AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to hear your thoughts......After playing the 360 and PS4 versions, I'm ready to take a break.......I was hoping they had corrected the shadow and detail range on the PC but it doesn't look like they did, my guess is this is some kind of hard limitation built into the engine and isn't easily "patched out" so to speak. Anyone who's played the game probably knows what I'm talking about, like how when you drive out of Los Santos Customs in the heart of downtown (not far from Michaels house) you can literally see a huge shadow forming underneath an otherwise not-shadowed wall just meters in front of your person, car...and if you take a few steps back, the shadow disappears...the "Bubble of Detail" as it were. In the bubble, pretty...outside the bubble...shadows don't just change, they all but disappear. It was more a problem on the next gen systems where its easier to spot the problem.

But it is a small issue......I'm curious if the game is more playable as an FPS on the PC with more instant mouse control. Having tried FPS on the PS4...frankly....I didn't like it. It felt too much like playing the game from the 3rd person only now with my Point of View recentered. Because of the way GTA lets you snap-aim, and the way you often times get assaulted from the rear, the lack of situational awareness and the tightly-cropped FOV made it tough for me to enjoy.

Are you guys (and ladies) having better luck on the PC? Seeing the world in 1080p is something I can already do, seeing it at 60fps might be nice, but I've managed to forestall the hype....its still the same engine with the same lighting, and I'm not seeing hundreds of people on the street or traffic jams at noon......but I ask for a lot :)

What are people thinking on this one....I'll own it someday, of course, probably this time next year on a Steam $14.99 sale....

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Yeah I didn't like the first person mode that much on a game controller, it's a neat trick but the accuracy on the right thumb stick is just nowhere near good enough. I hope Steam controllers will fix that. Get a steam controller for use on FPSes, and a cronusmax to make it work on consoles, bam, done.

But as for FPS, they are going to add Occulus support. In fact that's one of the reasons it was added in the first place, as a prelude to VR because you can't really do VR unless in first person. I'm gonna play the game from start to finish once that happens.

The extra framerate on PC is a godsend. I would rather on PS4 and Xbox one the choice to play in 720p / 60 or 1080p/30, especially for online multiplayer the extra smoothness is a big deal.

The PC version is going to be the definitive version of the game going forward, although I expect Rockstar will keep updating the next gen console versions with new tweaks and perf improvements especially as DX12 comes out for Xbox One and PC, and the PS4 gets support for Morpheus and maybe even the consoles get a hardware revision.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Yes, while the game runs like a dream and looks excellent overall, you do still see some close proximity pop-in and level of detail changes even at absolute max settings while running on SSDs. Hopefully this can be addressed, as high-end PC rigs should be able to adequately handle full quality long distance draws in this game.

I only played a little in first-person with a mouse and keyboard. I really like the perspective, though the precise aiming makes the game a bit too simplistic thus far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll be getting it once the price has down a bit. I'm most looking forward to what mods people will create to enhance the single player experience. Perhaps all the small issues we have right now can be fixed with mods in the future.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Oh man I am lovin' this game. I have completely avoided any version of this game just to wait for it on PC and am blown away. I've had every prior version on PC and the detail in this game is such an improvement. I am about 10 hours into it, but I am enjoying exploring the city and soupin' up some of the old muscle cars lol. I went to the beach and rode a bike around and just took in all of the environment. My wife wants her own copy just to ride a bike around lol.

The game runs great on my 2 year old system with a GTX 770. I set the ignore limit option and have the memory in the red, cranking up the details, and its seems to still run nice. I have not experimented with FXAA VS any other AA.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Also wanted to bring up the story. I am just barely into the story, but man do they drop the N-word a lot in this game. Jango ain't got nothin' on this game! It's a bit overboard IMHO, even though the story and dialogue have had me literally lol'ing several times.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Oh man I am lovin' this game. I have completely avoided any version of this game just to wait for it on PC and am blown away. I've had every prior version on PC and the detail in this game is such an improvement. I am about 10 hours into it, but I am enjoying exploring the city and soupin' up some of the old muscle cars lol. I went to the beach and rode a bike around and just took in all of the environment. My wife wants her own copy just to ride a bike around lol.

The game runs great on my 2 year old system with a GTX 780. I set the ignore limit option and have the memory in the red, cranking up the details, and its seems to still run nice. I have not experimented with FXAA VS any other AA.
Before my new 970 came in yesterday I was actually able to play this at 720p with the default settings the game sets (basically normal) on the on-board gpu in the 4770K and got 30+ fps all the time. They did a fantastic job on the port. Runs like a dream on the 970 though

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Also wanted to bring up the story. I am just barely into the story, but man do they drop the N-word a lot in this game. Jango ain't got nothin' on this game! It's a bit overboard IMHO, even though the story and dialogue have had me literally lol'ing several times.
Yeah, the deplorable Trevor character in particular is extremely over-the-top, even by this series' standards. That said, the game is lots of fun.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Before my new 970 came in yesterday I was actually able to play this at 720p with the default settings the game sets (basically normal) on the on-board gpu in the 4770K and got 30+ fps all the time. They did a fantastic job on the port. Runs like a dream on the 970 though
I just ordered a Zotac ZT 90101 GTX 970 last night/early this morning from Newegg for $309 (includes The Witcher 3). I have a small Shuttle XPC, so I jumped on this smaller sized 970, and the price was great. I wonder how much better will that GTX 970 fare than my current GTX 770? (I incorrectly stated earlier I had a 780). I only play at 1080P, so hopefully I can really push the detail and AA.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I just ordered a Zotac ZT 90101 GTX 970 last night/early this morning from Newegg for $309 (includes The Witcher 3). I have a small Shuttle XPC, so I jumped on this smaller sized 970, and the price was great. I wonder how much better will that GTX 970 fare than my current GTX 770? (I incorrectly stated earlier I had a 780). I only play at 1080P, so hopefully I can really push the detail and AA.
Oh yeah dude at 1080 you'll be fine. I have everything maxed in the Graphics options (MSAA turned off though for the fps boost) and I play at 1440p. get a steady 50-60 fps. Granted my 970 is factory overclocked, but I doubt that has a huge effect on the framerate

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, the deplorable Trevor character in particular is extremely over-the-top, even by this series' standards. That said, the game is lots of fun.
Guys, we're in a GTA game.....it's not a real life simulator, it's a "Real Life according to TMZ" simulator. Trevor is the proto-citizen in this society, he's what everybody secretly aspires to be.....completely conscious-free and finding the sarcastic humor in every ridiculous situation. Michael just wants to take the red pill and get back to the fantasy, now that he has it all and realizes....its all bull****, and once you have the money and the toys there's no place left to go but down. And Franklin, next to Michael the only real decent guy in the game.

But don't blame Trevor for being trapped and adapting to a world he did not make ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Just downloading it on Steam now. Hope it runs well on my gtx 760.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Just downloading it on Steam now. Hope it runs well on my gtx 760.

It'll run fine. I seriously played it for 2 days on the integrated gpu on the i7-4770K. It was @720p and the setting son normal, but I was getting 30+ fps

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So to keep the thread alive, have any of you also played this on next gen and can give a comparison of the "feel". Look wise, I honestly don't think we're seeing much of an impact except perhaps for better textures. Grass pop-in looks about the same, detail pop-in about the same and even Digital Foundry has commented that the "shadow pop in" hasn't been fixed, again probably a limitation of the engine. I've got dual 670's that can drive maxxed out Crysis 3 at 55fps (which I lock it at) without any dips, I think I'd be in the same boat here...maybe.....my CPU is strong, the dual 670's are more like a single 980, give or take.....so maybe.

Thing is I'd still be playing with a pad (those games never worked for me, at all, with mouse/keyboard unless I were to do the whole thing as an FPS......something the game engine really *isn't* designed for per-say....great add-on, but I've seen people playing it on UTUB and of course there's that "its cool in a firefight and awful driving (I don't enjoy the driving FPS part...the controls are much too skittish and the ultra-zoomed-in view is very distracting, driving IMHO needs to be done in the 3rd person).

But enough of my complaining :D

Other than framerate (which I admit I do want to interact in this world at 60fps with no dips, the realism of the world must really come out then), if you've spent any time with the X1 or PS4 versions, would love to hear about those comparisons...is it more than just framerate...or is it pretty much just framerate.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
So to keep the thread alive, have any of you also played this on next gen and can give a comparison of the "feel". Look wise, I honestly don't think we're seeing much of an impact except perhaps for better textures. Grass pop-in looks about the same, detail pop-in about the same and even Digital Foundry has commented that the "shadow pop in" hasn't been fixed, again probably a limitation of the engine. I've got dual 670's that can drive maxxed out Crysis 3 at 55fps (which I lock it at) without any dips, I think I'd be in the same boat here...maybe.....my CPU is strong, the dual 670's are more like a single 980, give or take.....so maybe.

Thing is I'd still be playing with a pad (those games never worked for me, at all, with mouse/keyboard unless I were to do the whole thing as an FPS......something the game engine really *isn't* designed for per-say....great add-on, but I've seen people playing it on UTUB and of course there's that "its cool in a firefight and awful driving (I don't enjoy the driving FPS part...the controls are much too skittish and the ultra-zoomed-in view is very distracting, driving IMHO needs to be done in the 3rd person).

But enough of my complaining :D

Other than framerate (which I admit I do want to interact in this world at 60fps with no dips, the realism of the world must really come out then), if you've spent any time with the X1 or PS4 versions, would love to hear about those comparisons...is it more than just framerate...or is it pretty much just framerate.
More than just frame rate. Better textures, better shadows, better visuals overall, much better population density, everything feels smoother and more natural. First person is brilliant on foot, and it's great in driving too, but I alternate on the driving. If I'm on foot though, always first person for me. The gunfights are much better that way.I have my controller plugged in at the same time and when I get in a vehicle I just pick it up to drive with. If the FOV bothers you, there's a mod out already that lets you mess with the FOV so it's not as constricted as the default one in the option.

I honestly haven't noticed pop-in, but then again I've been playing the game and having a blast, not looking for issues like a lot of YouTubers do. It's much different when you're actually playing compared to just watching. You really don't notice.

I play completely maxed on settings (but with MSAA and TXAA off, FXAA still on, and most of the "advanced" options off since the visual gain isn't worth it really) @ 1440p and barely ever drop below 50fps on my 970.

2560x1440
FXAA On
Vsync On
Population Density Maxed
Population Variety Maxed
Distance Scaling Maxed
Texture Quality Very High
Shader Quality Very High
Shadow Quality Very High
Reflection Quality Very High
Reflection MSAA 8x
Water Quality Very High
Particles Quality Very High
Grass Quality Very High
Soft Shadows NVIDIA PCSS
Post FX Very High
Motion Blur Strength Lowest
In-Game Depth of Field Effects On
Anisotropic Filtering 16x
Ambient Occlusion High
Tessellation Very High

Long Shadows Off
High Resolution Shadows Off
High Detail Streaming While Flying Maxed
Extended Distance Scaling Lowest
Extended Shadows Distance Lowest

Those Advanced options aren't worth it imo.

But with those settings @1440p like I said I almost never dip below 50fps and I'm only using 2.6GB of VRAM of the 4GB on my card

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank You for that rundown...in the youtube videos I'm seeing so far, I'm not seeing greater population density, something that was lacking in the original release and maybe, slightly bumped in Next Gen depending on time of day and location, probably one of those "pick the right time of day on the right street" things, like sometimes you can find significant 4 lanes of traffic with 8 cars stacked up versus 2 lanes with 4 cars stacked up in last-gen, that sort of thing. Still would like to see people everywhere walking around.....just not sure how many times I can hear "WHAT UP MY DUDE!" 15 times on the same road ;)

And yeah, the in-car FOV is painful to me...it feels "right" if I dip the right joystick down so I see more of the wheel and the dashboard, right now in the default in-car FOV view I feel like I'm leaning my chin on the steering wheel top and driving like my grandmother used to :) I think in most driving games in-car view you'd be seeing more of the peripheral from the left and right doors, that is what I miss....its a little too zoomed in on the PS4 for me for it to feel right, and keeping the right stick pressed up or down to see more of the dash isn't really practical.

Thanks for taking the time to break it down for me.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I would be crashing into a lot more people if the population were significantly denser. My real life driving skills are immaculate; my GTA driving skills... not so much.

I am kind of surprised by how much pop-in and LOD changes I've noticed while playing this game at highest settings, but that makes it no less fun in the overall picture.

Oh, and don't use YouTube as an indicator of texture quality since those videos are heavily compressed. I can assure you that the visuals are for the most part razor sharp.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I was trying to get my settings configured last night so I didn't have to deal with it today when I wanted to play, and it kind of drives me a little nuts that the benchmark is broken so I can't test my framerate.

Halfway through the benchmark it keeps telling me the mission has failed because I am too far away from my crew.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.