AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a used soda gun system to complete my home theater experience. I got a great price on it, and the previous owner was very helpful when it came to setting up. But now I'm trying to tweak the system and I can't find any information at all. I'm stumped and getting frustrated.

Does anyone own a wunderbar soda gun? If so, I could use some answers to the following questions:

- There are two screws for each syrup line (and water line) that connect to the gun harness for (supposedly) adjusting the syrup/soda ratio. What do each of these individual screws actually control? I'm trying to set my soda water-to-syrup ratio and I can't seem to determine which screw does what. So far, I believe the inner screw (furthest from incoming syrup line) adjusts the syrup flow, but I have no idea what the outer screw does. (When asked, the previous owners answer was "I don't know. I just fiddled with both of them til it worked")

- Is there anyway to increase the carbonation? Currently, the soda is carbonated and fizzy when it hits the glass, and small bubbles cling to the inside of the glass, but after a few seconds the fizzing stops and the soda itself tastes a bit flat. I imagine that the soda isn't cold enough to retain the carbonation (the cold plate brings the carbonated water down to about 36 degrees, but the sodawater/syrup mixture is a few degrees warmer since the syrup isn't cooled), but I'm hoping that there may be another way to correct this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'd love to get a soda gun but was concerned about the maintenance required to keep it running.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I found this site a while ago - they have some pics in there with some home theatre set-ups.
http://www.athomesoda.com/sys-tmpl/door/

Systems start around $1700...a little pricey for me but if I was going to be in my home long term (20 years or so), it might pay off in the long run as long as you can get the syrup boxes from a fresh source (Sam's club sells them)

Here is another one that will pretty much require you to have an icemaker on hand...but the price is OK
http://sodadispenserdepot.com/pics/8headdropinweb.htm

Here is another Wunder-bar system with no ice chiller needed:
http://sodadispenserdepot.com/pics/s...remote1web.htm

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlydude /forum/post/17153564

Systems start around $1700...a little pricey for me but if I was going to be in my home long term (20 years or so), it might pay off in the long run as long as you can get the syrup boxes from a fresh source (Sam's club sells them)

Just some quick comments about syrup.

First, not every Sam's club sells them. Until recently, the closest Sam's that sold syrups was about 75 miles away from me.

Secondly, I am quickly discovering that some syrups have a very, very short shelf life. While visiting a relative in PA, I visited a Sam's there and found a 2.5 gallon box of Coke Zero. The expiration date was 1 month later. I asked if they had anything in back, and threee different employees told me that the stuff on the shelf was the only stuff they had.

Recently, a local Sam's just began stocking syrup. I grabbed a second box of syrup and ran into the same problem - the product had an expiration date within 4 weeks. Again, I was assured by the employees that this was all they had in stock, and that they replace their stock regularly.

There were other flavors with longer shelf life, but most didn't exceed two months, and only a few were available in 2.5 gallons (the other size is 5 gallons, which is way too much soda for my wife and I).

I have no idea if this is standard, but I have a hard time beleiving that the shelf life on diet soda is 1-2 months. Can anyone can confirm this for me? In the meantime, I'm trying to find other vendors to see if I can track down something with a longer shelf life.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I bought my system from http://athomesoda.com and am very happy. There are pictures of my system at http://pblq.com/Soda.html

I get my syrup from a local restaurant that orders it for me, and sells it to me at the price that they pay. The more that they order, the better price they get, so it benefits both of us. I find the shelf life of the stuff that I get from this place is around 2-3 months. It is good for around a month after that.

Not having to deal with cans, bottles, and worrying about keeping soda cold is worth it to me.

·
Registered
560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy /forum/post/17017100

- There are two screws for each syrup line (and water line) that connect to the gun harness for (supposedly) adjusting the syrup/soda ratio. What do each of these individual screws actually control? I'm trying to set my soda water-to-syrup ratio and I can't seem to determine which screw does what. So far, I believe the inner screw (furthest from incoming syrup line) adjusts the syrup flow, but I have no idea what the outer screw does. (When asked, the previous owners answer was "I don't know. I just fiddled with both of them til it worked")

One of the screws is a shutoff screw (I think the one that is closest to where the pipe comes in). You need to put that one parallel to the path of the syrup. The other one is used to vary the amount of syrup that goes in.

Typically the way you set this up is first set the carbonated water to a good amount (typically filling up a 12 ounce glass in three seconds), and then adjust each of the syrups to match the 5 to 1 ratio. You need a seperator and Brix cup which allows you to match the levels of carbonated water and syrup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy /forum/post/17017100

- Is there anyway to increase the carbonation? Currently, the soda is carbonated and fizzy when it hits the glass, and small bubbles cling to the inside of the glass, but after a few seconds the fizzing stops and the soda itself tastes a bit flat. I imagine that the soda isn't cold enough to retain the carbonation (the cold plate brings the carbonated water down to about 36 degrees, but the sodawater/syrup mixture is a few degrees warmer since the syrup isn't cooled), but I'm hoping that there may be another way to correct this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you pour just a carbonated water glass is it bubbly? If it is not then your carbonator might not be working well. The other issue is with high water pressure in a house. I had very high water pressure so it caused the tank to fill up too quickly with water, so the carbonation was not as good as it should have been. I put a pressure regulator on the water line, and reduced the pressure to 40 PSI, and it made the carbonation better. Also make sure that the regulator for the CO2 is set to the correct value.

Reedl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts