AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a good deal for a GTX260 as a PhysX card to fool around with my GTX295. I know fudzilla posted a while back that even though nvidia planned to make it out with a dx11 part by Win7 release, they won't, but will make it out before the end of 2009.

Just asking for educated guesses here, because I can pick up the GTX260 for $131+free Arkham Asylum (which I was buying anyways).

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
My best guess will be ATI will beat Nvidia to the DX11 release. ATI seems more ahead at this point in time unless Nvidia is keeping mum on purpose to spring a surprise in September to steal the thunder from ATI touted DX11 release that will coincide with Win7.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's fine with me. Considering GTX 295s are still going for $500 that means the high end nvidia dx11 cards will go for at least that much (I'm thinking $600 street).

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
FWIW rumours are Nvidia is working on a dual G300 GPUs on one card that is suppose to be the most powerful card for Dx11.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker /forum/post/17023112

FWIW rumours are Nvidia is working on a dual G300 GPUs on one card that is suppose to be the most powerful card for Dx11.

Hmm. There aren't really any games that take advantage of Dx10.1, supposedly the first game to come out with Dx11 support will be Dirt 2. Other than that I haven't heard of one.

PhysX Game List

PhysX support will be making more of an impact this year too- Arkham Asylum, Borderlands supports it, Dragon Age: Origins, and quite a few of the big upcoming games (at least that I plan to purchase). That's why I'm thinking it will be important to buy a good secondary dedicated card for PhysX.

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
My friend that works for google, has a friend that works for nvidia marketing div, got a peek at a memo for the up coming 300 series that "confirms" the dual 300 series card with ddr5 no less.

Could all be a load of Sh&* but rumors usually have some truth behind them.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/0

PhysX support will be making more of an impact this year too- Arkham Asylum, Borderlands supports it, Dragon Age: Origins, and quite a few of the big upcoming games (at least that I plan to purchase). That's why I'm thinking it will be important to buy a good secondary dedicated card for PhysX.

How is your performance with just the GTX 295? More specifically, what kind of frame-rates do you get during environmental destruction in the Arkham Asylum demo with the PhysX setting set to "high?" How about the performance in the special PhysX maps in UT3?

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/17023318

How is your performance with just the GTX 295? More specifically, what kind of frame-rates do you get during environmental destruction in the Arkham Asylum demo with the PhysX setting set to "high?" How about the performance in the special PhysX levels in UT3?

I don't have UT3, but in the Arkham demo on "High" performance is not good ([email protected] GTX295 OC-665/1450/1180). If I bring it down to the medium setting it runs adequately. I suspect when the next iteration of nvidia cards are introduced (dx11) I might think about buying a comparable or slightly higher-end one and using my current GTX 295 as the Physx GPU.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
295 as a Physx GPU? OMG! I'm not sure if you can utilize a SLI'd GPU for Physx (outside of 2 other SLI'd GPUs)

I think anything over a 9800 series for Physx is overkill IMO.

I tried Arkham on my Q6600 and 295 with 8800GT for physx and thought it performed well. I didn't count frames, but there was no skipping.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/17023426

295 as a Physx GPU? OMG! I'm not sure if you can utilize a SLI'd GPU for Physx (outside of 2 other SLI'd GPUs)

I think anything over a 9800 series for Physx is overkill IMO.

I tried Arkham on my Q6600 and 295 with 8800GT for physx and thought it performed well. I didn't count frames, but there was no skipping.

I imagine they will make provisos in hardware as it improves. (I thought I read somewhere they were working on getting the drivers working so that dual-GPU drivers could work properly for PhysX?) Either way, I figure if I have it I might as well use it- if not I can always sell it and buy a lesser card.

Believe me, actually a 9800GT is more like the jumping off point when you have a card like the GTX 295, and as technology improves each succeeding card will hardly make a dent in the other. That's why I say they are probably working on a way for dual-GPU cards to function properly under PhysX- That kind of power will be needed under the next gen of cards. I thought most of the better cards will be dual-GPU anyways, so they have no choice but to get it to work properly?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I ran the Batman demo with a pair of OC'd 280's SLI'd and a 9800GT as PhysX and had no probms at 25x16 rez with every at the max with XP. Super smooth if I rem, at 19x12 it was just smoother if thats was possible. I actually tested with Win7 64 and with VISTA 64. Funny I got no better results when I ran quad 295's and a 8600GTS as PhysX with Win7 then the 280's SLI and 9800GT setup with XP. The Batman demo is not a DX10 game.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...8&postcount=23

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...7&postcount=26

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/17023292

My friend that works for google, has a friend that works for nvidia marketing div, got a peek at a memo for the up coming 300 series that "confirms" the dual 300 series card with ddr5 no less.

Could all be a load of Sh&* but rumors usually have some truth behind them.

Just a note ATI is also working on their dual DX11 card. Their GPU die is a lot smaller then the G300 so they prob has the edge right now, but the ??? is will it be able to compete with a dual G300. Thats if Nvidia can get it to work without having to go dual PCB and eat the cost as they did with the orginal 295.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker /forum/post/17023552

I ran the Batman demo with a pair of OC'd 280's SLI'd and a 9800GT as PhysX and had no probms at 25x16 rez with every at the max with XP. Super smooth if I rem, at 19x12 it was just smoother if thats was possible. I actually tested with Win7 64 and with VISTA 64. Funny I got no better results when I ran quad 295's and a 8600GTS as PhysX with Win7 then the 280's SLI and 9800GT setup with XP. The Batman demo is not a DX10 game.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...8&postcount=23

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...7&postcount=26

Yes, but look at what you're running it on to begin with. While your GTX 280 SLI is fairly comparable to my GTX 295, your i7 920 setup absolutely kills mine.

Either way, I still say PhysX is the way things are going. I know there was a few good threads where someone ran some tests where you need at least a 9800GT to start actually making a difference when running with a high end card like a GTX 295. I'll see if I can dig it up.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I wouldn't say that.

ATI has been likely producing their cards at an actual profit. I would be shocked if the GT200 cards actually had much of a margin at all (and I doubt the original 295 had any margin at all). The 65nm die was huge...the 55nm die is still very large. The PCB is extremely complex, too. ATI has small dies and relatively simple PCBs.

Sure, Nvidia has the best performance option now, but I think they lost a good chunk of money earning it. Granted, I have a 295 and love it, so I'm not knocking Nvidia or anything.

DaveFi, it surprises me that Physx actually needs a card as powerful as a 8800/9800gt to actulally show decent results. I guess I learn something every day. I usually leave my 8800GT out as it ups my system's idle consumption by 80W, but if Physx takes off I may leave it in permanently. Either way I can't see using more than a single-slot card for Physx...I've kind of accepted dual-slot cards are here to stay, and given how much I like the GTX295 it will be dual-gpu cards from here on out. 2 dual-slot cards is just ridiculous IMO...I need to use the other slots on my board!

One curiosity...I have the dual-pcb 295. I was never able to set the SLI-focus display to the HDMI...have recent drivers remedied that?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/17023684

Yes, but look at what you're running it on to begin with. While your GTX 280 SLI is fairly comparable to my GTX 295, your i7 920 setup absolutely kills mine.

Either way, I still say PhysX is the way things are going. I know there was a few good threads where someone ran some tests where you need at least a 9800GT to start actually making a difference when running with a high end card like a GTX 295. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Actually in almost every test I done when comparing a single 295 vs the SLI 280's, the latter always comes up better with both XP and VISTA 64. Maybe it is that I tested at 25x16. But even at 19x12 the SLI 280's still comes out with better FPS then the one 295. I also tested OC'd quad 295's and they in most case are just barely beating the OC'd 280's. The probm with the 295 is the mem and the bandwidth where the 280 is faster. I wish the 295 was faster then the SLI 280's, that would mean I can lessen the load on my gaming system running only one vid card under XP. But I plan on running quad 295's with Win7 64.

The quad 295s are slower then tri SLI 280/295 is many tests. It all comes down to the 295 mem and its limitations. The 295 shld have been dual 285's and not dual 275's.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/17024206

DaveFi, it surprises me that Physx actually needs a card as powerful as a 8800/9800gt to actulally show decent results. I guess I learn something every day. I usually leave my 8800GT out as it ups my system's idle consumption by 80W, but if Physx takes off I may leave it in permanently. Either way I can't see using more than a single-slot card for Physx...I've kind of accepted dual-slot cards are here to stay, and given how much I like the GTX295 it will be dual-gpu cards from here on out. 2 dual-slot cards is just ridiculous IMO...I need to use the other slots on my board!

One curiosity...I have the dual-pcb 295. I was never able to set the SLI-focus display to the HDMI...have recent drivers remedied that?

The various test with PhysX benchies that says you shld use a min of a 9800GT to get the best performance. As I posted in another post, yes the benchies will def show it, thats what they are suppose to do, but for most games that currently uses PhysX right now they are not straining most compatible PhysX vid cards. I can tell you that there was no diff in physX on FPS when I compared a system using an 8600GTS vs one using a 9800GT for PhysX. Maybe upcoming game may push the PhysX vid card more, but right now the games don't.

LOL...I never even tried the HDMI ports (I've forgotten they were even there) on either of my 295's since I use monitors for displays on my gaming systems. Sorry no help there.

ADD: the above comments are just from my limited observations with my setups.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Not sure if this is the best place to ask but if not, sorry in advance.

Seems that you folks are "experts" when it comes to video cards, and since I am building a new system, I have some questions regarding video cards.

In the end, this system will connect to a projector that is 720p in the beginning and 1080p in about 3 months.

I currently have 2 monitors that have resolutions of 1600 x 1050 (I think that is it).

Since I like Nvidia over ATI, I have no plans to purchase an ATI card.

For NVidia, I am thinking of purchasing the 295 or 280. Not sure if I will purchase Dual of the cards, however, do these cards support having games use both monitors at the same time? In other words, I want to be able to see the game stretch across both monitors. Also, since my monitors only have a max resolution of 1600x1050, what benefit do I really get if I purchase Dual cards? Again, the end results will be that this system will connect to a projector via HDMI, so I am looking for a solution that can work for today and tomorrow.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts