AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still in the market for a large screen TV and I have worked pretty hard to stay current on the many threads in this forum. After all this time, however, I get the feeling I'm back at Square One.

I had been leaning toward the 65" HP 1080p set, but I cannot ignore the issues others have reported with these units. I was getting quite interested in the JVC 1080p units, but then I read comments similar to what I encountered in the HP thread. I was also hoping that the CES would indicate which way I should go to get this purchase settled. But (a la SNL) "Noooooooo"!

Can anyone comment on announced developments qt CES that would give a ray of hope to purchasers in my situation. All I want is a good performing large screen TV, regardless of technology, that I can put in my family room and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
the hp sounds like a great set, but let's see if their upcoming firmware update actually fixes the majority of problems with the current 1080p sets. That's why I'd wait for the upcoming HP xx83 1080p sets that are coming out later this year. It's the 2nd generation of their hdtv's so hopefully HP was able to learn from the problems on their first batch.

the new led-based dlp's sound interesting but their have lower contast ratios, so it seems that they will be brighter, and possibly greyer blacks, than the current 1080p dlp sets.

I like what I see in the new 55" sxrd that sony claims is a prototype. a 1080p that actually will have hdmi ports that accept true 1080p for ps3/bluray, plus it can hang from a wall like plasma or lcd. Hopefully Sony makes this a real product and announces it at their sony show in February/March. Also, hope that Sony resolves the green blob issue and improves the black levels on this set.

sed is supposed to be the best of everything, imagine crt-blacks in a rear projection, but who knows at what costs, realibility, availability, etc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.