AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S /forum/post/18137423

Can we compile what we know, and don't know, about this issue in this thread?

I don't hear anything abnormal on my SE, either via HDMI or analog.

Whats the matter, the public thread doesn't have enough info?

From Neuromancer
Quote:
Potentially speaking, depending on the listening environment, speakers, and volume you have your equipment set to, you may never hear the error between audio tracks.

Specific discs may also more easily produce the error due to the tracks being continuous, a major crescendo occurring before or after the track, or other "oddity" which makes referencing the error easier.

We have been dealing with this for almost a year. Go reference the older EAP thread where people were arguing the same exact thing you you are talking about today.

This is not a new issue, this is not an issue which hasn't been properly documented or discussed.

The reason why OPPO would want your specific discs is because these discs are known, within your system, to have easily discernible audio failures. It makes diagnosing the issue easier on their technical staff.

Secondarily, it is possible that specific units are more prone (or just enhance) this issue more than others. If this is the case, then OPPO can verify that your specific unit is working out of spec compared to their players. Obviously if they have a player which produces no issues (when used in a reference environment that should enact them) then they have discovered that your specific player is faulty and needs to be repaired to rectify the issue.

From Oppo
Quote:
We received your discs this morning and have verified the audio errors in-between SACD tracks with your supplied discs. We were able to confirm the minor clicks which occurred between SACD tracks in both a SACD DSD and PCM state, over HDMI and analog, and when using the BDP-83 or BDP-83SE.

As the minor clicks were observed on both BDP-83 and BDP-83SE test beds, we unfortunately will not be able to resolve your issues through a simple repair. This issue will have to be addressed through a firmware revision, which will unfortunately require major support from our decoder manufacturer. As we will need to involve engineers which are not under our direct control and supervision, we do not know when this issue will be resolved.

Although the errors are minor and required that we tuned our equipment to levels which we would normally not use for expended periods of listening, we understand that this issue is a major concern that prohibits you from enjoying the BDP-83. We are aggressively pursuing a resolution to this error.

As we have confirmed the errors and were able to purchase your discs for additional product testing, we will be returning your discs using USPS Priority Mail.

Peace,

OPPO Digital, Inc

That should answer your question.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John.

I stay out of the OPPO public threads, for sake of my own sanity

I have hundreds of SACDs, I don't recall any clicks. Can someone point me to a list of the offending discs?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV /forum/post/18137724

See if you notice anything against fatherom's list .

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/18138089

Not sure what you mean. I've never heard of any such problem.

Are you sure your in the right forum?

I assume you're being sarcastic. There are other forums out in the interwebs that are discussing this situation as well. Wading through all the stuff going on in the AVS public forums is treacherous. I was hoping we could get some inside information from Jason via the private beta, to assist with testing. After all, most of the BDP-80/83 playback issues have been resolved, or are minor. This one seems to stir up peoples' passions.

No one complains about glitchy BluTV playback. But, put a .1 second tic in their favorite SACD, and you'd think the folks at OPPO ....

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have never noticed this issue personally but I do have several of the SACD's that are indicated to exhibit the clicking problem between tracks and will refer to the thread that shows which tracks are affected and see what I find.

Chris

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S /forum/post/18138215

I assume you're being sarcastic. There are other forums out in the interwebs that are discussing this situation as well. Wading through all the stuff going on in the AVS public forums is treacherous. I was hoping we could get some inside information from Jason via the private beta, to assist with testing. After all, most of the BDP-80/83 playback issues have been resolved, or are minor. This one seems to stir up peoples' passions.

No one complains about glitchy BluTV playback. But, put a .1 second tic in their favorite SACD, and you'd think the folks at OPPO ....

Yes, that was sarcasm

In all seriousness though, I do not have this problem.

I suppose I may be able to find it if I put in some discs in and crank the volume to +20 and see what I may hear BETWEEN tracks

I already enjoy the playback of my SACDs, and not really looking to ruin the experience.

I'm always for helping, but I'm not sure this one is really necessary.

All of the complainers seem to be pretentious know-it-alls with nothing better left to do with their free time than go on a witch hunt against OPPO.

I'm also not sure how finding titles that exibit the behavior is really helping anyway.

I would tend to think that once they discover a handful of titles, that the "fix" would be the same for all.

Maybe someone can get an official word from Jason to see what he would like to see from us in any form of testing.

I wouldn't bother him today though... he may have a hangover from celebrating Chinese new year

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
Apparently now there is also a "rice krispies / clicking / popping" training course you can take if you do not hear or understand what is going on with this anomaly.

If by the end of the course you still can not hear the anomalies, you will be kicked out of the circle of insanity.

Quote:
smurraybhm - Did you download the mp3 that has examples (1st page of this thread). I only ask because I too thought I did not have this issue of a click between tracks until after I listened to that mp3 and trained my ear, turned the volume up quite a bit, and then listened to one of the exact track transitions that were listed (track 5 > track 6, Music For The Masses). Thanks!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Can we get certified in SACD RK detection? Something with snazzy initials like "SRKH" (SACD Rice Krispies Hearer)? I could put it in my work email sig with my other initials, but I'd need to do some serious studying since I've never reproduced the problem in the first place....

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer /forum/post/18154973

Actually, it is not.

I wish I could post this in the public threads, but all hell would break loose.

What else can you share with us? I haven't had the opportunity to check of of the discs listed on my machine.

I did have trouble with the 'relay-clicks' problem on my SE, but that was fixed a few firmwares ago.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer /forum/post/18154973

Actually, it is not.

I wish I could post this in the public threads, but all hell would break loose.

Doesn't this really fall in the hands of Mediatek?

If so, there's nothing OPPO can much do about it anyway.

Probably a question in poor taste, but are there clicks with the 983 and 980 players too?

I can easily imagine how it could go undetected for 3 years.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch57 /forum/post/18171323

Well... You can add the Gene Harris Quartet - Listen Here! to your list. It has pops between each and every track.

What's more interesting is that I also have the Oppo 980H and I decided to play the same disk in the 980 to see if it had the pops as well. And Lo And Behold... it popped between each and every track as well.

So this tells me that the problem is inherent in both players which suggests that the problem lies within the MediaTek chipset and must be and has been an issue for quite some time.

This seems to me as if Oppo's influence on MediaTek seems to be limited since the problem continues from one chip set to the next which has been around for well over two years now. Granted, the MediaTek chip sets between the 980H and the 83 are different but there are apparent similarities between the two since they both exhibit the same issues.

Unfortunately this doesn't bode well for a likely fix in the current Oppo players. Time will tell, but I'm not hopeful at this point after witnessing the exact same results from an Oppo player that's over two years old and is now discontinued.

Perhaps this issue does not have a high priority in the overall picture for the current offerings of the Oppo line. Let's hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /forum/post/18171435

OK, I finally heard my first click.

It occurred while listening to Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection - It happened at the very beginning of track 9 - "Talking Old Soldiers". I heard it mostly in the right channel.

All I could think of when I heard it was that there are actually people out there who obsess over such COMPLETELY TRIVIAL matters! I laughed really hard for a few minutes. Then I felt kind of sad. Sad for those who obsess over such things.

It was a click, that much cannot be denied. It must have lasted all of a few milliseconds. It hampered my enjoyment of the music... not at all.

I was born in 1959. I heard my first CD in 1981. Up until that point I listened to music mostly on vinyl. A click of this magnitude would have totally escaped everyone's notice had it occurred at the beginning of "Talking Old Soldiers" when Tumbleweed Connection was first released on vinyl.

I am now more convinced than ever that those who are so bothered by these clicks are audiophools with a capital "A", their opinions are definitely NOT worthy or consideration. They are almost totally lacking in understanding and should be shunned by those who are not idiots.

I am now divorcing myself from this discussion. If you audiophools want to continue obsessing over this, you'll do so without my participation.

And a perfect comment right after that post Dave.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV /forum/post/18171491

And a perfect comment right after that post Dave.

Dolt! Looks like he erased it. Wow, what a post though. Good thing he did though, as most likely it would have earned him 10 lashings from Arch Nemesis, DrDon.

This whole thing is starting to concern me though. It has the potential to put OPPO in an undeserved "bad light".

If the next player is similar to the -80/-83 feature wise, and fully supports SACD, then this issue will become huge, and music lovers may shy away from it due to the bad hype.

I understand that OPPO may be a small fish in the sea in the eyes of MTK, but at this point there are several things with the chip(s) that should be changed, and if Mediatek doesn't want to give OPPO the time of day, then maybe it's time to look to partner with someone else who is willing to work with OPPO.

Or, maybe MTK will have a new chip that offers everything OPPO wants and needs for the newest player, we shall see...

·
Registered
11,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18155311

Like I said previously, Oppo is giving this "issue" all the attention it warrants.

Someone just needs to whip MTK a little and get them to fix this issue. This is the second generation of product which has had SACD issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S /forum/post/18155375

What else can you share with us?

Nothing has changed since this time last year. The people in the thread are chest thumping like they are making a change. They are not. The same amount of concerted effort which was going into fixing it last year is being applied now. The thread and its commentators are adding absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch57 View Post

Well... You can add the Gene Harris Quartet - Listen Here! to your list. It has pops between each and every track.

What's more interesting is that I also have the Oppo 980H and I decided to play the same disk in the 980 to see if it had the pops as well. And Lo And Behold... it popped between each and every track as well.

So this tells me that the problem is inherent in both players which suggests that the problem lies within the MediaTek chipset and must be and has been an issue for quite some time.

This seems to me as if Oppo's influence on MediaTek seems to be limited since the problem continues from one chip set to the next which has been around for well over two years now. Granted, the MediaTek chip sets between the 980H and the 83 are different but there are apparent similarities between the two since they both exhibit the same issues.

Unfortunately this doesn't bode well for a likely fix in the current Oppo players. Time will tell, but I'm not hopeful at this point after witnessing the exact same results from an Oppo player that's over two years old and is now discontinued.

Perhaps this issue does not have a high priority in the overall picture for the current offerings of the Oppo line. Let's hope I'm wrong.

His update today:
Quote:
I have an update on this situation. I emailed Oppo and they said the issue has never surfaced on any of the Oppo 980s to their knowledge and is specific only to their Blu-Ray players.

So I tested the same disk again on the 980 at the same volume levels and under the same testing scenario. And this time there were no pops between tracks on the 980.

So that got the gears turning and I played the same disk in the Oppo 83 and guess what...? No pops between tracks on the 83 either!

Oppo had know explanation for this other than suggesting that my listening volume wasn't loud enough for me to hear the pops. I assured them that it was since it was at the same volume level when I originally heard the pops. Which was between 80 and 85dB and maybe even louder since I didn't measure it with my SPL meter. But it was at the same volume level as indicated on my processor's display.

Perhaps the issue only arises when a series of specific events takes place such as which devices is powered on first, handshaking issue, interference, etc. Who knows, but it's strange that it popped on both players one day and not on either the next.

Interesting that he could hear pops between tracks on both players earlier, then later on not reproducible.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.