AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 CLICKY

This game makes me happy and sad at times.

When the first videos of the gameplay came out, I was really excited (GAMESPOT DEVELOPER VIDEO)

Then I see this and I'm not too excited, the animations don't look very impressive and the textures are less than stellar.

Couple that with the fact that the release date got pushed back an entire month SEPTEMBER to OCTOBER , I'm hoping that the extra month allows for them to flush out much of the animation as well as get the textures looking somewhat decent. It would be a crying shame if this game suffered from frame rate issues because of the textures.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
244 Posts
We'll have to wait and see. I watched the preview stuff on the first episode of Qore with mixed feelings (I purchased that first episode strictly for access to the Beta). It didn't seem as far along as I would've hoped at this point. The gameplay looked stiff and it was wierd watching guys get sniped one after another off of rooftops and just continue to stand there. I do have high hopes for this one as Socom 2 really got me into ps2 online.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, SOCOM2 is what got me online on the ps2 as well and so far no game has managed to hook me the way SOCOM2 did.

I used to play and laugh hours up hours into the morning, so far, nothing on the PS3 has done that for me. I'm hoping that this game will bring back the community that is largely lacking on the PS3, the exception being Warhawk of course.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/14225934

Yup, SOCOM2 is what got me online on the ps2 as well and so far no game has managed to hook me the way SOCOM2 did.

I used to play and laugh hours up hours into the morning, so far, nothing on the PS3 has done that for me. I'm hoping that this game will bring back the community that is largely lacking on the PS3, the exception being Warhawk of course.

Agreed Socom 2 HANDS DOWN the best ever. I would play for 24 hours straight, feeling crack headed and drunk, but still struggling to stay awake and play one more... (SOCRACK)

hence PSN ID : onemoretry

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like that name.... you play any other games at the moment?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd say be prepared to be let down, I had really high hopes for this game but I don't think it will be even close to SOCOM II. I've never heard of Slant Six so I'm reserving my final judgement and I will buy the game, but if these videos are a testament of what the end product will be, the only thing we can hope for is a large community since that is what made the Original SOCOM titles so good in the first place.

Did they bring back Blizzard, god I love that map :p

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/14238519

I like that name.... you play any other games at the moment?

COD4 buying Civ for the heck of it, other than that... not much as of late

·
Registered
153 Posts
I checked out some of the gameplay and map fly-by videos on IGN. I'm a veteran of Counter-Strike on the PC and have never played any of the SOCOM series. To be honest, Confrontation looks like it will be pretty good. The sound is done well from what I can tell in the videos, the maps are beautifully textured, and if it's got gameplay on par with the rest of the series, it should be fun- I remembered friends of mine telling me they'd spend weekends eating, sleeping, and playing SOCOM until the sun came up.

Like most of you, I'm still not impressed with the animations. I'm hoping they tune that up in the extra month until release. But I think they'll get it right. I'm just wondering if this game will have the effect on me that the PS2 games had on so many other people.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Animations not impressive. But graphically compared to the original S2; It looks better. And the sound is definately better. so my point is that if it has the overall draw, appeal and experience of S2 label me divorced. my wife won't go through that again.

I am discouraged however that slant six is taking on this project. Originally, Zipper was supposed to be making the next installment, but I have heard nothing about slant six before.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Didn't Slant Six do the PSP SOCOM games?

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaZmaTis /forum/post/14246229

Animations not impressive. But graphically compared to the original S2; It looks better. And the sound is definately better. so my point is that if it has the overall draw, appeal and experience of S2 label me divorced. my wife won't go through that again.

I am discouraged however that slant six is taking on this project. Originally, Zipper was supposed to be making the next installment, but I have heard nothing about slant six before.

Zipper is working on something very much bigger in the SOCOM world.

Take it from me, there are many things being said that the next SOCOM game by Zipper should not be called SOCOM 4 because they are setting it up in a MMO style game. It's supposed to be very big.

Sony is keeping quiet about Zipper's work because they don't want to take away from what Slant Six is doing. Expect an announcement within a year or so of Confrontation's release.

It would be a crying shame if Sony decided to release Zipper's version of the game after a year of Slant Six' version. It would very much take away from the SOCOM game and cheat the consumers. They should have learned their lesson when the released Combined Assault shortly after SOCOM III.

The community for SOCOM: Confrontation is supposed to be very very big and Slant Six has made many promises to keep the up to date and very fresh. Time shall tell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts