AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had initially planned to have my soffits inside the soundproofed room but re-locating one of my HVAC runs will not be practical. The picture below shows the duct that I will have to enclose. Just want confirmation on my approach. My thought is to attach the soffit directly to the wall and ceiling then clip and channel around the soffit with DD afterwards. Is that about right? I'm trying to envision how to join the inside drywall corners as there won't be any direct support behind them but I can figure that out when I get there.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,974 Posts
if you add clips and channel to the soffit framing and then do double layers of 5/8 drywall, the drywall can extend well past the channel and hang there in a "cantilevered" configuration for the inside corners , Outside too. Just like the first channel for the ceiling is 6-8 inches from the perimeter.

Another approach is to build the walls and ceiling and then hang a soffit off the decoupled walls and ceiling, skipping clips and channel, the result is a smaller soffit, but you've got that stupid PVC pipe in the way.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You could build a decoupled second wall, which would be good for sound isolating from the other room through your door, then build out around the soffit and attch to the ceiling using IB3 clips. Esentially building a fully decoupled wall/soffit all in one. It's what I did in my home theater, can see picks if you lookup my build thread. I kind of built a room within a room along the walls and attached everything to the ceiling joists using Ib3 clips.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Soffit - before or after confirmaton

if you add clips and channel to the soffit framing and then do double layers of 5/8 drywall, the drywall can extend well past the channel and hang there in a "cantilevered" configuration for the inside corners , Outside too. Just like the first channel for the ceiling is 6-8 inches from the perimeter.

Another approach is to build the walls and ceiling and then hang a soffit off the decoupled walls and ceiling, skipping clips and channel, the result is a smaller soffit, but you've got that stupid PVC pipe in the way.
Hello Jeff,

I built the soffit frame (see attached pictures), but having second thoughts and would like to confirm with you.

This current method although strong would cost more for clips/ channels and acoustic sealant and not to mention the build itself with so many joins.

I am planning to remove it, do the clip/channel/osb/gg/dw on the slant surface(~40inch) with one additional channel and then later build the soffit inside the shell.

PLease share thoughts suggestions on planning for bass traps into the soffit sizes

Regards,
NJ

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,974 Posts
I think the frame first method requires 3 more channels and related clips. otherwise without you can do the slant with three. the soffit takes 2 bottom, 2 fronts, then 2 above, total of 6. One vote remove the soffit framing and built it after the room is drywalled.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think the frame first method requires 3 more channels and related clips. otherwise without you can do the slant with three. the soffit takes 2 bottom, 2 fronts, then 2 above, total of 6. One vote remove the soffit framing and built it after the room is drywalled.
Thats all i need to hear, Big. its coming down today. With 38 " slant height, 3 channel should be sufficient to take the weight of soffit, right?

Once OSB/Drywalled I will build the soffit. Any recommendations on the size and openings to get the best for bass traps?

regards,

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts