AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine this: You call up Columbia Tri-Star and ask why your favorite old TV show isn't out on DVD. The friendly executive patiently explains that producing a DVD box-set costs a surprising amount of money. Alas, their bean counters don't expect high enough sales to justify that sort of outlay, so no DVD's for you.

You plead with the executive. You don't need a fancy box set; don't need commentaries, extras, and animated menus. You don't need them to spend money cleaning up the sound and picture. Heck, don't even spend a lot of time on the authoring. Just give the old tapes to some high-school kid and have him produce the DVD's on his Dell.

As far as I can tell, that's pretty much what happened with Soap*. It's great to see the show, but boy are the production values low with this set. The good news is that once you get past the packaging, it's still Soap. When the show was "on", it was one of the best sitcoms ever.

I can't say the show reached that level with the first few episodes. As with many series, it takes a few episodes for everyone to get comfortable with their roles. But by the middle of S1, the show was cruising.

The show is funny, the DVD's are cheap ($20-25) and I highly recommend this to most people. However, those folks who can't stand poor quality video will have to give this set a pass. Also, be sure to note that all of the episodes are mono; so no DTS :)

Sal

*OK - so this set didn't come about due to a phone call. It won that internet poll a few months back. The one where some AVS'er was pushing folks to vote for The Tick. I believe Tick came in second and is due out on DVD next. I assume it will get the same no-frill production Soap got.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Been watching this one. Yes it is barely in stereo (sounds like mono), and the picture is adequate at best.

However... this is still a season of soap for 20-30 dollars!!! Great!!!

Chris.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.