AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renob101 /forum/post/15536761

Just curious if they have any plans for the near future.

See it like this, they will not make much money on selling BD players.

So I think they would prefer if BD failed. And another format comes, that will give them large royalties.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I honestly think never. In their mind they were screwed over by some studios and Sony's propaganda machine (marketing department?) that I think that any other viable alternative that comes down the pike, including movie downloads, that will get Sony back is what I think they will do.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
By the end of the year. Basically, their HDTV and player business will depend on their having Blu-ray solutions in hand.

Look at the players, HTiB, and HDTV's, VHS (!), portables, changers, PC's that are now incorporating Blu-ray. It is becoming a core video technology just as DVD was.

Retailers are going to be telling Toshiba that the viability of their video products depends on their incorporating Blu-ray.

They have basically spent the last year looking for alternatives and have found little traction. The XDE was simply seen as another upconverter. Their SD plans looked very weak at CES. Everybody is downloading, no real forward motion for Toshiba there.

At some point, Toshiba execs will figure it out and overcome their issues.

When? Sometime before this coming fall 2009.

·
Registered
27,431 Posts
I think they are still stinging form the big loss... not to mention their HD budget is likely shot!!! They shot the big wad with HD DVD... All tapped out now.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
...in the end, the way these companies work together today. Toshiba will probably end up selling a rebadged Sony....or build Sony's next player in the coming years....Doesn't Sony and Toshiba do a lot of business together otherwise? Toshiba builds the processor in the PS3 don't they?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech /forum/post/15537225

If Sony (inventor of BetaMax) can jump ship and produce VHS VCR's, Toshiba (who also originally produced BetaMax VCR's) can certainly climb on the Blu-Ray bandwagon. They will probably do so if and when Blu-Ray becomes something more than a niche product.

Blu-ray may still have "niche" sales BUT it certainly does not have a "niche" growth curve.

As demonstrated at CES and with last year's sales, Blu-ray is growing like a mainstream product would be expected to grow.

·
Banned
4,969 Posts
Toshiba is focused on making the very best LCD flat panes possible. Toshiba feels that the BD market time table is limited to only a few more years, while the LCD flat panel business is on the rise. I attended their CES press conference and the room was over packed with press and industry experts.

Toshiba will launch the best LCD panels by this spring and then next summer with their Cell processor driven two box solution 4K LCD/HD DVR. Look out Sammy and Sony here comes Toshiba. Toshiba has their sites set on the long term and they have a strong plan to gain market share by building the best HD panels and doing so at affordable price points.

-Robert

·
Registered
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer /forum/post/15539590

Toshiba is focused on making the very best LCD flat panes possible. Toshiba feels that the BD market time table is limited to only a few more years, while the LCD flat panel business is on the rise. I attended their CES press conference and the room was over packed with press and industry experts.

Toshiba will launch the best LCD panels by this spring and then next summer with their Cell processor driven two box solution 4K LCD/HD DVR. Look out Sammy and Sony here comes Toshiba. Toshiba has their sites set on the long term and they have a strong plan to gain market share by building the best HD panels and doing so at affordable price points.

-Robert

This doesn't really help Toshiba gain any fans or credibility with their offerings. They now insinuate that the market that they were hoping to have been the head of is now only viable for a few years and so longer worthy of their attention continues the notion that if I can't be the quarter back then I'm taking my ball and going home. With the Cell processor they could really offer I think a top notch player and truly offer some innovation to the present market. Them not manning up and offering their customers their option of a blu ray player is a mistake that with every passing day possibly will cause someone not to buy that Toshiba TV because they can't see why they can't get their blu ray player to match the new TV. Please don't take this as a shot to your reply Robert.

Other folks are trying to also say that blu ray is just a market that they don't see as viable for more than a few years... i.e.. Apple and Mr. Jobs.. However he can stand on his soap box without the baggage that Toshiba will continue to have on it's back as long as it doesn't move on from it's current position regarding blu ray. Easily I think the possibility of blu ray being around for 10 years is very doable. A few years can turn into a decade very quickly.

To the OP it may not happen however I say within two years Toshiba may come to the table with a player.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer /forum/post/15539590

Toshiba is focused on making the very best LCD flat panes possible. Toshiba feels that the BD market time table is limited to only a few more years, while the LCD flat panel business is on the rise.

Making a BD player would hardly cause them to make worse LCD panels. It's like saying that the PS3 is guilty for the Sony laptop batteries catching fire.

You know who's the top seller of digital TVs in the US? Samsung , and gaining ground over 2nd (Sony). Over one in four TVs sold is a Samsung. Despite them making Blu-ray players. (Toshiba is fourth.)

Additionally, the the LCD flat panel business is expected to mature and decelerate its growth:

Quote:
Austin, Texas— Shipments of panels used in flat-panel TV sets (LCD and plasma) are likely to continue to slow down beyond the current economic crisis as the HDTV market begins to mature, DisplaySearch warned Wednesday in its latest Quarterly Worldwide FPD Forecast Report.

“Concerns over contracting consumer demand over the near term may grab headlines today, but slower growth may be a long-term trend in the flat-panel market,” stated David Barnes, DisplaySearch strategic analysis VP.

From 2001 through 2008, flat-panel display shipments grew at a compound annual rate of 10 percent. From 2008 to 2015, the compound annual growth forecast is 4 percent due to market maturity, as flat-panel displays have captured most of the market previously served by cathode-ray tubes (CRT), the report indicates.

The report points out that more than 80 percent of all TV sets will use flat panels by 2011.

So you're looking at LCD market saturation in two-three years. Then what?

·
Banned
4,969 Posts
MRMOTA-san and Grubert, actually I agree that the BD category will last for 7 to maybe 10 years and I wish Toahiba would make a BD player. I loved their XA2 and their new XDE DVD player. I know they could make a great BD player.

But as close as I am to the very top senior management it's not up to me to decide where to put their R&D money, time and manufacturing efforts. Toshiba is moving full speed ahead on advancing the LCD HDTV development. They are clearly focused on building the very best LCD panels and they seem to be progressing very well.

-Robert

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer /forum/post/15543847

MRMOTA-san and Grubert, actually I agree that the BD category will last for 7 to maybe 10 years and I wish Toahiba would make a BD player. I loved their XA2 and their new XDE DVD player. I know they could make a great BD player.

But as close as I am to the very top senior management it's not up to me to decide where to put their R&D money, time and manufacturing efforts. Toshiba is moving full speed ahead on advancing the LCD HDTV development. They are clearly focused on building the very best LCD panels and they seem to be progressing very well.

-Robert

Blu-ray is becoming a ubiquitous, core technology for video and computers.

We are seeing Blu-ray added to HTiB's, PC's, portables, VHS players, HDTV's, as well as players.

A historical example: at some point around 2002, it became the case that all notebooks you would see on the market had DVD drives (readers at least). You could still buy a notebook without DVD, of course, but the machines that were standardly displayed and sold had DVD drives.

It will not be long before the same is true of Blu-ray players in PC's. Average customers simply will not buy a notebook that does not have a Blu-ray player built in, just like they demand wireless, DVD drive, etc. If Toshiba isn't there with a solution, they will lose the notebook market.

Ditto for the other product categories I mentioned. Who is going to buy an HTiB with only a DVD drive by next year?

Even LCD HDTV's will need to have models that incorporate Blu-ray. Sharp just introduced 5 such models, others will follow. Sony is bundling a Blu-ray player with many of their models. As an LCD HDTV manufacturer, Toshiba will be at a disadvantage without Blu-ray. [I have seen retailers bundling Sony Blu-ray players with Toshiba HDTV's.]

Toshiba has a choice: either incorporate this core technology into their product lines, or lose those markets.

Incidently, I deny that it is a matter of where they focus their attention. Clearly Toshiba has a lot of core competency in optical technology that could readily be transferred to Blu-ray. And they could always OEM their Blu-ray products.

Robert, as someone who very gracefully transitioned from HD DVD to Blu-ray, it is clear to me that you are a reasonable person. I am one of your customers BTW. I suggest that you might discuss some of these matters with your Toshiba contacts.

I would suggest that a terrific Toshiba Blu-ray player would incorporate their upconversion technology along with a universal DL capability allowing ALL content providers to use their players (Netflix, Amazon, Blockbuster etc.). They can through in SD cards. Such a machine should not be that much more expensive than a BD-Live player but could be a real hit in the marketplace.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts