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .
Interesting. That probably would be the easiest thing to do. However, you would be giving up something, in theory, with anamorphic DVD's. Playing an anamorphic DVD your way would have the projector scaling more vertically than it would if you sent the projector the "tall skinny" output of the anamorphic DVD. But, whether or not the loss in resolution would be noticable is another story. Worth a try...

- Dave

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I'd just like to add that my reason for using an HDD200 for non-DVD sources is not because it is superior to an HTPC. Rather, it frees my best PC for surfing while I watch TV. If I plan to watch a movie, I don't surf, so it can be tied up in that case.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Got mine from Wayne a couple weeks ago and I'm thrilled with it. I approched him about having one done without knowing that he did em. I think mine was one of his first specifically for a D-ILA. I'm happy.

Larry

------------------

G1000 D-ILA

Lexicon MC1 7.1 system

Radeon Based HTPC

NHT, velodyne & bag end speaker systems

Panasonic, Dish, HDTV recording setup.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'm hoping to do all the scaling with the Radeon VE/Powerstrip and the image tweaking by using Dilard.

Still haven't been able to get 1360 x 1024 with out the VD(virtual desktop), but I'm not done fighting yet!

If it doesn't work out, it's back to the GeForce. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Chris

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.