AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the specs and its seems that CRT's have better picture quality and more detail. Is it because CRT's are much larger or is it the energy output or am I missing something. I look at all you guys CRT photos and I love the detail. But I was just wondering why most prefer DLP's. I have researched the SIM's, JVC, SONY's, SHARP's, and so on but I know I am missing something fundamental behind this. Can someone help a newbie out?

·
Registered
384 Posts
They are typically used, so you need to have some idea on what to look for.

They are big.

They are not plug & play.

They are big.

They do not typically come with a digital (HDMI/DVI) input.

They are big.

You have to have a clue how to setup and operate it.

They are big.

Most people care about a big picture more than a great picture.

They are big

·
Registered
235 Posts
In addition, they are heavy and can be loud.

·
Registered
37 Posts
---And will kill you if it fall down from ceiling..:) also the waf faktor is not even there...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up. After all the reviews I have narrowed my selection of my first projector to either the JVC DILA HD100 or the Sim HT380. Of course, I must first finish my basement
. I know I am getting a little ahead of myself but all of the info you guys provide is priceless. I hope to one day give my analysis so it can be critiqued.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy1972 /forum/post/12983313

I hope to one day give my analysis so it can be critiqued.

Just make sure to give it in the digital area... We really don't care about flashlights around here

·
Registered
18,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephF /forum/post/12984406

Just make sure to give it in the digital area... We really don't care about flashlights around here

Be sure to stock a spare bulb, and be prepared to throw it out when it breaks. Lots of digital guys don't take that into consideration.. I know. I get the phone calls: 'got a bulb?', 'can you fix my digital?' 'WHY NOT???"

·
Registered
448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy1972 /forum/post/12982557

I have read the specs and its seems that CRT's have better picture quality and more detail. Is it because CRT's are much larger or is it the energy output or am I missing something. I look at all you guys CRT photos and I love the detail. But I was just wondering why most prefer DLP's. I have researched the SIM's, JVC, SONY's, SHARP's, and so on but I know I am missing something fundamental behind this. Can someone help a newbie out?

If you like the detail in the pics you see here, you would be floored when you see a good CRT HT in person. Not sure where you located, but you just might find someone in your area that would be willing to show you the crt side of ht.

You won't reget it.

wallace

·
Registered
11,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/12984427

Be sure to stock a spare bulb, and be prepared to throw it out when it breaks. Lots of digital guys don't take that into consideration.. I know. I get the phone calls: 'got a bulb?', 'can you fix my digital?' 'WHY NOT???"

Curt, if you and the truth ever meet head on, you're going to have a serious injury. You are as bad as the guy who sees 15 year old Zenith CRT in a bar and tells everyone how CRT sucks. Alas, you will never change. Keep those blinders on buddy.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Q, let's face facts, shall we?

A typical consumer digital machine is designed to run about 3000-4000 hours. Bulbs are typically discontinued about 5 years after the model is discontinued, and I've heard cases of shorter times. I know here in Canada, precious few bulbs are stocked, and I was given a 4-6 week wait time for a popular Hitachi bulb for an 18 month old unit because neither the distributor nor Hitachi stocked the bulb.

Everything digital is disposable. Less than 1% of digital TV display devices are repaired outside of the warranty period, I've talked with several, and they all tell me that all the repair shops are really there for are as warranty repair depots, nothing else.

Go look on ebay and punch in 'as is' if you think I'm lying.

Where am I lying? I call it like I see it.

No question CRT projectors are getting older and yes, they break down too. But short of a direct lightning hit, they can always be repaired. For cheap. Less than the cost of a bulb in virtually all cases (save for tube replacement). the highest hour CRT chassis I've had in was 68,000 hours. I retubed it and resold it. Solid as a rock. Many sets have come through my place with >35K hours on them. Digital? Not so much.

Let's take this to the floor man, your shot!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am around lots different companies. The ones with digital projectors most change them out as they change their computers every 2-3 years. They treat the projectors as disposable. Where I have seen companies that have had CRT projectors from 1995 still running. Curt is right about the outside of warranty repair. Oh and you only get a 90 day warranty on the bulb. Yes I have installed brand new bulbs and they below with in the first 20 hours. Or just outside of the 90 days. I have seen them take out the diffuser as well.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/12984896

Q, let's face facts, shall we?

I think you meant to say "let's face my facts". There is no doubt that a lot of products today are essentially disposable. However to tell someone that is buying a digital projector to "be prepared to throw it out when it breaks" with no qualification for price range (i.e. probably true if it is $1000), manufacturer etc. is a gross exagerration.

BTW, along the lines of your Hitachi story, I had to wait several weeks for an analog preamplifier to be prepared. Does that prove analog preamplifiers are disposable? Why is it that I have been able to get digital projectors repaired?

·
Registered
11,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcoguy /forum/post/12985071

I am around lots different companies. The ones with digital projectors most change them out as they change their computers every 2-3 years. They treat the projectors as disposable.

This I agree with but it must be looked at in context. Many corporations now buy boatloads of cheap presentation projectors. It makes good sense to toss them when they break and buy a new one.

CRT's on the other hand were usually much more expensive and it made more sense to repair them, same as it does a more expensive digital projector. There's also the issue that digital prices have continued to drop while also improving. I suspect these same corporations tossed their CRT's, right? For the same reason. It made more sense to buy a cheap digital when all you are doing is powerpoint presentations.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ /forum/post/12985089

Why is it that I have been able to get digital projectors repaired?

Are these projectors you had repaired a consumer "best buy" type projector. Or some large digital barco... Don't want to start some big debate just curious.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
No, more expensive digital projectors, i.e. 5K>, but not large digital Barco's or anything like that. Don't get me wrong, I agree fully that most of the Best Buy PJ's are essentially disposable, buy they are also usually 1K or so. There was a pretty good article here about manufacturers (Vizio etc.) that are designing nothing but disposable products.

http://hdguru.com/?p=107%22Your

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I sold my Sony HS51A LCD as soon as I heard some one was given a estimate to change the polarizer filters for $2000+. Sony does the same thing if you need your G70 CRT or what have you serviced. But good thing is with anolog device you can get falla's here to repair them but digital pj's need specific repair center with parts availability always a concern if they aree beyond a year or two year old.

Just called Optom for flickerng lamp and they were out of stock and I ran out of 90 day warranty.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Q, there's also no question that component level repair is a rare breed of tech these days. Since I run my DVD player 24/7, I bought an extended warranty from BB for it. I had a run of bad lasers in the Panasonic unit, they failed one after another at the 26 day mark. I ran through 6, but since BB has a 30 day replacement warranty, I got a new one after another. THe 6th one lasted 35 days, so I had to get it sent to Panasonic for repair. 4-5 weeks I was told.

WTF? Back in my TV shop days, if we told a customer it would take more than 3 days to get to looking at their set, the customer would take it somewhere else.

Why did it take several weeks to get a preamp repaired? Parts problems maybe? Can't be because the shop was too busy, I don't buy that.

As for repairs, it's a known fact that say a $1000 (back in the day) dual CD player for DJ purposes used the same laser and spin motors as a $99 unit. So you'd spend $350 to get a dual CD changer overhauled, whereas you'd pitch a $99 single disc unit. Maybe you'd repair a $>5K digital, I know some of the $27K Qualias have gone down according to posts in the >$20K forum, and it cost $1500 to repair them. I now have the Qualia 004 service manual, and looking at the power supply board, I can repair them a lot cheaper than the $1500 that Sony is charging.

I dare you though to TRY and get tech support out of warranty for virtually all of the electronics sold today. I've heard inside scoops from repair facilities ranging from Sony to Sam (he who shall not be named), and horror stories of problematic designs and repetitive failures that are kept hush hush, in hopes that the end user won't catch on.

I'm sure there are similar stories for CRT projectors, but again, thanks to a lot of people here, we've pinpointed a lot of those and we can DO something about it, which can't be said for the vast majority of digital problems.

Don't even get me started on the whole HDMI fiasco, or the fact that every HD DVD and BR player comes with a sheet right in the box, saying 'don't use this until you've downloaded the latest software from our site. WTF???

·
Registered
2,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ /forum/post/12985139

This I agree with but it must be looked at in context. Many corporations now buy boatloads of cheap presentation projectors. It makes good sense to toss them when they break and buy a new one.

Just an observation from work (we got a boatload of presentation pjs).

Rather than buying new bulbs we buy new projectors so that is true.

But that is not entirely by choice.

The choice is made for us since the bulb cost as much as the PJ.

If a new PJ cost $1500 and a bulb $1000 there is no real point to buy the bulb is it. If the cost would have been $100/bulb that would be something different.

Just my 2 cents of course.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Cost of lamps for presentation pj's are not even close to a grand.

They are about $250 to $400 for a pj that costs $1500.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I always wondered how the manufactures sold the idea of big screen RPTV that requires a bulb replacement after so many hours. What you have is you are going backwards from a set that you do not have to if you do not want to, service it, to a set that is guarantied to go black on you at some point. "Honey the blacks look really good tonight". "You idiot the bulb is burnt out again, call the Sony tech. guy".

Deron.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts