·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like it is in HD

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
On previous episodes folks argued that it wasn't HD, but this looks HD to me...

Or a very, very good upconvert

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm not getting HD on KXRM in the Springs, not even an upconvert, plain ol' sd. But, in IMHO, this show rocks and kicks ass all over AI.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_d_lopez
I'm not getting HD on KXRM in the Springs, not even an upconvert, plain ol' sd. But, in IMHO, this show rocks and kicks ass all over AI.
ok, check that... 3/4 of the way through the program, it switched to the upconvert.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Quote:
But, in IMHO, this show rocks and kicks ass all over AI.
I hope you are joking...

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Looks like a regular 'ol SD upconvert to me. No "HDTV" banner at the beginning either ... All FOX HD shows have that, with the exception of sports.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I was watching it for a bit last night on my 19" bedroom TV (SD obviously). Judging by the transmission issues they had at one point when the judges were speaking, it appeared to be HD! ;)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The 5 minutes I watched (more than enough, thank you) looked either like an upconvert or EXTREME HD Lite. Nothing like AI used to look.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It is basically HD, no question, but what kind of HD and what percentage I couldn't say. *Some* of it is definitely SD upconvert, but the live stuff isn't. The handheld camera shots do sometimes look like they were shot with a consumer-level "HD" camera (like one of those Sonys that does 1440x1080 with a one-chip CCD), but there is still way more resolution than any SD stuff I've seen on any channel. I do very occasionally see shots that really do look SD, mostly when they're showing pre-recorded "clips" from workout days in the dance studios. But not always even then, sometimes those shots look HD. It might depend on what equipment they have available on individual days.

Fox's other widescreen reality shows (like Nanny 911) look the same way. I think these are a mix of SD and HD and the handheld cams are obviously not as good as the "big" cameras they can use on a studio set.

Looking at that other thread, a lot of people seem to think this show is an upconvert, but it is pretty obvious switching back and forth between the 480i SD broadcast and the HD broadcast that there is a huge difference in the resolution of the two broadcasts. Somebody also posted the bit rate of So You Think You Can Dance and it's around 14mb/sec.

A lot of people seem to have various issues with specific markets with this show, though - some people saying they don't even get widescreen, some saying their provider was switching back and forth, etc. So maybe part of the issue is that. I've always had widescreen and it's always looked as good as American Idol (which doesn't look great either, to me) on my set.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
This show is SD component video and looks better than something like the saturday MLB games, which are composite upconverts. It is not HD. As a previous poster said, it isn't even close to AI.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace
This show is SD component video and looks better than something like the saturday MLB games, which are composite upconverts. It is not HD. As a previous poster said, it isn't even close to AI.
What you're sellin', I ain't buyin'.

Eh, but maybe you're right, what the hell do I know. It sure looks HD to me, though.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
One of the reasons there is so much confusion is that so few people understand the difference between composite SD and component SD. The difference is at least as great as the difference between component SD and HD.

Most people have formed their opinion of what SD looks like on their experience with composite SD, which is what they see most of the time from their local station's upconverts. When they see a component SD upconvert, it looks so much better that they automatically assume it is HD.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badasscat
I've always had widescreen and it's always looked as good as American Idol (which doesn't look great either, to me) on my set.
:eek:

American Idol looked superb -- nothing at all like this. I'm in a better position that most to make this assessments -- I can watch the SD and HD feeds side-by-side on two identical professional monitors -- when the show is not HD, as is the case here, there is no difference in the amount of detail visible in the feeds. When HD is fed, there's a HUGE difference.

But, as I've always said, why get stuck on pixel counts? If something looks good to a particular person and they believe it's HD, then to them, it is. They can just sit back and enjoy.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quote:
But, in IMHO, this show rocks and kicks ass all over AI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall
I hope you are joking...
Seriously.

OK... the day after that quote I have some reservations that the show ROCKS. But, I've never seen the attraction of AI, so, just about anything is better than that for me personally. But, I must admit, since giving up E* and all the premiums, my viewing standards have declined.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace
One of the reasons there is so much confusion is that so few people understand the difference between composite SD and component SD. The difference is at least as great as the difference between component SD and HD.

Most people have formed their opinion of what SD looks like on their experience with composite SD, which is what they see most of the time from their local station's upconverts. When they see a component SD upconvert, it looks so much better that they automatically assume it is HD.
That makes perfect sense. It sounds like you have inside information. But to me it looked even worse than a good quality DVD, which is the same as SD component, right?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate
That makes perfect sense. It sounds like you have inside information. But to me it looked even worse than a good quality DVD, which is the same as SD component, right?
It is the same as a DVD, and also like a DVD the quality is variable.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
HD or not, the chick that hosts is smoking ;)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.