AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
A transfer function magnitude plot alone is almost meaningless. You need an SPL chart to show sensitivity and a maximum SPL chart to show displacement limited output to make a useful comparison.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
the jbl is superior to the mfw.

i can't see what the third driver is, so no comment there.

the transfer function is useful for helping choose the correct size enclosure, but it really doesn't tell you anything about the capability of the driver or how the final result will sound.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, without "knowing" what the 3rd driver is...
does it measure well?

As a measure, the 3rd driver is the same cost as the MFW and the JBL is about 5 times that cost. (I'll probably get it for 3 times the cost of the MFW).

·
Registered
7,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/20895233

As a measure, the 3rd driver is the same cost as the MFW and the JBL is about 5 times that cost. (I'll probably get it for 3 times the cost of the MFW).

Then buy three of the MFW's to get similar output as the JBL, but spread them around the room so you get a smoother frequency response.

Otherwise, the JBL has the highest output. So assuming it's got the same wattage rating as the others, then the one plot I'd still like to see is the x-max.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the MFW's are all gone.
Can't get em.

And there's a sort of drought of good drivers at the moment, which is why I've been looking all over the place. The Dayton DVC 15" is certainly an option. (which is my fall back plan), but this 3rd 15" driver "seems" to model well.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/20895329

The Dayton DVC 15" is certainly an option.

And it is on sale for $130 shipped. As well, it's a better driver than the MFW. Or at least it's DVC and has higher X-Max I think.

AND comes with warranty.

So how about the X-Max plots? SPL is useless if you're exceeding X-Max.

Btw, to model the Dayton DVC in WinISD, just select the Adire Tempest. 99% the same driver.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/20895233

Well, without "knowing" what the 3rd driver is...
does it measure well?

Looks like you found a winner, even though you havent showed the excursion plot. The box Q is a bit high in 3 ft3.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/20895391

The box Q is a bit high in 3 ft3.

Yes it is. The ideal box size is about 4 cuft for a Q of about .81. For .707, you're looking at about 7 cubes for the 3rd driver.

I'm thinking a PEQ in front of it, or a Linkwitz circuit. One way or the other.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"Well, without "knowing" what the 3rd driver is... does it measure well?"

i have no idea, since it hasn't been measured. a measurement will show things like 2nd and 3rd distortion and any strange frequency response behavior. good measurements will show things like spectral contamination, intermodulation distortion, and power compression behavior. none of that shows up in a winisd model. alternatively, you could do a klippel measurement on the driver in order to measure the parameters that are likely to correlate with the above items. the winisd model is simply to help you select the right size enclosure. it doesn't tell you much about the quality of the driver or how it will perform.

with a qe of .58, the driver has a pretty weak motor, which is why the f0 is relatively low at 21hz and that is good for getting extra extension in a an enclosure, but might not be ideal for other things. 180 watts rated power is pretty low. that is likely to experience thermal compression at just about any reasonable listening level.

i'm not really sure what the point of the "hide the subwoofer" game is all about, but i'll play along.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Why are you putting maximum rated power into each one? Use the actual amount of amp power you will be putting into them.

If you plan on using a 300 watt amp, use 300w as the signal.

Then show us the SPL (not maximum SPL), cone excursion, phase, and group delay for all 3 systems.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/20898026

i'm not really sure what the point of the "hide the subwoofer" game is all about, but i'll play along.

Oh, no game. I was trying an experiment to see if our opinion gets swayed by knowing the "brand" of something vs the raw numbers.

The driver is....of all things, a crappy car sub from Hifonics (Maxxsonics). The model is the BRZ15D4.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.